Danny Rowe

19 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

He's moved up a league and will do again at some stage, he won't be worrying about his own ability amongst what we have 😂

Not so sure. 

It seems a bit of a "now or never" move for him, where improved coaching and management might help him further with his career. 

I'd say we're in the worst place we've ever been as a club, and are probably currently the worst club he could've picked in the league, to offer that opportunity to him...

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I've seen him play a few times before, but was still surprised today how often he dropped deep to get the ball and create chances for others (particularly Smith). 

I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of scoring himself. 

He really didn't look out of place at all though at this level. 

All those getting snotty about him coming from Fylde need to remember they were one game away from being in L2 last season. 

I'd much rather see him playing than someone picked for having the right agent. 

totally agree he looked neat and tidy but wasn't really a threat, although the appalling service from centre mid is to blame for that. i just hope like you that he doesnt do that long term as he has the best scoring record out of everyone we have so id want him on the end of things. dearnley prob had more touches in the penalty area than him today and he was a positive for me i thought he looked decent when he came on and id be looking for them two to form the partnership out of who we have int he squad

Interesting how people see games differently. I thought Dearnley was bloody awful. His first touch when clean through from that magnificent pass from maouche was almost longer than the original pass. He also missed our best chance in the box. Let's hope your assessment of him and not mine is the correct one.

1 minute ago, astottie said:

Interesting how people see games differently. I thought Dearnley was bloody awful. His first touch when clean through from that magnificent pass from maouche was almost longer than the original pass. He also missed our best chance in the box. Let's hope your assessment of him and not mine is the correct one.

Agree these 2 things where disappointing but we have to accept he’a rusty after not playing for a while so his touch will get better. 

How smith didn’t play him in late on in the game after a class ball down the channel from Rowe beyond me! To many of

our players have to many touches and to little vision! 

8 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

£30k apparently. Dino no say either. Obviously.

To be fair to AL and ML though, if ML is in charge of recruitment you would have to say that Rowe is potentially a great signing. The recruitment in the past as we all know, has at times been abysmal, but not this time.

Rowe is a proven goalscorer, albeit in a division below, but he’s the type of player that we’ve been crying out for, so fair play to them for going out and getting him.

As for Dino not having a say? Well if Dino didn’t want him I’d say the question mark would be over the manager not the owners. I’m sure he’s quite happy to have him in the ranks. 
COYB ⚽⚽

14 hours ago, astottie said:

I  thought Dearnley looked a bigger goal threat than Segbe or Wilson and worth a start next time seeing as the  other options have failed time and time again.

15 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

To be fair to AL and ML though, if ML is in charge of recruitment you would have to say that Rowe is potentially a great signing. The recruitment in the past as we all know, has at times been abysmal, but not this time.

Rowe is a proven goalscorer, albeit in a division below, but he’s the type of player that we’ve been crying out for, so fair play to them for going out and getting him.

As for Dino not having a say? Well if Dino didn’t want him I’d say the question mark would be over the manager not the owners. I’m sure he’s quite happy to have him in the ranks. 
COYB ⚽⚽

They will get credit when the signings that they bring in prove to be a success but signing a striker shouldn't be seen as an achievement it should be seen as an expectation.

We could be getting to something akin to Conor Browns law i.e. when someone not very good gets credit/a special mention for just doing something thats expected of them anyway.

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

They will get credit when the signings that they bring in prove to be a success but signing a striker shouldn't be seen as an achievement it should be seen as an expectation.

We could be getting to something akin to Conor Browns law i.e. when someone not very good gets credit/a special mention for just doing something thats expected of them anyway.

I think for some people though they will never get any credit no matter what. They could sign Ronaldo and some people would say he’s past it! Far too much negativity around the place. 

1 minute ago, Gary1906 said:

I think for some people though they will never get any credit no matter what. They could sign Ronaldo and some people would say he’s past it! Far too much negativity around the place. 

It is difficult to credit the positives whilst the huge dark shadow of Mo and Shitpeas hangs over our club. 

8 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Christ look how excited people got when we signed David Wheater and Danny Rowe. Even Zak Mills got people excited.

Its not negativity at all its too far the other way people are far to accepting of mediocrity.

I'll remind you that we are at a 50 year low right now.

14 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

The owner and his cohorts are beating all the positivity out of us. 

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Christ look how excited people got when we signed David Wheater and Danny Rowe. Even Zak Mills got people excited.

Its not negativity at all its too far the other way people are far to accepting of mediocrity.

I'll remind you that we are at a 50 year low right now.

I wasn’t excited when we signed Wheater, I would have much preferred it if we’d kept Clarkey. I’d never heard of Zak Mills. I do think Danny Rowe is a good signing though.

I know where we are, and it’s not a good place. I went to my first ever match in 1966 when I was 5.

i don’t actually know what the answer is, but I don’t think boycotting is the right thing to do personally, but each to their own.

I will have been too young to take any notice at the time but I wonder if there was boycotting when we were applying for re-election all those years ago?

Cant have been going too well for us back then either.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

...Its not negativity at all its too far the other way people are far to accepting of mediocrity...

I keep seeing this "accepting of mediocrity"...what does this mean, exactly? 

