Exeter (A)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

I'm not sure about fixing, but he's as bad a keeper as I've seen since Dean Brill.

There's Dean Not-So Brill and there's pulling your arm back when the ball gets closer to it after fully extending it then acting only once it's passed you.

Just speculating but it's not often I watch a replay and think "that was weird".

39 minutes ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Am I the only one who still doesn't believe Dino is picking the team or at least doesn't have the final say, i.e. playing B-E?

N'Guessan and Mani getting on again, against all logic. 

I wonder if their loan deals mean we have to pay if they don't play?

25 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

I'm not sure about fixing, but he's as bad a keeper as I've seen since Dean Brill.

1 minute ago, No Pyro No Party said:

There's Dean Not-So Brill and there's pulling your arm back when the ball gets closer to it after fully extending it then acting only once it's passed you.

Just speculating but it's not often I watch a replay and think "that was weird".

The difference is that de la Paz has looked ok for a lot of his time in the team.

Brill & Ruddy never looked alright ever. 

What Zeus has done badly though has been even worse than Ruddy at his worst. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

N'Guessan and Mani getting on again, against all logic. 

I wonder if their loan deals mean we have to pay if they don't play?

I'm guessan that there may be an element of truth in that

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

It seems like he has different home and away formations or he's trying to stifle the opposing teams that are higher up the table. We'll possibly be back to 442 on Saturday.

I admire your optimism!! Ha!

55 minutes ago, yarddogs said:

Come on he was at fault in the build up to the penalty at Macc

Every keeper makes mistakes.  

It's how often and how badly. 

Woods hasn't made anywhere near as many as Zeus thus season, particularly since Christmas. 

The issue with Zeus is that he seems to lose his head once he's made a first mistake.  

18 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

It's not often I get accused of that these days :lol: 

What Dino said about some players lacking character is correct though, many bottle it in  

away games and you don't need those sort of players at the club. Unfortunately he's been lumbered with them so not a lot of choice unless some from the youth team are drafted in, which in itself is a risk.

Agree about team selection, but is he in control of that, allegedly other managers weren't, so if that was the case why would he be?

2 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

It seems like he has different home and away formations or he's trying to stifle the opposing teams that are higher up the table. We'll possibly be back to 442 on Saturday.

Agree he seems to pick a more defensive away team and I just don't get it.

We've not enough decent players to chop and change the set up and the league position/opposition means we could go on the front foot a lot more even away from Boundary Park.

It also over complicates it for the players constantly changing the format. They've looked half decent the last 2 home games ( admittedly against poor opposition) so why make unenforced changes.

Play your best team as frequently as possible and "go for it".

24 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What Dino said about some players lacking character is correct though, many bottle it in  

away games and you don't need those sort of players at the club. Unfortunately he's been lumbered with them so not a lot of choice unless some from the youth team are drafted in, which in itself is a risk.

Agree about team selection, but is he in control of that, allegedly other managers weren't, so if that was the case why would he be?

The problem is just 2 games ago after the back to back wins, Dino was telling us that was because he was finally starting to be able to put his proper team out full of characters and leaders etc.  Now all of a sudden they're bottlers again who aren't up to it.

Re Wheater: the stats say he's supposed to do that with only about 20 minutes gone, nevermind just before HT. 

Those stats are based on the average miss rate for penalties though, which don't take into account a GK having a mare. 

Wheater wasn't the issue. Zeus and Dino's negative tactics, compounded by being even more negative after Wheater's sending off, were the issue. 

27 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The problem is just 2 games ago after the back to back wins, Dino was telling us that was because he was finally starting to be able to put his proper team out full of characters and leaders etc.  Now all of a sudden they're bottlers again who aren't up to it.

As I mentioned those were home games, its away matches where we have been dominated mainly.  Some players need to step up and show more initiative.

Just now, Stainrod said:

I can’t understand anybody who feels we were dominated at Exeter in the first half regardless of the tactics, they were working, we were without doubt on top until the penalty.

They didn't work, we went 1 down while so called dominating. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

away games and you don't need those sort of players at the club.

It's part of his job to instil a bit of character in those who need that though.

I appreciate some are lost causes, but not all of them surely?

Those who he can't instil any character in he shouldn't be picking, or letting his bosses pick, if he's not able to somehow compensate for what they're lacking in...

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

It's part of his job to instil a bit of character in those who need that though.

Those who he can't instil any character in he shouldn't be picking, or letting his bosses pick, if he's not able to somehow compensate for what they're lacking in...

I can see a pre season army boot camp with Dino leading the charge, they won't be able to keep up with him though.😁

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Not just a question of bottling it though. It was clear at least to me that the defeat 6-0 away at Carlisle last year that was the final nail in Bunn’s coffin wasn’t just because Maouche, Missilou, Nepo and Branger bottled it, but also because they were playing to a different agenda. Difficult to motivate players like that, when they know the manager is on his way out as in Bunn's case, or may not have complete control like Dino.

Of course didn’t help that day that Taylor was at left back.

Archived