Cheltenham (A)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said earlier, what was the point in bringing N'Guessan in to warm the bench all afternoon? I just hope it wasn't either of the numbnuts sticking their oar in and telling Dino "Maouche and Branger must play at some stage".

Or am I just paranoid?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we play better at the point where none of the #frenchlads started?

3 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

The commentators on GMR said our captain was easily our best player, how bad were the rest?  

1 hour ago, trickyrickyholden said:

I agree he probably was. And yes that shows how bad the rest were.

1 hour ago, trickyrickyholden said:

This is the key. Wheater plays well within himself, steady 7/10, sometimes a bit more. However, we hoped he would also act as a leader and drag the rest along. He hasnt been interested in that. We desperately need that.

So the player who cost us two goals was our best player? Nah, not having that. He won a number of aerial challenges but is too easy to get in behind. His pace has gone and, playing in a back line such as ours, there is no one with the ability to bail him out. Hamer was the only other one of the back four to come out with some credit.

This was overall a poor team performance. Mills gave the ball away countless times and missed a glorious chance to  equalise. Nepomuceno worked hard but didn’t seem to want to take on his fullback. Segbe and Wilson ran around to little purpose. The ball just doesn’t stick when played in to them. Missilou was subjected to some heavy fouling early on and subsequently had little influence on the game. Jones and Sylla were simply overrun in the middle of the park. Our shooting is ineffective and only one effort, the Eagles shot in the second half, caused the substitute keeper to make a decent save. Branger came on and looked way off the pace. 

And a few thoughts on the tactics employed today. As is the way, we brought every single player back at corners (even when two down ffs) and when Cheltenham took a short corner we sent out a single player to close them down. We were caught out on numerous occasions when attempting to play out from the back. Dino spent most of the game barking orders at the team and I genuinely believe that this approach is having an adverse affect on many of the players.

Another frustrating, disappointing display. 

15 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I said earlier, what was the point in bringing N'Guessan in to warm the bench all afternoon? I just hope it wasn't either of the numbnuts sticking their oar in and telling Dino "Maouche and Branger must play at some stage".

Or am I just paranoid?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we play better at the point where none of the #frenchlads started?

I couldn’t get my head around this when I was listening today. Dino made a big thing about bringing in better players when the window opened as the squad we have isn’t good enough. He brought in a central midfielder yet played 4 other central midfielders ahead of him in a game we were comfortably beaten in. Just bizarre. 

32 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So the player who cost us two goals was our best player? Nah, not having that. He won a number of aerial challenges but is too easy to get in behind. His pace has gone and, playing in a back line such as ours, there is no one with the ability to bail him out. Hamer was the only other one of the back four to come out with some credit.

This was overall a poor team performance. Mills gave the ball away countless times and missed a glorious chance to  equalise. Nepomuceno worked hard but didn’t seem to want to take on his fullback. Segbe and Wilson ran around to little purpose. The ball just doesn’t stick when played in to them. Missilou was subjected to some heavy fouling early on and subsequently had little influence on the game. Jones and Sylla were simply overrun in the middle of the park. Our shooting is ineffective and only one effort, the Eagles shot in the second half, caused the substitute keeper to make a decent save. Branger came on and looked way off the pace. 

And a few thoughts on the tactics employed today. As is the way, we brought every single player back at corners (even when two down ffs) and when Cheltenham took a short corner we sent out a single player to close them down. We were caught out on numerous occasions when attempting to play out from the back. Dino spent most of the game barking orders at the team and I genuinely believe that this approach is having an adverse affect on many of the players.

As many know I'm all for managers showing passion, but Dino shouts out so many instructions I feel it affects the players concentration.

28 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I couldn’t get my head around this when I was listening today. Dino made a big thing about bringing in better players when the window opened as the squad we have isn’t good enough. He brought in a central midfielder yet played 4 other central midfielders ahead of him in a game we were comfortably beaten in. Just bizarre. 

Did Dino bring him in?

Right then I'm going to try and dissect that appalling performance.

