The Trust

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Thoughts anyone 🤔

my phones going mental.....I cannot think why.....Debenture paid is good news....AGM is good news and I hope Trust consider voting by proxy for its membership on these appointments and to say if you are happy /confident of its overall performance

3 minutes ago, underdog said:

my phones going mental.....I cannot think why.....Debenture paid is good news....AGM is good news and I hope Trust consider voting by proxy for its membership on these appointments and to say if you are happy /confident

dont know the newly appointed directors but it may be that looking at twitter 

2 minutes ago, tGWB said:

dont know the newly appointed directors but it may be that looking at twitter 

I have not got a grip of twitter so its not that...

However links to that are coming through

Okay, as someone less familiar with what’s going on, but concerned nonetheless, could someone please outline the reasons for concern? I understand the general accrued discontent, but what specifically has happened in recent weeks that is causing the shit to hit the fan now?

I read about unsavoury folks being appointed, but I don’t know if that’s true or hearsay (the minutes didn’t mention the specific names I’d read about). I read about cosying up and questions about the Trust’s shareholding, but I don’t know if that’s true. 

Basically, I’d really appreciate someone to set out what’s happened with the Trust recently that has caused such unhappiness. I’d like my opinion to be informed because on the one hand it’s about the survival of my club, and on the other it’s about the reputation of volunteers supporting the same club.

(Yes, I’ve looked at relevant threads, and Twitter. But separating fact from opinion from rumour is really not that easy.)

2 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Okay, as someone less familiar with what’s going on, but concerned nonetheless, could someone please outline the reasons for concern? I understand the general accrued discontent, but what specifically has happened in recent weeks that is causing the shit to hit the fan now?

I should add, Keegan’s tweet made me nervous. I know he has his detractors but I always thought he was pretty sound on goings-on.

36 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I read about unsavoury folks being appointed, but I don’t know if that’s true or hearsay (the minutes didn’t mention the specific names I’d read about). I read about cosying up and questions about the Trust’s shareholding, but I don’t know if that’s true. 

Basically, I’d really appreciate someone to set out what’s happened with the Trust recently that has caused such unhappiness. I’d like my opinion to be informed because on the one hand it’s about the survival of my club, and on the other it’s about the reputation of volunteers supporting the same club.

(Yes, I’ve looked at relevant threads, and Twitter. But separating fact from opinion from rumour is really not that easy.)

I was a Trust Director up to February this year. Served just short of 5 years under three reps.

IMO the Trust is in crisis on a number of fronts. Too many to go into...its been stretched and stretched until its snapped.

Lack of staff, lack of resources, trying to ball juggle on serveral fronts - club, landlords, FLG.....something had to give. It has lost 50% of its staff in  the last 6 months that is a whole lot of stuff and knowledge gone and it still needs to tick over  a business itself....it was un-sustainable and fast becoming ineffectual... when I left I was doing three roles, jack of all trades master of none. It had to recruit, however I am unsure if I have missed any call for staff other than at the bottom teh new website last Friday.

The meeting notes for the year  last August onwards record the struggles (Sept is missing as we meet the FSA.) Missing meeting notes Dec, Jan and Feb specifically highlight internal matters. These need publishing

I fear for it...not necessarily in its current form.....but the shareholding that might be lost. That foot in the proverbial door that most other supporters want.

Shareholding entitlement - To appoint our own rep/remove rep, equal parity voting at board level. The right to be consulted if the business (club) is discontinued and vote on

ACV - that is registered at OMBC 

EFL - as shareholder that escalation route with have via the FSA. 

FSA membership

Members an fans should be asking those difficult questions. I am sure the PTB will have an opinion and I look forward to the update

IS there an appetite to save it in some format or version, enough to get some new blood in?.....I don;t think there is and I am sad. If it does cease then I would surely hope the would tap into legal advice from the FSA over it all

Even with the new co-optees, I am failing to see that they have more that minimum directors to sustain it beyond the AGM, especially as the chair is unwell and has had to take a sabbatical - I am sorry to hear this

Good news on the debenture though - every cloud

I know nothing about the bloke but I'm appalled that a Trust appoints new Directors without some sort of pitch to members about who they are and what they bring.  Awful governance.  How the hell are we supposed to buy into an organisation that provides its members with so little information?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I know nothing about the bloke but I'm appalled that a Trust appoints new Directors without some sort of pitch to members about who they are and what they bring.  Awful governance.  How the hell are we supposed to buy into an organisation that provides its members with so little information?

Agreed, I think May meeting notes state they were low on numbers and were going to approach ex staff to help out. I would hope to have seen the rally call then, or like TGWB mentioned, earlier. 

I have only seen what roles they required on the new website on Friday when it was launched, I don;t recall seeing any rally call on the FB site and I don;;t really do twitter and as a member a direct email too.

IMO, the quickness of staff leaving has caught them by surprise and not replaced them fast enough, or maybe hoped some would return...it has not happened and they are critically low to min numbers needed. 4 are critical roles, 2 are now vacant, one is on a sabbatical. 

