Danny Rowe

45 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Fortune doesn't seem to be transient for us.  We don't seem to have had any luck since we stayed in the Premier League on the last day of the season in 1993.

I think you've got to make your own luck a bit and none of our owners have had any inkling of how to do that for about 26 years - the latest vastly less so than any of the others.

That day is etched in my memory and I took my mate into the Rocky Road, he was a Saints fan. I would pinpoint the Hughes goal as the marked turn in fortune, if only big Joe had made the sub, wasted some time. I agree, the ownership side has steadily declined and the club is now in the hands of a complete imbecile. Where will it end, who knows? I can't ever see a financial knight in shining armour coming to the rescue.

My hope is that AL blunders, somehow, onto the right manager who gets the right combo of players and tactics and gets the club back into League One. This league is just too close for comfort to what could be the final drop.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Wardie said:

I keep seeing this "accepting of mediocrity"...what does this mean, exactly? 

I am sure that each and every fan would love for Latics to rise through the leagues, in true fairy tale fashion and shrug-off the "mediocrity" 

Some of our fans don't think that would be deserved and, therefore, it shouldn't happen.

The ones who regularly put forward the theory that we are where we should be & so shouldn't hope for/ask for/expect anything better.

They do this in a knowing, high handed Nigel Pearson-esque fashion.

They don't seem to grasp that one of the main aims of sport, be it a team sport or individual sport, is always attempting to punch above your weight. 

They don't see that success for a manager is producing better results & a better league position than their miserable "we are where we should be" theory suggests we should be. 

They're the ones who worry about "putting too much pressure" on players. On professional footballers.

They worry about the size of the squad and "hope we haven't paid too much" for players - most recently Danny Rowe.

They're the ones who moan about people moaning. Often when nobody has even moaned but they expected people to so go through with their planned moaning about the moaning anyway.

They call people "fickle" for moaning when we're shit and celebrating when we're good.

If we find a bit of form/win a couple of games they proudly announce that they won't be getting carried away and suggest that the rest of us shouldn't either. 

They crack on as if their miserable, life draining outlook is somehow virtuous and that the rest of us are unrealistic and "negative".

Have I missed owt?? 

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Some of our fans don't think that would be deserved and, therefore, it shouldn't happen.

The ones who regularly put forward the theory that we are where we should be & so shouldn't hope for/ask for/expect anything better.

They don't seem to grasp that one of the main aims of sport, be it a team sport or individual sport, is always attempting to punch above your weight. 

They don't see that success for a manager is producing better results & a better league position than their miserable "we are where we should be" theory suggests we should be. 

They're the ones who worry about "putting too much pressure" on players. On professional footballers.

They worry about the size of the squad and "hope we haven't paid too much" for players - most recently Danny Rowe.

They're the ones who moan about people moaning. Often when nobody has even moaned but they expected people to so go through with their planned moaning about the moaning anyway.

They call people "fickle" for moaning when we're shit and celebrating when we're good.

If we find a bit of form/win a couple of games they proudly announce that they won't be getting carried away and suggest that the rest of us shouldn't either. 

They crack on as if their miserable, life draining outlook is somehow virtuous and that the rest of us are unrealistic and "negative".

Have I missed owt?? 

Virtue signallers.

21 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

Dearnley was getting into positions where I hoped Rowe would be.

Dearnley could be more of a signing than people think.

Thought he looked good when Scholes brought him in with the West Ham lad.

More natural ability than the majority of this squad

A level-headed view from me (I hope).

His scoring record in non-league is superb and he should be considerably better than what we have. Sadly, I`ll probably never get to see him.

Niggling doubts are his age, stated lack of pace and our manager's early reported comments of "improving" his game in order that he learns to "press the opposition". That would be disastrous.

A signing like this should be allowed to hit the ground running and simply play their usual game whilst also concentrating on coming up to league level fitness standards. In view of his goal scoring prowess, the only instructions he should be given is "carry on as you were, lad, carry on as you were."

I wish him every success in what is a very difficult environment at BP - honestly no idea why he chose us.

(P.S. Those with long memories will sincerely hope he doesn't turn out like the utterly prolific goalscorer we once signed called Paul Moulden!)

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

He’s got pedigree.... whether that means he make a good pro footballer, only time will tell.... but I remember Kieran Lee looking a bit sh1t when he first signed.

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

I like Dearnley. 

He was pretty good when on loan last season I thought. 

Play him wide right with Smith on the left and Rowe and maybe Wilson up top. 

We might even look a bit dangerous going forward and win a few games!! 

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

A level-headed view from me (I hope).

His scoring record in non-league is superb and he should be considerably better than what we have. Sadly, I`ll probably never get to see him.

Niggling doubts are his age, stated lack of pace and our manager's early reported comments of "improving" his game in order that he learns to "press the opposition". That would be disastrous.

A signing like this should be allowed to hit the ground running and simply play their usual game whilst also concentrating on coming up to league level fitness standards. In view of his goal scoring prowess, the only instructions he should be given is "carry on as you were, lad, carry on as you were."

I wish him every success in what is a very difficult environment at BP - honestly no idea why he chose us.

(P.S. Those with long memories will sincerely hope he doesn't turn out like the utterly prolific goalscorer we once signed called Paul Moulden! Warren Feeney/Kiegan Parker)

FIFY

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I like Dearnley. 

He was pretty good when on loan last season I thought. 

Play him wide right with Smith on the left and Rowe and maybe Wilson up top. 

We might even look a bit dangerous going forward and win a few games!! 

Get on the blower to Dino

Don't let this flame of hope pass 😉

5 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Have I missed owt?? 

"Atleast we are not Bury"

"Whoelse will buy the club"

6 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Have I missed owt?? 

I don't think you missed anything. :D
I'm probably not classed as in the "mediocrity" camp...I think I am more in the "lost all hope" camp. 

I am struggling to think of the team as 'my team'...it's so transient, the players, the manager, the owner...I feel disassociated as a fan and the sense of BP being a second home has gone by the wayside. Is this just the way football is nowadays? 

16 hours ago, Wardie said:

I don't think you missed anything. :D
I'm probably not classed as in the "mediocrity" camp...I think I am more in the "lost all hope" camp. 

I am struggling to think of the team as 'my team'...it's so transient, the players, the manager, the owner...I feel disassociated as a fan and the sense of BP being a second home has gone by the wayside. Is this just the way football is nowadays? 

No and it doesn't have to be its just that our club is a total clusterfuck

But things can get better and at some point they will, it will require a change of owner though.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

No and it doesn't have to be its just that our club is a total clusterfuck

But things can get better and at some point they will, it will require a change of owner though.

Partially disagree.

The number of players released at seasons end is huge these days and we were not the highest in Lge 2 last year. It is something we have to get used to nowadays, players sign on shorter term deals.

Managers we are obviously way up there.

Owner change-well wishful thinking for some-not unusual again these days for a club to have a disliked chairman/owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived