AFC Wimbledon

Wimbledon are in a spot of bother,

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2019/november/club-statement

New bonds released last week that offer investors and fans the chance to earn interest of up to 4% annually.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/02/afc-wimbledon-football-club-mini-bond-offers-up-to-4-returns-should-you-invest/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=3950903-M_MW_EM_170220

'“Communications from our elected board have been poor. Last year, most of the Directors with most experience were voted out because they continued to support the manager who was crap. Because of our constitution and suspicion over any new investors it will be very difficult to turn this around in time.

Through the grapevine the actual suggestion is that the new investors would settle for 24% with the Dons Trust still owning 51%. The rest being individual shareholders/members. If that was the case I could live with it but the board has not done us any favours in delaying telling us about it'

There's a certain familiarity with all that, it feels very similar to my experience with supporter ownership; a club and its supporters wanting to run before it can walk. There's a price to pay, and when you're ripping through the leagues you're not arsed - nobody's looking at the balance sheet...

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Wimbledon are in a spot of bother,

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2019/november/club-statement

New bonds released last week that offer investors and fans the chance to earn interest of up to 4% annually.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/02/afc-wimbledon-football-club-mini-bond-offers-up-to-4-returns-should-you-invest/?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=3950903-M_MW_EM_170220

'“Communications from our elected board have been poor. Last year, most of the Directors with most experience were voted out because they continued to support the manager who was crap. Because of our constitution and suspicion over any new investors it will be very difficult to turn this around in time.

Through the grapevine the actual suggestion is that the new investors would settle for 24% with the Dons Trust still owning 51%. The rest being individual shareholders/members. If that was the case I could live with it but the board has not done us any favours in delaying telling us about it'

There's a certain familiarity with all that, it feels very similar to my experience with supporter ownership; a club and its supporters wanting to run before it can walk. There's a price to pay, and when you're ripping through the leagues you're not arsed - nobody's looking at the balance sheet...

I read and update from that Nov '19 they needed £5m from fans, the rest from commercial borrowing, in a tight deadline, and have just raised it and pushing on for £7.5m from fans.

I'm not sure our current set up would get so much support.

2 minutes ago, singe said:

I read and update from that Nov '19 they needed £5m from fans, the rest from commercial borrowing, in a tight deadline, and have just raised it and pushing on for £7.5m from fans.

I'm not sure our current set up would get so much support.

Spot on - even if 2,000 Latics fans were interested; they'd be stumping up £3,750 apiece!!!

Not a chance.

7 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Founder and former owner of ASOS, Chelsea fan who lives in Wimbledon, is putting some money in.

Just as important to understand what the ASOS owner wants back out of it. As with Portsmouth, I can see a vote to move out of fan ownership - which is fine if everything points to that.

I think with the case of Wimbledon is they could fly through the leagues based on them competing against clubs getting 200 people in when they get 3000 so they could afford the most talented side in those divisions and still turn in a profit. They were always going to have this issue where they plateaued as they competed against bigger clubs where they would then fall into the classic small club mode of having to overspend to compete.

22 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Wimbledon were hideously treated but they do seem to think that the world owes them a living these days. 

“Aw, quit talking about Wimbledon man. It was such a long time ago, man”

“Cool. Then don’t mention Jesus to me. If it’s shelf life we’re talking...”

Bill Hicks. Relentless tour.

18 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The public crowd funding appeals play very heavily on the past

Of course, isn't that what football is about - historical landmarks and milestones? They're trying to build a future on that.

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Of course, isn't that what football is about - historical landmarks and milestones? They're trying to build a future on that.

Yes but there seems to me to be a hope//expectation that on Wimbledon fans will chip in because of what happened to them. 

Not for a second would I suggest that was anything other than an abomination but I think it's pretty close to impossible that they'd be better off now if it hadn't been allowed. 

No matter, I wish them no ill. 

Archived