Season suspended until April 30th

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, al_bro said:

I can't see any reason to start up again in April as the situation will be worse and they know it. Instead of suspending games now it would have been better to wait until April, and get as many games in as possible. At that point the season could be ended, and promotion and relegation settled with all clubs knowing that would happen. Suspending now is a knee jerk and stupid idea. They should have followed medical and government advice.

What about the players giving it to each other? Advice is to isolate if you get symptoms. Clubs would be in chaos if everyone carried on playing. 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What about the players giving it to each other? Advice is to isolate if you get symptoms. Clubs would be in chaos if everyone carried on playing. 

I take your point.

7 hours ago, Hands on said:

I think it is worth saying this again:

Daft idea!  The UK Government's scientific based advice is that games should not be cancelled.  In fact you are less likely to catch Covid-19 going to a football match than you are going out to meet with friends in a busy pub/wine bar/coffee shop.  It has been decided that Covid-19 can not be contained and for the safety of our society the population has to build up resistance - in other words people have to catch the virus.  If we don't then there is likely to be another epidemic later in the year.

The difficulty is that if we do nothing too many people will catch it at the same time and the NHS will not cope hence the plan to delay - it is not a plan to stop you getting Covid-19 - it is a plan to extend the duration of the epidemic so that the numbers needing intensive care at any one time are reduced and are spread from now into the summer.

If the UK Government's scientific predictions for the course of the virus are correct there is no rational for a suspension to only 4th April.  The EFL will then have to suspend matches once again because by 4th April there will be many more people with the virus and the end result would mean that no games will be played until after the beginning of the next season.  So what then EFL?

The sensible science based thing to do is to keep on playing.

Not sure about any of that to be honest. To begin with, turning off sports to stop people congregating in stadiums is to limit the migration of the virus quicker than we need it to move, not immediately to stop people getting it. People have it, that's a given - there is clear need to stop spreading it around along the motorways and train stations in large amounts of sudden transit.

Do you mind sharing your science source so I can weigh it up, I'm not being snarky - just want to read it.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Not sure about any of that to be honest. To begin with, turning off sports to stop people congregating in stadiums is to limit the migration of the virus quicker than we need it to move, not immediately to stop people getting it. People have it, that's a given - there is clear need to stop spreading it around along the motorways and train stations in large amounts of sudden transit.

Do you mind sharing your science source so I can weigh it up, I'm not being snarky - just want to read it.

Talk to Boris and the chief medical advisors. They didn’t ban public gatherings, ie football matches.  However the football world did, quoting it is for the safety of the players.  Actually fit twenty year olds are definitely not at any significant risk from Covid-19.

This decision was definitely to early and will cost any possibility of finishing the season. 

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Talk to Boris and the chief medical advisors. They didn’t ban public gatherings, ie football matches.  However the football world did, quoting it is for the safety of the players.  Actually fit twenty year olds are definitely not at any significant risk from Covid-19.

This decision was definitely to early and will cost any possibility of finishing the season. 

But they might have kids who have respiratory problems, or elderly relatives who may rely on them that they would pass it on to. 

I think you have to remember the demographic of supporters too. 

It's not the healthy contracting it, it's passing it on the vulnerable, comprised, and elderly. 

There is significant elderly proportion. 

It may have been self sorting anyway, as those who are older elect not to attend anyway. 

20 minutes ago, singe said:

I think you have to remember the demographic of supporters too. 

It's not the healthy contracting it, it's passing it on the vulnerable, comprised, and elderly. 

There is significant elderly proportion. 

It may have been self sorting anyway, as those who are older elect not to attend anyway. 

That sort of altruistic attitude was most certainly not part of the EFL and Premiership decision.  (Boris and his advisors said those issues weren’t important enough to ban sports events, so why would football)

20 minutes ago, Pidge said:

That sort of altruistic attitude was most certainly not part of the EFL and Premiership decision.  (Boris and his advisors said those issues weren’t important enough to ban sports events, so why would football)

You're assuming Boris is right then...... a dangerous precedent.

The mere fact that players and staff are testing positive validates the decision to suspend.

I think the financial impact is being overstated. 

Do POTD receipts actually exceed the cost of match day expenses by a significant amount for a club like Latics, especially in our current predicament? 

This stuff should be budgeted for. Relying on Swindon Town to bring a four figure number of fans to keep us ticking over into next season would reek of poor planning.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Do POTD receipts actually exceed the cost of match day expenses by a significant amount for a club like Latics, especially in our current predicament? 

This stuff should be budgeted for. Relying on Swindon Town to bring a four figure number of fans to keep us ticking over into next season would reek of poor planning.

