Season suspended until April 30th

saw a talksport article the other day.

There is a team in europe who are planning to play their matches behind close doors, however, they are showing the match at the ground in the car park on a massive screen for the fans. Like a drive thru outside movie.

Wonder if behind close doors goes ahead, travel and social distancing are laxed a little, if this could be us on the main car park?

Just a thought

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season's finished as far as I'm concerned.   I can see some sort of mini-play off tournament but what's the point in us playing games against other mid-table sides?  That would generate significant expenses with almost zero income.

You could argue that 3 of our 9 remaining games are meaningless - although Walsall and Grimsby could argue they have a slim chance of the playoffs, but we'd need to play the other 6 - Swindon, Plymouth, Col U, Northampton, Port Vale are all in the top 7 mix, and Stevo have a slim chance of escaping the drop.

40 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

You could argue that 3 of our 9 remaining games are meaningless - although Walsall and Grimsby could argue they have a slim chance of the playoffs, but we'd need to play the other 6 - Swindon, Plymouth, Col U, Northampton, Port Vale are all in the top 7 mix, and Stevo have a slim chance of escaping the drop.

Forget it. The cost of playing those games and all the similar ones across the league would be prohibitive. 

5 hours ago, underdog said:

saw a talksport article the other day.

There is a team in europe who are planning to play their matches behind close doors, however, they are showing the match at the ground in the car park on a massive screen for the fans. Like a drive thru outside movie.

Wonder if behind close doors goes ahead, travel and social distancing are laxed a little, if this could be us on the main car park?

Just a thought

I'm pretty certain it's a team in Denmark. I have a feeling I saw it on the BBC Sports website.

4 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Looks like the Peterborough owner is readying himself for another teddy chucking episode. Wonder who he could be on about? Our esteemed owner perhaps? 

Having said that. I like the cut of his jib myself. Calls it how it is on Twitter and he has served his club well. Posh fans have only what we could've dreamed for in the past 15 years. If only we stumbled on an owner like him in the mid 00's rather than the succession of repugnant fucking vampires.

9 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Reports saying a number of players are fuming at the club offering furlough or risk of redundancies. 

Welcome to the real world, lads.

I was expecting something like that but 
having 80% of your  wages being paid when youre a footballer isnt a bad gig is it 

And its not like theyre any good

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Having said that. I like the cut of his jib myself. Calls it how it is on Twitter and he has served his club well. Posh fans have only what we could've dreamed for in the past 15 years. If only we stumbled on an owner like him in the mid 00's rather than the succession of repugnant fucking vampires.

I saw The Repugnant Vampires at the Lesser Free Trade Hall the week before the Sex Pistols played there..... 

44 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I was expecting something like that but 
having 80% of your  wages being paid when youre a footballer isnt a bad gig is it 

And its not like theyre any good

They won't get 80% of their wages though. Say they get £10k per month, they'll get 25% of their wage.

Edit: £2.5k a month should still be enough, even for footballers. Like you say, most aren't that good.

3 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

They won't get 80% of their wages though. Say they get £10k per month, they'll get 25% of their wage.

You are right jorvik, its £2,500/month 

Got a bit giddy tbh, I guess fatigue is setting in with my club absolutely on its arse financially yet our footballers (not staff) who serve up mediocre entertainment week in week out, still demanding to be paid £000’s a week for sitting with their feet up 

I'm all for hammering the owner and club where appropriate but this is the reality of the world at the moment. The club has no income and no indication of when any income may come in at the moment. If it wasn't for the furlough scheme then they'd likely be staring at redundancy and the options they've been given are the same as for many many other employees at the moment.

It's a shit situation where you have bills, mortgages, loan repayments that you've committed to on the basis of your salary and that furlough payments or redundancy wouldn't cover (especially when there are likely to be issues finding reemployment). But that isn't the club's fault.

I can see a total reorganisation of the football pyramid coming , with maybe the much vaunted Premier league two then LG’s 1/2 and top clubs from Vanarama being split into maybe three 20 team regional divisions North South and Central .

15 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

The club has no income and no indication of when any income may come in at the moment.

The club is possibly in a better situation financially when you factor in wages saved vs matchday income lost less VAT. Maybe.

2 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

Support the club 100% on this.  Everybody in the real world including us fans are affected and faced with the exact same financial situation.  

Those fortunate to earn in excess of £2500pm are being asked to survive on £2500pm for the short-term.  They have support from banks etc for mortgage holidays, deferrals etc to assist them on the wage cut.  A case of tightening your belt accordingly but bearing in mind everyone should be isolating at home then you should be saving money anyway aside from paying bills, food etc.

Why should footballers be handled differently?  Especially at League 1 and 2 level when wages are not too dissimilar to fans on average to above average wages.  Welcome to the real world guys.

If a player is on £10,000 a month at our club then surely only their mortgage is the major factor?  They should get payment holidays during the furlough period.  Food, energy, Sky bills etc are same as us fans.  

Totally agree Midsblue - when the shit hits the fan we should all get our share !

Today's footballers have always thought they are "special".

Shouldn't need another job after football nowadays whereas in the 60's and 70's many local professionals worked for the Council grass cutting during the summer break to supplement their income and maintain fitness. And not just apprentices either, fully fledged pro's at much higher levels than we are at !

Archived