Danny Rowe

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d say that is harsh, he played a great ball to Nep for our goal on the weekend. Assist for Maouche against Bradford. Was involved in 2 goals against Macc, scores against Salford. Only game he hasn’t contributed to a goal was his debut against Carlisle. Pretty good so far in my opinion. 

Just now, RobinsDuckEgg said:

What he needs is that Maouche, Nepo or even Smith passes him the  ball occasionally when he's in a shooting position. Or failing that get McCann in the team, I'm sure he'd see those openings.

Nepo and Smith are head down players and play wide, while Moauche plays his own game. Hence options for Rowe arent very good. He needs  McCann probing from central  midfield to receive the right service and Dearnley to create the space.

Hopefully we will see both start soon.

Rowe is an intelligent player, if a little slow. But hes strong and rarely if ever gets knocked off the ball giving time for other players to get forward. Good passer of the ball too and when in the right position he will score. He creates time with his hold up play allowing other people to position themselves better during attacking moves, something I haven't seen for ages.

3 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I agree but when we are up against it like on Saturday he is not mobile enough to get to a hurried clearance/‘hoof’ first, he’s only a good outlet if the ball is rolled low to his feet.

To my mind we'd see the best of Rowe if Wilson played alongside him while Dearnley's out.

He could run off Rowe who can also play a decent pass through. Maouche normally takes too much time playing the ball forward and the attack loses it's momentum.

What he definitely needs is another player alongside him, and someone with a bit of pace could compensate for his lack of it. 

8 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

To my mind we'd see the best of Rowe if Wilson played alongside him while Dearnley's out.

He could run off Rowe who can also play a decent pass through. Maouche normally takes too much time playing the ball forward and the attack loses it's momentum.

What he definitely needs is another player alongside him, and someone with a bit of pace could compensate for his lack of it. 

Picking players to compensate for other players deficiencies is a slippery slope

35 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Picking players to compensate for other players deficiencies is a slippery slope

Perhaps I could have used the word compliment instead but I think there's not many complete footballers at this level.

Most have deficiencies hence they're playing here instead of in the premiership ! 

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Perhaps I could have used the word compliment instead but I think there's not many complete footballers at this level.

Most have deficiencies hence they're playing here instead of in the premiership ! 

I understand the point entirely but even in amateur  cricket ,for example, if you pick an extra batsman instead of a bowler because  the top 6 are unreliable you are likely to compound the team’s problems rather than mitigate them.?

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I understand the point entirely but even in amateur  cricket ,for example, if you pick an extra batsman instead of a bowler because  the top 6 are unreliable you are likely to compound the team’s problems rather than mitigate them.?

Surely team selection at either sport is based on finding the right blend.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Surely team selection at either sport is based on finding the right blend.

Yes I agree entirely  but the premise of any selection has to be that the player can do the job expected in the position and at the level  for which he is selected. If he/she can’t you either change the player or you compromise your team selection and institutionalise a deficiency?

24 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Yes I agree entirely  but the premise of any selection has to be that the player can do the job expected in the position and at the level  for which he is selected. If he/she can’t you either change the player or you compromise your team selection and institutionalise a deficiency?

No team is ever perfect ? 

5 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

What he needs is that Maouche, Nepo or even Smith passes him the  ball occasionally when he's in a shooting position. Or failing that get McCann in the team, I'm sure he'd see those openings.

Maouche, Nepo, Smith (and Rowe) could do with getting some ball that isn't on the edge of their own box, or 2m over their heads. 

Rowe is clearly a clever, intelligent talented lad. He isn't necessarily the striker we need in that he isn't really a 6 yard box striker we needed or a target man. He likes to drop deep, link the play and get shots off. He has to have someone to stretch the oppositions back 4 to free him up. I need to get over the fact he isn't going to work that hard.

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Interesting point this and one that's probably a big difference between a manager trying to build a succesful team & a manager trying to cobble together a team that might hopefully stay up.....

......the former tries to sign/develop players to complement each other,

the latter signs (often on loan) players to compensate for the shite that's already in the side and who his bosses say he has to keep picking.....

Been following the Rowe comments with interest since all the glee upon signing him.

I think virtually everyone was in agreement that it was great to sign "a proven goalscorer" (with a few cautious reservations regarding "at non-league level").

That's all there is to it really; if he scores  plenty of goals, he'll be regarded as a success. If he doesn't; he won't (no matter that he might be able to win Mastermind on the football field with his intelligent play, spray a great pass or be ever so strong on the ball.)

He was bought to score goals.

43 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Been following the Rowe comments with interest since all the glee upon signing him.

I think virtually everyone was in agreement that it was great to sign "a proven goalscorer" (with a few cautious reservations regarding "at non-league level").

That's all there is to it really; if he scores  plenty of goals, he'll be regarded as a success. If he doesn't; he won't (no matter that he might be able to win Mastermind on the football field with his intelligent play, spray a great pass or be ever so strong on the ball.)

The team are scoring more goals with him in it. He's successful to date in my eyes. 

12 hours ago, wiseowl said:

12 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

The team are scoring more goals with him in it. He's successful to date in my eyes. 

27 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Him assisting goals and helping the team be more attacking doesn't count apparently 

Well it does count, really.

But it’s also important that he scores goals. Since he signed we have played five games.

Three at home with the team scoring 7 and conceding 2. And 7 points from 9.

Two Away with the team scoring 2 and conceding 3. And 1 point from 6.

Rowe has scored once and provided two assists.

Does he look a decent player? Absolutely yes.

Has he improved our attacking play? Certainly.

Has he scored the goals we hoped he would? No. 

That doesn’t make him a failure but it does mean that he is not yet firing. All his other attributes are a bonus but he was bought to score goals. And that is ultimately what he will be judged on.

Archived