Latics go to Police

Not seen this reported today apart from Sky Sports News, so apologies if posted elsewhere.

"Oldham Athletic have made an official complaint to Greater Manchester Police over the financial conduct of the club's previous owners."

A club statement read: "After a lengthy and detailed investigation regarding the financial conduct of the owners of the club before the acquisition by Mr Abdallah Lemsagam, it has been found necessary to make an official complaint to the Greater Manchester Police.

"The allegations are mainly against those who had dealings with Oldham Council when grant money was allocated to the club towards the building of the North Stand.

The police should definitely get down to Boundary Park. There’s quite a few impersonators down there, pretending to be professional footballers. I’m not sure if it’s an offence or not but I’d like them taken away as soon as possible all the same! 😡

5 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Speaking of legal matters - all beginning to smell a bit Blackpool, isn't it?

https://twitter.com/BradleyKnowles1/status/1213491409984139264?s=20

3 hours ago, singe said:

Suing fans might be the owners main income stream....

The below was my advice to Billy (Thursday just gone) on another thread. I sincerely hope my gut feeling wasn't correct and that no Latics fan ends up being pursued for defamation. If they are, I think things will become very, very bitter - and maybe even nasty.

Billy - I think a lot of fans appreciate your candid tweets (or whatever they were lol - I`m not on any social media). Just a few words of advice - be very careful what you write - if certain people are as poisonous as many claim, then it would not surprise me if one/all of them "went for the jugular" (of someone) via the courts around alleged defamation once they thought they had sufficient evidence.

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

The below was my advice to Billy (Thursday just gone) on another thread. I sincerely hope my gut feeling wasn't correct and that no Latics fan ends up being pursued for defamation. If they are, I think things will become very, very bitter - and maybe even nasty.

Billy - I think a lot of fans appreciate your candid tweets (or whatever they were lol - I`m not on any social media). Just a few words of advice - be very careful what you write - if certain people are as poisonous as many claim, then it would not surprise me if one/all of them "went for the jugular" (of someone) via the courts around alleged defamation once they thought they had sufficient evidence.

I'm.no legal expert but surely the cost of a defamation case, out weighs the point of it and must be very hard to prove. 

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

I'm.no legal expert but surely the cost of a defamation case, out weighs the point of it and must be very hard to prove. 

Just issuing a claim and putting the pressure on an individual can cause immense stress. You don't have to go all the way - settlement can be agreed early in the process. Don't forget, the regime has a solicitor on board presently. Any "normal" fan would not be able to afford legal representation and would be eaten alive. Additionally, IF it went all the way and the case was proven - then who knows - a fan could conceivably lose their home (or equity in it) in order to pay the damages awarded and the associated legal fees of the claimant. It's a very sobering situation and is why I always genuinely advise people to be very careful what they put in writing on social media.

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

11 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Just issuing a claim and putting the pressure on an individual can cause immense stress. You don't have to go all the way - settlement can be agreed early in the process. Don't forget, the regime has a solicitor on board presently. Any "normal" fan would not be able to afford legal representation and would be eaten alive. Additionally, IF it went all the way and the case was proven - then who knows - a fan could conceivably lose their home (or equity in it) in order to pay the damages awarded and the associated legal fees of the claimant. It's a very sobering situation and is why I always genuinely advise people to be very careful what they put in writing on social media.

I'm no legal expert either but getting a random intermediary to tell someone else they are being sued isn't normal practice. It's the sort of thing courts might not look kindly upon. 

I've not had any dealings with this Partington, that I'm aware of. But he strikes me as the sort of person who revels in being AL's messenger when he isn't. 

If AL wanted to sue fans for their social media output there are a few who would be a lot higher up the list than Brad. 

13 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Fuck me !! Lose your house over saying some footballers are shit ? 

9 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Fuck me !! Lose your house over saying some footballers are shit ? 

Not quite as simple as that simply is it? But yes, of course someone could lose their house if a defamation case was successful; depending on the damages and legal costs incurred. 

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I've not had any dealings with this Partington, that I'm aware of. But he strikes me as the sort of person who revels in being AL's messenger when he isn't. 

As has been mentioned before - he's a former Oldham police officer. Was a contemporary of Barry Owen's - and served on the same division. May be just a co-incidence of course but, from what people are saying, yes he certainly does seem to becoming embroiled a lot in supporting the cause of the regime.

32 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

As has been mentioned before - he's a former Oldham police officer. Was a contemporary of Barry Owen's - and served on the same division. May be just a co-incidence of course but, from what people are saying, yes he certainly does seem to becoming embroiled a lot in supporting the cause of the regime.

If that’s true, then it’s definitely not a coincidence!

On 1/5/2020 at 11:19 AM, Gary1906 said:

The police should definitely get down to Boundary Park. There’s quite a few impersonators down there, pretending to be professional footballers. I’m not sure if it’s an offence or not but I’d like them taken away as soon as possible all the same! 😡

Quality 😂👏

Archived