Boycotting

Some very sad stories from dedicated fans ☹️

By the sounds of it, in some cases the disconnect might prove to be terminal, can the club ever return to its former self or will this curse hang over us for a prolonged period?

So many years of just going through the motions without any real direction, the life is being sucked out of the club.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Some very sad stories from dedicated fans ☹️

By the sounds of it, in some cases the disconnect might prove to be terminal, can the club ever return to its former self or will this curse hang over us for a prolonged period?

So many years of just going through the motions without any real direction, the life is being sucked out of the club.

My worry is that I get out of the habit and don’t go back. Looking at some of the responses to things we post as Push The Boundary, the love is still there. With a concerted effort and the right scenarios, the attendances could be boosted massively. 

The right takeover could hopefully change our fortunes overnight. There will definitely be people out there who are interested.

The realistic price of the club has surely got to be at the lowest it’s been for a long long time. He owns no bricks & mortar and the on field value at the end of this season will be practically zero so there’ll be no fire sale and IMO there’s no way AL can recoup his ‘alleged’ investment.

Despite the club being ‘Not For Sale’ surely the chance of a quick exit would be tempting for him. The value of the club is probably reducing month on month.

One can only hope!!!

*************ABDALLAH OUT*************

ST holder for years previously:

3 free on someone else's ST

1 midweek I was in London for anyway

1 was abroad

2 paid for and attended

2 not attended due to other stuff on - would have gone if I had my own ST

1 just didn't bother - as above

I only get over to a game once a season. 

I want my two young sons to have Latics as their team like I’ve had all my life. 

One has been to a match - the other might be old enough next season. 

But I’m all-in with PTB. I’m committing to the steps they set out. 

Sure, it might mean my youngest doesn’t get to a match if the boycott is stepped up further - but unless we make a stand the odds of him getting to see Latics are even slimmer in my opinion. 

We put aside money all year to splurge on jerseys and all that stuff when we go over and order stuff online when that’s actually possible. So it’s just one family - but it adds up. 

We’ll still put aside the money - it’s just that now we hope it will go to a new regime. 

Anyway, rant over. Time for a can of beer. Have a good one tomorrow. 

Happy Christmas and more power to us in 2020. 

Missed last week was too ill, watched on TV and missed it massively. Regardless of the shit show in charge I will still be going home games. Call me cynical but if we were in the playoffs come April/May, even if Barry Owen was personally taking a shit on every fans lawn, people would be flooding back. 

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

What kind of model do you get for the admission price at BP? 

depends on what and where we are shooting would typicaly spend around £75 on a day watching latics with food parking programme etc so can get high quality model for 3 hrs 

39 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

My worry is that I get out of the habit and don’t go back. Looking at some of the responses to things we post as Push The Boundary, the love is still there. With a concerted effort and the right scenarios, the attendances could be boosted massively. 

I hope so, for all of our sakes

I'll be at the Morecambe game ofcourse as it's a Homer for me but will also be making the trip for the Salford game, it's always a shit drive over from here, with the return usually worse.

We have to keep the faith or it's over.

16 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Missed last week was too ill, watched on TV and missed it massively. Regardless of the shit show in charge I will still be going home games. Call me cynical but if we were in the playoffs come April/May, even if Barry Owen was personally taking a shit on every fans lawn, people would be flooding back. 

To paraphrase Barry  - a little shit on the lawn is a dangerous thing . 

It hurts to see so many die hard fans turning their backs on the club they have fallen in love with. Sadly, I'm in the same camp.

I've only done Newport and Swindon this season and I normally manage around 10 or more away games each season. It's very unlikely I'll do any more this season unless there is a huge upturn in the way the club is run; and that means new owners.

I'll keep listening on iFollow in the hope that, at least, we do ok on the field, but that's about it. Sad times indeed, but I wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas.

Being in exile since 1973 and having all my Oldham based family pass away the only link I now have to my motherland is Latics , so as much as I dislike what is happening at BP I won’t be boycotting , it would feel like I was cutting my final links to my home !

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Call me cynical but if we were in the playoffs come April/May, even if Barry Owen was personally taking a shit on every fans lawn, people would be flooding back. 

I wouldn’t say cynical. Probably realistic! But I’d say really unlikely, especially this season. Too many shit players and no money left to strengthen due to shit decisions already made. The instability and poor decision-making has contributed to the disconnect and the uninspiring on-pitch showing. If the former changes, the latter two may as well. 

I had a season ticket ticket last season but didn’t go after Scholes went. There was something about it that was the final straw after my interest seeping away throughout the previous couple of seasons. But I’d kept going due to having hope. It was a pivotal point where I realised I no longer had any hope of improvement on the pitch, and the disconnect was unlike anything I’d ever felt before. 