It has not had stability at the helm for a 12 month period in those key roles bar one, I had to step up to acting chair on a number of occasions and i had never done it before - but needs must.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing once you are removed from the sea you are drowning in.

It is now in crises......questions should rightly be asked of how it has got the that stage by the members and the wider fan bases.

I am quite resigned to the fact that it may cease.....wether now is the time for it to truely fulfill its potential and rise off its knees - who knows.

We do not know what skills these new people have, or if anyone else steps up. Lets face it will be a baptism of fire.

Is it worth suggesting that the painful decline of the Trust is symptomatic of the general apathy that has run through our support base for over a decade after being played over and over again by Marco, and before him Corney? People just aren't bothered any more after years of "move on, nothing to see here" rhetoric from the club. Many have just moved on with their lives. There is no stomach for scrutiny among the current fanbase, which is what the Trust have been put in place to do. I have zero confidence that they can represent the fanbase fairly now. The few 'yes men' (amongst the genuinely decent people) that there were have been fully converted into a nodding dog kennel-on-wheels with the addition of Halliwell, who is widely known for his obtuse and aggressive crushing of dissenting voices online.

I'm sure PTB will continue to probe, and ask questions which forever need asking given the smoke and mirror operation the club run. But given the club aren't in any way at all answerable to them they'll be swatted away like a minor annoyance. It's sad as their approach is always professional, concise and clear.

Major step in the death of the club in my eyes, this.

9 hours ago, underdog said:

Agreed, I think May meeting notes state they were low on numbers and were going to approach ex staff to help out. I would hope to have seen the rally call then, or like TGWB mentioned, earlier. 

I have only seen what roles they required on the new website on Friday when it was launched, I don;t recall seeing any rally call on the FB site and I don;;t really do twitter and as a member a direct email too.

IMO, the quickness of staff leaving has caught them by surprise and not replaced them fast enough, or maybe hoped some would return...it has not happened and they are critically low to min numbers needed. 4 are critical roles, 2 are now vacant, one is on a sabbatical. 

It has not had stability at the helm for a 12 month period in those key roles bar one, I had to step up to acting chair on a number of occasions and i had never done it before - but needs must.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing once you are removed from the sea you are drowning in.

It is now in crises......questions should rightly be asked of how it has got the that stage by the members and the wider fan bases.

I am quite resigned to the fact that it may cease.....wether now is the time for it to truely fulfill its potential and rise off its knees - who knows.

We do not know what skills these new people have, or if anyone else steps up. Lets face it will be a baptism of fire.

You hit the nail on the head with skills. When I was involved with our local residents association all board members had to have qualified training in their roles.

I wonder if the EFL have such authorised training schemes and certification requirements are met before undertaking key posts such as Chair, Secretary and Treasurer? 

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Is it worth suggesting that the painful decline of the Trust is symptomatic of the general apathy that has run through our support base for over a decade after being played over and over again by Marco, and before him Corney? People just aren't bothered any more after years of "move on, nothing to see here" rhetoric from the club. Many have just moved on with their lives. There is no stomach for scrutiny among the current fanbase, which is what the Trust have been put in place to do. I have zero confidence that they can represent the fanbase fairly now. The few 'yes men' (amongst the genuinely decent people) that there were have been fully converted into a nodding dog kennel-on-wheels with the addition of Halliwell, who is widely known for his obtuse and aggressive crushing of dissenting voices online.

I'm sure PTB will continue to probe, and ask questions which forever need asking given the smoke and mirror operation the club run. But given the club aren't in any way at all answerable to them they'll be swatted away like a minor annoyance. It's sad as their approach is always professional, concise and clear.

Major step in the death of the club in my eyes, this.

The Trust never really came to terms with the fact that its ability to represent the best interests of our club was aligned to its membership numbers to give it genuine leverage with whoever owned the club.

Its membership numbers c200-250 (happy to be proved wrong) cannot be held up to scrutiny as being 'representative of our supporter base',

Unless the two new Board appointments with the current Trust Oldham Board members can stimulate our fan base to become Trust members, its decline will continue

Time will tell  . . . . . . . . . . . .

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You hit the nail on the head with skills. When I was involved with our local residents association all board members had to have qualified training in their roles.

I wonder if the EFL have such authorised training schemes and certification requirements are met before undertaking key posts such as Chair, Secretary and Treasurer? 

cheers.....Elaine who is chair but now on a sabbatical has excellent skills. She introduced a skills scan last July and made a start on the right skills set in the right roles. I think only two of us got around to complete them since.

There was never time to look at "up-skilling" staff and Elaine has sadly, not been present to chair every meeting. No CPD. 

I only managed to get through the stuff the Trust needed per meeting because I was un-employed and had time. Bearing in mind we had additional meeting with FSA and EFL to sort during the season. Both something new and raising our profile to the outside world.

I am coming around to the conversation I had with Andy B. That roles need job descriptions, advertised properly like Dave Og has commented on, an interview (currently proposed staff submit a written statement to the Trust board of why they want to help, skills etc..) an appointment usually at AGM after a members vote.

