Scunthorpe (H)

54 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

When one former Latics manager was asked why his goalkeeper always booted the ball on to the opposition's centre backs head he replied."Because there's a 50% chance he will head it straight back to one of ours".

Johnson said similar.  It was not Rooneys job to win the header but to back into the defender and force him to head it down where our midfielders could pick it up. Johnson believed flick ons rarely worked.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming that everyone's fit I'd go with the same XI that started against Salford with Iacovitti replacing Egert.  Not to say that the XI have earned their places, more that I would trust their replacements even less.  Although with a lot of players who are on the borderline of being fit and healthy, who knows what our lineup will look like.

And with that shit post that is pretty representative of the last decade as a whole...happy new year ladies and gents!  Let's hope it's a better one!

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Assuming that everyone's fit I'd go with the same XI that started against Salford with Iacovitti replacing Egert.  Not to say that the XI have earned their places, more that I would trust their replacements even less.  Although with a lot of players who are on the borderline of being fit and healthy, who knows what our lineup will look like.

And with that shit post that is pretty representative of the last decade as a whole...happy new year ladies and gents!  Let's hope it's a better one!

Of those that started on Sunday, the way we finished the game then Egert, Mills, Wheater and McCann must be considered as doubts.

I often seem to go to a different game.  I've been told that we played really well against Salford when in reality the game was over after their first two shots - both on target and both past the keeper.

The ability we have to make mistakes is what costs us so dear.  Maouche giving them the ball on the edge of their box was the first mistake because everyone was out of position.  A rather dumb kick off routine which puts Hamer out of position and with Egert gone missing Salford had half the field to run into for the second.  The good old one two and game over.

Those lucky enough to have seen it will remember Joe played the simple game, like Liverpool now, which was up and at them none of this pass, pass, pass (this could go on forever)...

We dominated the middle and failed miserably at both ends.  I hope it is not the same today.

7 minutes ago, Hands on said:

I often seem to go to a different game.  I've been told that we played really well against Salford when in reality the game was over after their first two shots - both on target and both past the keeper.

The ability we have to make mistakes is what costs us so dear.  Maouche giving them the ball on the edge of their box was the first mistake because everyone was out of position.  A rather dumb kick off routine which puts Hamer out of position and with Egert gone missing Salford had half the field to run into for the second.  The good old one two and game over.

Those lucky enough to have seen it will remember Joe played the simple game, like Liverpool now, which was up and at them none of this pass, pass, pass (this could go on forever)...

We dominated the middle and failed miserably at both ends.  I hope it is not the same today.

Yeah it was shit wasn’t it ? Not something I’m gonna rush to go and pay £22 for anytime soon. I’ll only put myself though it if I get a free ticket at any point ,for the rest of this season at least. 

4 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

You can pay cash mate. I did the same for the Salford match. It’s ONLY £22 and you get to see some real quality players. Although I hear Van Veen is doubtful 😳

😁 thank you.

Caveat emptor?

56 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Nah it was a penalty.

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

It’s weird how these last several seasons under so many managers with supposedly different styles & a huge turnover of players we’ve so often won the passing but lost the scoring and defending. 

With the demented seals considering it having “played well” 

47 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It’s weird how these last several seasons under so many managers with supposedly different styles & a huge turnover of players we’ve so often won the passing but lost the scoring and defending. 

With the demented seals considering it having “played well” 

Amen.

Average to poor managers and average to poor players. Coaching a team to pass it around neatly must be the easiest thing in the world to do at this level, as decent teams just allow you to do it then pick you off when necessary. 

Coaching a passing game that’s effective takes better managers and players than we’ve had generally. 

Archived