Exeter (A)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Arguably our best 3 plays are McCann Wheater and Rowe......the problem then is that they are probably our 3 slowest over the ground too. That causes massive headaches

How can you have Rowe ahead of Smith who has scored 10 Goals and 6 assists for us ? Doesnt make any sense ??  I look forward to the logic...

5 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

And to think a daft few were getting carried away and mentioning the play offs only a week ago, this season is stuttering to a 17th place finish and even a relegation battle if we get put into administration at any point..

The only positive wrapped in a shitty negative from tonight is that, even with a 12 point administration deduction, this squad has enough good players in it to stay up.  That is the worst positive I've ever thought of as an Oldham fan.

6 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The only positive wrapped in a shitty negative from tonight is that, even with a 12 point administration deduction, this squad has enough good players in it to stay up.  That is the worst positive I've ever thought of as an Oldham fan.

now where have we heard that before oh yeah just 10 games before our last relegation 

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Stop being negative astottie - we were play-off candidates after the 2 recent home wins, with some people getting quite giddy.

A fair % of fans remain in denial (or are not willing to swallow their pride and admit they may be wrong) - our demise has absolutely nothing to do with this manager, or the previous one... or the one prior to that etc.

Unless everyone pulls together and focuses on the fundamental issue we shall continue with this insane, "we're looking good", "we're feckin shit" roller coaster until we disappear into the footballing ether.

‘Our demise has absolutely nothing to do with this manager’ - as a club I would agree. As a team? 

As for ‘the fundamental issue’ - I think that is widely known and accepted by a majority of the fan base. 

The best thing for this club club would be Abdallah making the right decision, finding a buyer and selling what he owns. We are a fragmented and dysfunctional club. However, AL has demonstrated in his time at the club that his decision making is flawed.His continuing loyalty to certain individuals will be his downfall.  I have no doubt that he believes he is doing the best for the club but we simply lurch from one crisis to another. We are trapped in a downward spiral and the threat of administration is ever present. 

‘Everyone pulling together’ means boycotting, protesting and not purchasing a season ticket for next season. That will hasten our demise and probably result in administration and a points deduction along with the asset stripping that inevitably accompanies  this outcome.

My fear is that if we fall too far, we may never recover. Maybe that is the future that awaits.

5 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Jokes aside but I Would take Johnny over anything we have had (Permanently) since he left. Was superb till his mum passed away. May have taken him time to get over this. 

Agree with you.  Don’t think he was THAT bad after his Mum died either. Something changed with pretty much the whole team that season. 

Zeus is an amateur footballer, before coming to OAFC he played at a much lower level and he is never a first choice keeper. 

I know Woods has made mistakes, but his pedigree and experience is far superior. 

9 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Most pro clubs won’t even consider a keeper at that size .....there are exceptions but I can’t actually name any sub 6 foot pro keepers....possibly Flinders but beyond that?

Andy Goram and Gary Kelly weren't bad!

Then you have Campos, Barthez, Casillas...

Even now, the Swiss international keeper (Yann Sommer) isn't quite 6', and he's one of the best in the Bundesliga. 

Rather them than a tall lad with butter covered sponges for hands. 

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

now where have we heard that before oh yeah just 10 games before our last relegation 

I understand that, but as bad as we are the bottom of this league is a different kind of shit.  We aren't going to be pushing the playoffs with this squad but we aren't going down either.

We've got to be thankful to Bury or we would be in real danger for that second relegation spot.
What's weird is that after two much better performances using 442, we revert to the failed set up. 
Worrying capitulation after going a man down though, no one would have blamed Dino if we'd gone 9-1-0 this time.
I do wonder if they all know most know they are off at the end of the season, either their or our choice or end of loan. 

24 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I understand that, but as bad as we are the bottom of this league is a different kind of shit.  We aren't going to be pushing the playoffs with this squad but we aren't going down either.

I remember that sort of talk when we were in League One. 

Our squad was good enough to stay up then, as well. 

CBJ on the ball was decent today BUT after giving the ball away for their first his attempt to cover was shocking for a young pro, no determination to make amends and the easy through ball to his man led to the goal. 
Zeus dreadful for all the others and must be replaced.

But for really poor errors it really wasn’t that bad, is Wheater to blame? probably, he is experienced enough to avoid that, but up until then we looked a competent side. After that? well just look at the goals, a better goalkeeping performance would have kept us in it.

I thought the intent from the off was spot on, we looked to be positive which is great.  What caused us problems was the baffling team selection.  3 centre mids, 1 striker and the recall of Branger who's never shown the sort of consistency or character Dino keeps banging on about.  Was Missilou playing further forward as a result?  Sylla kept finding himself out wide.  We just didn't have enough threat, so where it might have looked better (and I'm sure the passing/territory stats looked good) I didn't feel like we were as much as a threat as those 2 recent home games which now feel like years ago.

In those games what worked really well was Dearnley running past Rowe who was dropping deep, with Smith and Nepo offering threat out wide giving the opposition lots to worry about.  Last night Rowe was isolated and it really hurt us.  Smith got into decent positions but no numbers in the box.  And I lost track of the number of times McCann had to keep turning on the ball while scanning for someone to pass to.  Exeter showed that they could have been hurt had we had the players on the pitch to do it.  Yet again 2 strikers on the bench but he doesn't give Rowe any support.  Dino supposedly has 'final say' on transfers, but won't play Dieseruvwe in a front 2.  Why sign him then?  (Presumably because he didn't)

There are so many questions about the manager, he's had a stay of execution with those 2 home games, but what on earth has happened since then?  The subs almost always totally lack imagination.  At 3-1 down he swaps like for like in central midfield. Why?  I can understand wanting to be compact at 2-1, but at that point we needed to try and get on the front foot. Or at least try something different.

The goals we concede are so poor as a team, and not just the fault of the keeper...

1st goal - ball given away poorly, cut open but Zeus comes charging out unnecessarily and makes it easy for the striker
2nd goal - ref could have been kind here and given the goal.  It looked over the line.  Wheater absolute brain fart though, what was he thinking? Again Zeus could have done better, but it was a shit pitch and are keepers taught to push it away from goal these days?
3rd goal - keeper is low on confidence so help him out and close down the shooter, he was just given all the time in the world. But terrible keeping.
4th goal - N'Guessan looked totally lost, allows the cross. There were 2 unmarked players waiting for the pass inside from Ajose.  Zeus?!  Feet in treacle.
5th goal - no one looked like they knew what they were supposed to do from an inswinging ball like that and no one took control.  

41 minutes ago, singe said:

What's weird is that after two much better performances using 442, we revert to the failed set up. 

It seems like he has different home and away formations or he's trying to stifle the opposing teams that are higher up the table. We'll possibly be back to 442 on Saturday.

Am I the only one suspicious of De La Paz's scuff last night as well as the one versus Crewe? Am I the only one who still doesn't believe Dino is picking the team or at least doesn't have the final say, i.e. playing B-E?

Watching it back, there's absolutely no reason why he'd flick his arms up (Crewe) or pull his arms back away from the ball (Exeter) for the 4th goal. Strikes me as uncharacteristic and suspicious. I know we're a mess but a bit of fixing wouldn't surprise me at this stage. 

Archived