1st goal for them was well worked, but way too easily conceded.  Wheater got beaten easily by Campbell but no one covered themselves in glory and the players in the box could've been better placed to block the shot.  Then Zeus gets away with a potential howler, not convinced that May handled it if I'm honest.  2nd goal Wheater got turned easily but again god knows what the rest of the defence was doing afterwards!  3rd goal was a good run down and skilful finish by Broom which stood out in a low quality match, but the match was over as a contest by then.

They were solid with a sprinkling of quality from Broom, but it says a lot that they are now 5th in the league at the halfway point because they weren't anything special.  As for us?  Really dire.  Up there with the worst Latics team performances I can remember.  5 man defence and Zeus were so clumsy, midfield 3 had no creativity and little urgency and the front 2 did try, but absolutely nothing stuck to them and the ball kept coming back.  Maouche and Eagles at least offered a little bit of quality when they came on but not enough to call their performances good.  Branger was poor.

Zeus – some OK play but way too many poor bits of play and scary moments.  I'd pick Woods over him.

Mills – pretty average League Two right back, not a great performance.
Hamer – thought he was pretty poor and looks uncertain at the back.  It can't be great for his development being part of this team.  That his long throws were our biggest threat for the first 60 minutes speaks volumes.
Wheater – made mistakes for 2 goals, yet he was probably most competent starter.  This doesn't mean that he played well, but I'm terrified of what the rest of the defence will do without him.  We cannot get away with not replacing him if he goes.
Iacovitti – so he isn't very good that’s for sure and like the rest of the squad I'd have no problem if he's replaced, but he was no worse than the rest today (it was pretty hard to be).
Nepomuceno – poor, think he'll get better but he doesn't look in great shape if I'm honest.

Sylla – alright at breaking up play, but not very quick and quite cumbersome.  Useful in some matches but not great today.
Missilou – he was at his best when he was breaking up play like at Fulham last year (we've dropped like a stone since then) I can understand him lacking fitness after injury, but why we had him advanced to support the strikers I have no idea.  Poor selection by Dino.
Jones - I'm sure he has ability on the ball, but he was nowhere near the pace of the match.

Azankpo – tries hard, but not of the quality we should be putting up with.  Better when cutting inside from the flanks but a squad player at best.
Wilson – my biggest criticism of him is his first touch which is really poor, but I feel for him.  He's clearly got some finishing ability when he has the right support around him.  He definitely doesn't have that here.  He's the shining example of the club's terrible recruitment strategy last summer.

Subs:
Maouche – his ability on the ball stood out like a sore thumb when he came on, which is why we're 20th in League Two.
Eagles – not great, but had a best effort on goal.
Branger – poor in the little time he had.

Dino – has to take responsibility for such an awful display.  I'm not convinced that he's the man to lead our charge back up the leagues, but bringing in a different shit manager (let's be honest, we aren't going to bring in anyone decent for the rest of the season) will be worse than sticking with Dino.

This really is as bad as I can think of at the club.  The only blessing I can think of is that every player bar five are out of contract at the end of the season.  I'd give Dino until the end of the season and let him have the transfer window to bring in players until then because we really should stick with a manager for more than three months and going off his record so far he should be able to keep us up this season.  It's abundantly clear that things won't get better on the pitch until we sort out all the shit off it, so we shouldn't change things unnecessarily unless there's a clear plan for a way forward.  The rest of the season will be painful to watch, but if we can make progress off the pitch in trying to improve the club then it will be short term pain for long term gain.

28 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

After that awful performance today its makes Brill look good

Nice to see Tom Eaves hattrick  today..I always rated his ability from the  reserve games I  used to go to watch.

It has occurred to me after that truly dreadful shambles of a “performance” today that there is not a single highlight from an Oldham perspective that I can remember: no shot, great pass, crunching tackle , heroic block, brilliant save, anything....simply an abject surrender, a routine defeat to a fairly average opponent 

The worst Oldham Athletic squad I can remember in fifty odd years 

Sad scenes at the end with the fans booing our pathetic looking players as they tried to applaud us and some shouting at Dino to resign but if they really think the Manager is the cause of this debacle they are deluded....the blame lies with Corney, Blitz, Gazal, AL, Mo and Owen......death by a thousand cuts

Tbh I wasn't expecting anything but that today - we are just toothless - none of this lot can score goals - best we can hope for is to try to grind out some results and hope at least one of the other teams can't. 