Latics used to to be such a big part of my life. I lived elsewhere for 9 years while training. And came back as much as I could for Latics games. I moved back to oldham at the first opportunity. I’ve made huge amounts of friends and acquaintances through Latics and most of my family still have season tickets. Some (including all my family) strongly disagree with my stance, and there’s friction / bad feeling. I met my husband through Latics. At least we’re on the same page 😁

Saturdays since May have included being away on holiday / weekends away, doing housey stuff, going to to OEC on home match days and trying to keep in touch with Latics friends, including other boycotters, listening to the match on ifollow. Like others have said, there’s no jumping around when we score, and we just look at each other and roll our eyes when we concede. I like having more of a free weekend. I’m worried I like it a bit too much. 

So I was no longer enjoying Latics for 2-3 years (but carried on going things would maybe get better), but that has turned into a boycott when I lost hope under this regime. 

Sorry, that was going to be a really short post... 😆

46 minutes ago, peanuts said:

depends on what and where we are shooting would typicaly spend around £75 on a day watching latics with food parking programme etc so can get high quality model for 3 hrs 

Sounds incredible value considering the Georgian Special is £220 for an hour.

12 minutes ago, Fanny Adams said:

Sounds incredible value considering the Georgian Special is £220 for an hour.

wouldnt know as not having sex with them im taking pictures there is a massive difference try anything sexual would result in no more bookings as word gets around very fast 

Really sad reading all these comments. Latics has been my only hobby for 20 years, had a season ticket for 15 years prior to this season. Been to over 80 grounds in this period, and went 4 years without missing a single league game. This season i’ve been to 1 home game in August, and Bradford away. It’s very much like a break up, and i’m not missing it at all. I have absolutely no affiliation to the club anymore, i’ve never been so pissed off after Bradford when I watched Sefil play in a latics shirt. 
I haven’t even really found an alternative thing to do on a Saturday yet, in the beginning I would watch the game on ifollow, but I haven’t even done that for months. 
I honestly don’t even think it’s all Abdallah either, it’s been 5 years of year on year decreases in games attended, I couldn’t even be bothered attending the protest the other week, I could very easily have turned up but just didn’t bother. 
I used to come on here at least 5 times a day, I probably look 2-3 times a week at the moment. 
If someone would have said to me a few years ago I was no longer attending any games, I would not have believed them. 
I hope 1 day I get the bug back, but under this regime I don’t think I will. 

5 hours ago, maddog said:

I wouldn’t say cynical. Probably realistic! But I’d say really unlikely, especially this season. Too many shit players and no money left to strengthen due to shit decisions already made. The instability and poor decision-making has contributed to the disconnect and the uninspiring on-pitch showing. If the former changes, the latter two may as well. 

I had a season ticket ticket last season but didn’t go after Scholes went. There was something about it that was the final straw after my interest seeping away throughout the previous couple of seasons. But I’d kept going due to having hope. It was a pivotal point where I realised I no longer had any hope of improvement on the pitch, and the disconnect was unlike anything I’d ever felt before. 

Latics used to to be such a big part of my life. I lived elsewhere for 9 years while training. And came back as much as I could for Latics games. I moved back to oldham at the first opportunity. I’ve made huge amounts of friends and acquaintances through Latics and most of my family still have season tickets. Some (including all my family) strongly disagree with my stance, and there’s friction / bad feeling. I met my husband through Latics. At least we’re on the same page 😁

Saturdays since May have included being away on holiday / weekends away, doing housey stuff, going to to OEC on home match days and trying to keep in touch with Latics friends, including other boycotters, listening to the match on ifollow. Like others have said, there’s no jumping around when we score, and we just look at each other and roll our eyes when we concede. I like having more of a free weekend. I’m worried I like it a bit too much. 

So I was no longer enjoying Latics for 2-3 years (but carried on going things would maybe get better), but that has turned into a boycott when I lost hope under this regime. 

Sorry, that was going to be a really short post... 😆

Scholes was my final straw too.

13 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

It hurts to see so many die hard fans turning their backs on the club they have fallen in love with. Sadly, I'm in the same camp.

I've only done Newport and Swindon this season and I normally manage around 10 or more away games each season. It's very unlikely I'll do any more this season unless there is a huge upturn in the way the club is run; and that means new owners.

I'll keep listening on iFollow in the hope that, at least, we do ok on the field, but that's about it. Sad times indeed, but I wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas.

You can watch the Salford  match on ifollow for £10.

35 minutes ago, maddog said:

Started by the ridiculous sacking of Bunn? 😤

Exactly, I was pissed off with the Bunn sacking, but once Scholes went that was it (moot point whether he would have been a good manager). Banide's sacking just confirmed my decision was correct. 

I willed that Scholes appointment over the line and once confirmed, I had genuine hope for the future. I had no idea if he’d be any good - none of us did I don’t think, but someone like Paul Scholes at little Oldham Athletic could only have been a good thing long term. For it to end like it did, as quickly as that and on my birthday too was a right kick in the tackle which I’m still reeling from. 

This man, his brother, the ex-copper and all the other cronies need to pack up and clear off out of Oldham forthwith and leave what’s left of us to pick up the pieces and carry on. 

Merry Christmas and a hopeful new year. 

Archived