Different people have different levels of expectation and opinions are subjective, not set in stone. A person labelled as "too accepting of mediocrity" may say they are not setting their expectations too high, given the size, location, fan base and wealth of the club. I understand the rancour directed at the club's regime, as under their stewardship, the club has dropped from the apparent depths of League One to the plumbing the depths of League Two.

I am sure that each and every fan would love for Latics to rise through the leagues, in true fairy tale fashion and shrug-off the "mediocrity" under some new and wealthy regime. I don't think it will ever happen, to be honest and a return to League One looks a million miles away at the moment. Either stick with it and hope for change or stay away and hope to effect change by protest. We really shouldn't be criticising each other for taking either option.

As some often say "form is transient" but so is fortune.

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Different people have different levels of expectation and opinions are subjective, not set in stone. A person labelled as "too accepting of mediocrity" may say they are not setting their expectations too high, given the size, location, fan base and wealth of the club. I understand the rancour directed at the club's regime, as under their stewardship, the club has dropped from the apparent depths of League One to the plumbing the depths of League Two.

I am sure that each and every fan would love for Latics to rise through the leagues, in true fairy tale fashion and shrug-off the "mediocrity" under some new and wealthy regime. I don't think it will ever happen, to be honest and a return to League One looks a million miles away at the moment. Either stick with it and hope for change or stay away and hope to effect change by protest. We really shouldn't be criticising each other for taking either option.

That's very true, I think whats a concern for many is the constant decline without any real periods of success for so long.

Fortune and form are transient but I think proper planning and preparation can avoid too much of a dip in either.

This regime have in my opinion made a massive mistake with their model for the club and it took them an age to realise it (if they ever have).

Its not just about them but they are the reason we are currently where we are.

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I  thought Dearnley looked a bigger goal threat than Segbe or Wilson and worth a start next time seeing as the  other options have failed time and time again.

Dearnley was getting into positions where I hoped Rowe would be.

17 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

Dearnley was getting into positions where I hoped Rowe would be.

Terrible thought, Dino isn't making a point that he is not getting signings he wants by telling him he has a lot to learn, playing him out of his strengths is he? 

3 hours ago, Wardie said:

I don't know about you but the reason I fell in love with the club was because we were constantly punching above our weight. Sure, I'd see us on the wrong end of proper towellings regularly, but 4-5 times a season we'd turn on the style and bring a supposed big club down to our level. Just them few times are like a drug. Irresistible; which made all the towellings, shite performances and bitter defeats worth every minute of it.

The punching above our weight feeling seems to have all but evaporated. Take out Fulham away, I'm struggling to remember occasions in the last five years. The Peterborough win may have been one, but that was around five years back. Clubs way above us in the league, not bigger in fanbase or stature have left us way behind. They're the ones punching above our weight, now we're the ones accepting our impending fate. Relegation, under this regime just seems inevitable be it this season, or the next.

Hope and ambition are two relatively simple things that kept me going. They've removed that.

4 hours ago, Wardie said:

Fortune doesn't seem to be transient for us.  We don't seem to have had any luck since we stayed in the Premier League on the last day of the season in 1993.

I think you've got to make your own luck a bit and none of our owners have had any inkling of how to do that for about 26 years - the latest vastly less so than any of the others.

57 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't know about you but the reason I fell in love with the club was because we were constantly punching above our weight. Sure, I'd see us on the wrong end of proper towellings regularly, but 4-5 times a season we'd turn on the style and bring a supposed big club down to our level. Just them few times are like a drug. Irresistible; which made all the towellings, shite performances and bitter defeats worth every minute of it.

The punching above our weight feeling seems to have all but evaporated. Take out Fulham away, I'm struggling to remember occasions in the last five years. The Peterborough win may have been one, but that was around five years back. Clubs way above us in the league, not bigger in fanbase or stature have left us way behind. They're the ones punching above our weight, now we're the ones accepting our impending fate. Relegation, under this regime just seems inevitable be it this season, or the next.

Hope and ambition are two relatively simple things that kept me going. They've removed that.

Apart from my brother taking me to Latics in the 1970s [I was actually a Man Utd fan as a kid, even had the red top with the white round collar] I lost touch but got back in the late 80s and even more committed as time went on, taking my daughters along with me. I know what you mean by the tonkings followed by amazing results and the joy off seeing off the bigger clubs on the way. BP was like a home from home, I used to take the girls to watch training on Little Wembley whenever I could and they would collect autographs and speak to the players. It was a family friendly club and a very addictive way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

The promotion to Div 1 was such a joyous occasion, a huge hangover the day after and the excitement of things to come for the club has never been matched since. Of course, this being Oldham Athletic, I think the lack of vision and ambition was the thing that reversed the fortunes and the beginning of a spiral that has yet to be arrested. There certainly has been good times since and I would say the Dowie era was my favourite, i really thought a corner had been turned, but it was not to be.

We are lucky, some fans [even amongst our own] have never experienced what we have and the nature of football has and always will be the same...maybe not for the greedy premiership...but teams come and teams go. Maybe we are not so lucky to have had those highs, after all.

Archived