The more I watch and listen to Dino- the more he sounds and looks like a first team coach or an assistant , rather than a 'manager' .

9 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The rest of the season will be painful to watch, but if we can make progress off the pitch in trying to improve the club then it will be short term pain for long term gain.

As long as we survive in this league...

7 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

that there is not a single highlight from an Oldham perspective that I can remember: no shot, great pass, crunching tackle , heroic block, brilliant save, anything..

Eagles shot second half brilliantly saved by the sub keeper?

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As long as we survive in this league...

I'd prefer it if we did as it would make things easier going forward, but it's bigger than that now.  If the Lemsagam's are still part of the club by August we'll be well and truly screwed either way.

Just watched the highlights, the goals and the defence were absolutely abysmal. All three could easily have been avoided and defenders were simply ball watching.

The disallowed goal for handball when Le Paz came charging out of his area should have stood and looked a bad decision to me. In fairness it could and should have been another hammering!

To produce a performance like that immediately after the shite we witnessed against Scunthorpe is totally unacceptable. 

The majority of the players look like they’ve given up and that is inexcusable!!

I also just heard Dino’s post match comments and that was embarrassing too! 

If we cant avoid defeat in our next three games we will be in deep shit. We are now haemorrhaging goals for fun, couple that with our total inability to find the net at the other end and it spells disaster.

I honestly think if we manage to stay up it will be by the skin of our teeth!

************ABDALLAH OUT*************

12 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Agreed and more or less how I saw it on ifollow.

15 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Maouche did more in 17 minutes than the rest of the midfield put together all game.

It's true he was industrious, but what exactly did he achieve?

More or less the same as Jones who'd just been coasting for 72 minutes - nothing.

21 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

It has occurred to me after that truly dreadful shambles of a “performance” today that there is not a single highlight from an Oldham perspective that I can remember: no shot, great pass, crunching tackle , heroic block, brilliant save, anything....simply an abject surrender, a routine defeat to a fairly average opponent 

The worst Oldham Athletic squad I can remember in fifty odd years 

Sad scenes at the end with the fans booing our pathetic looking players as they tried to applaud us and some shouting at Dino to resign but if they really think the Manager is the cause of this debacle they are deluded....the blame lies with Corney, Blitz, Gazal, AL, Mo and Owen......death by a thousand cuts

I agree with every word of this. I was at the game, my first since we lost 1-0 at FGR at the start of the season. Not sure I've ever seen a more dysfunctional team performance. You'd be forgiven for thinking that these players had never played together before.

Maouche when he came on looked good, but there was still no end product. Others who've seen him far more often than me will not have been convinced by his performance. I suspect he's a lower league Pogba - very good if he has quality players around him, but average or worse in a poor side.

Dino is clearly not improving this team based on what I saw yesterday, but sacking him will change nothing. 

Have avoided all things Latics since getting home from the game Saturday...in fact I drank that much Saturday night that I caught a clip of the Voice on the telebox and just thought Pixie Lott has had a good Christmas! 
Monday morning and reading through this thread pretty much sums up my thoughts on our complete ineptitude in both boxes, these last 3 games have finally done me in, I’m going to go and watch local none league for a few weeks, need a break from the toxicity that surrounds the club at the moment. 
Special mention to the dickheads booing their keeper whilst he’s being treated by medical staff and clearly injured. Some even started singing “let him die”??? Absolute fucking morons, mainly young lads who’ve had a couple of cans of fruity cider but some adults among them and those creatures at the front who were also making a tit of themselves at half time.

I used to be proud of our away support but am now equally embarrassed. Good luck to the PTB guys it’s gonna take some effort to get our club back. See ya at Orient!

Archived