Have you any evidence of any reasonable planning this season, or even since Sept 2017?

7 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Barry planning his tea time to coincide with free pie n peas at the forum.

That was a masterstroke. 

As was sitting in the middle, "trapped', so Natalie had to get it for him. 

57 minutes ago, Ryan said:

We wouldn't be budgeting for Swindon bringing 4 figures. But we would be budgeting for them bringing a couple of hundred, or whatever their usual Saturday away support is. 

They may still bring a couple of hundred (depending on if/when the game is played). 

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Not one bit. 

To compare, on 1st March Italy has 322 cases and 24 deaths. 

We had 319 on 10th March with 11 deaths. 

Today, 2 weeks later, Italy had 17, 660 cases and a jump of 250 deaths to 1,266. And they took much firmer action closing down than we have. 

We may never know if it's s correct to cancel now, but we have to get ready for a major escalation very soon. 

51 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

We wouldn't be budgeting for Swindon bringing 4 figures. But we would be budgeting for them bringing a couple of hundred, or whatever their usual Saturday away support is. 

They may still bring a couple of hundred (depending on if/when the game is played). 

But we won’t be paying match-day staff, certain utilities, policing, VAT, players’ bonuses etc whilst we’re not playing.

Do pay on the day and away supporter receipts really exceed the cost of putting a game on by a colossal amount? I find it unlikely, but will happily admit I’m wrong if somebody has evidence to the contrary.

I’m not saying there’s no shortfall either by the way, but if we’re seriously relying on big away followings in this league to keep us ticking over then it’s a worrying lack of foresight...

6 hours ago, Matt said:

,This isnt flu.

May as well be.  It's a coronavirus- no, it ain't good but the facts are in the numbers and I'll leave you to sort it- no offence meant.  Probably best yes to halt sport and any other large gatherings until herd immunity but no good reason to go into a panic either. It is what it is an all that and if it is going off the way it's said to be, well then- we've all probably got it just about now.  Another happenchance gift to the Brands- oh, apologies, "Premier League sides," as they'll not be sweating loss of gates 😉 or those ever-swelling sales of merch to Yankeeland.  😍

6 hours ago, singe said:

To compare, on 1st March Italy has 322 cases and 24 deaths. 

We had 319 on 10th March with 11 deaths. 

Today, 2 weeks later, Italy had 17, 660 cases and a jump of 250 deaths to 1,266. And they took much firmer action closing down than we have. 

We may never know if it's s correct to cancel now, but we have to get ready for a major escalation very soon. 

It makes good sense to suspend football and other sport. The idea is that it will delay the peak until the NHS  is better prepared for it 

Depending on how it all progresses, the season could end in June or July, and the next one start in November.

how that plays out with so many permutations and dependencies, nobody knows at this stage 

I live in Japan and they closed schools and banned public gatherings, sports, etc two weeks ago. I noticed that the number of cases in the UK has now overtaken those here even though Covid-19 was detected in Japan much earlier. Looking at that I would say suspending the football is a step in the right direction. 

Also remember yes it is not the most deadly virus around, but if everyone gets it at once and you do get badly sick, you won't be getting the help you need if the hospitals are full. My 1 year old son was rushed to hospital in December with breathing problems from the RSV virus, he needed oxygen but there were only two beds in the hospital for kids with in this state. He recovered quickly but it could have been different if the hospitals were all full. This is not to make people panic but just to be aware of the problems that may lie ahead.

Stay safe! 

12 hours ago, Pidge said:

Talk to Boris and the chief medical advisors. They didn’t ban public gatherings, ie football matches.

Thankfully, it looks like they've decided to prohibit large gatherings.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-legislatio/uk-to-move-to-ban-mass-gatherings-next-week-to-curb-covid-19-idUKKBN2103HC

A vaccine is some way off (although I believe the Canadians have made progress - they turn hockey off and get immediate results! Fuck the Habs), let's not overburden our already struggling health network by letting our sports get in the way.

Stay healthy and wash your hands.

7 hours ago, alec_holland said:

Probably best yes to halt sport and any other large gatherings until herd immunity but no good reason to go into a panic either. It is what it is an all that and if it is going off the way it's said to be, well then- we've all probably got it just about now.

I agree with some of that. The 'herd' thing still needs a vaccine, otherwise the Govt. are just letting it burn through - also known as 'Do as little as possible and allow people to die, with minimal impact on the pound.' Policy.

Perhaps if they raise VAT and let it burn through? That might work. /s

no offence meant. 

None taken.

Archived