Again, looking at those notes from this weeks meeting, Philippa has taken up the challenge of Chair and has already tasked herself to look at those roles/skills gaps, I hope before the AGM and a rallying call can be made.

I feel for those that are still in situ....there are some quite horrendous comments pouring out in the last 24 hours on social media. It is quite scary sometimes how passionate some of our fans are.

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

And none of them have got the bollocks to step up and get involved themselves...

Daft comment that fella 🤷‍♂️

Its a Ltd Company and has never advertised for recruits 

Its had a financial scandal 

Its previous Chairman joined the club board and is one of the most controversial figures at the club 

Volunteers get absolute pelters 

Its a wonder anyone steps up really 

1 hour ago, underdog said:

cheers.....Elaine who is chair but now on a sabbatical has excellent skills. She introduced a skills scan last July and made a start on the right skills set in the right roles. I think only two of us got around to complete them since.

There was never time to look at "up-skilling" staff and Elaine has sadly, not been present to chair every meeting. No CPD. 

Is it possible that such David Brent-esque bollocks could be a big contributory factor as to why nothing ever gets achieved? 

21 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Daft comment that fella 🤷‍♂️

Its a Ltd Company and has never advertised for recruits 

Its had a financial scandal 

Its previous Chairman joined the club board and is one of the most controversial figures at the club 

Volunteers get absolute pelters 

Its a wonder anyone steps up really 

Point is it's easy to stand outside throwing stones, but the bloke in the greenhouse is the one trying to grow things !!

I wouldn't have anything to do with the Trust but anyone that does deserves credit, until they cock up. 

Just cancelled my membership with the Trust and looking at Twitter I can see plenty others have to.

The fact they have welcomed someone like Mike Halliwell is a huge fuck you to all the fans who want a change, or drastic improvement, in current ownership.

This same person has Abdallah’s ear, regularly sits in the directors box, and has been described by our current MD as ‘just as important to the Club as Barry Owen is’, which while laughable in itself, is a pisstake of an appointment and has never screamed conflict of interest more.

Al now has two puppets on the Trust board.

Make of that what you will.

The membership has voting rights at an AGM, this include voting by proxy. this includes re-elections of directors, co-optees who are stepping up to directors and fresh co-optees.

I believe members can also ask for an item to go on the agenda as a proposal and voting on. Advanced notice has to be given to the Trust secretary before the AGM is announced as the item has to be on the agenda. I believe this request goes to the secretary. But I am happy to be corrected

I would strongly urge members not cancel yet to look at their membership, how they pay and seek advice/research on how they would be "giving up"  if they cancel like their right to vote on staff ect

The other concern is how many cancelling, would then make the Trust not having a membership to represent? Min numbers? and may then have to look at liquidation of the Trust and legal questions over what happens to the share holding.

Its a bloody mess

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Point is it's easy to stand outside throwing stones, but the bloke in the greenhouse is the one trying to grow things !!

I wouldn't have anything to do with the Trust but anyone that does deserves credit, until they cock up. 

underdog for one 👍

8 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Just cancelled my membership with the Trust and looking at Twitter I can see plenty others have to.

The fact they have welcomed someone like Mike Halliwell is a huge fuck you to all the fans who want a change, or drastic improvement, in current ownership.

This same person has Abdallah’s ear, regularly sits in the directors box, and has been described by our current MD as ‘just as important to the Club as Barry Owen is’, which while laughable in itself, is a pisstake of an appointment and has never screamed conflict of interest more.

Al now has two puppets on the Trust board.

Make of that what you will.

Can I plant a seed? depending on how you pay (monthly/annually) you may still be applicable to vote at the prposed AGM

The new co-optees have to go through a membership vote at the AGM

I am sorry to hear you and others are angry and feel you have no other option and I thank you and others on here too for the support you have given.

2 minutes ago, underdog said:

Can I plant a seed? depending on how you pay (monthly/annually) you may still be applicable to vote at the prposed AGM

The new co-optees have to go through a membership vote at the AGM

I am sorry to hear you and others are angry and feel you have no other option and I thank you and others on here too for the support you have given.

Whats your best guess at Trust membership numbers underdog ?

I reckon 200-250 at the best and declining

Am no genius but reducing membership means diminishing revenues so unless there is another revenue stream from somewhere, how can it even function ? 

1 minute ago, tGWB said:

underdog for one 👍

thank you....I am have gone through a whole range of emotions since I heard the news....angry..so angry I did not sleep until gone 3am this morning, to apathy and now as I am typing this...tearful.

Stupid really when Covid could effect and had effect so many, even some on here.

I may have to log off for a mo and get a grip,.I am not ignoring anyone and additionally, I need to get a job, well I need to eat and those pesky bills don;t go away. I also need to look at some housework and burnt offering to prep for tea....oh deep joy

Cheers everyone for your support during my Trust time ...even the critical comments were valid and helped me to re-assess and re-evaluate.

IT is what it is

Archived