Season suspended until April 30th

2 hours ago, jsslatic said:

The reality is that by far the most straightforward and fairest way to finish things is for the season to restart when everything is up and running again and then to have a short break followed by the new season.

Scrap the cups for next season so everything catches up and we finish in time for Euro 2021. Pay a sum to the cup broadcasters as compensation which will be a lot less than the inevitable litigation by whichever teams are negatively affected by a unilateral decision to end the season.

What would happen with transfer windows and players out of contract in June?

This virus will still be around until people are vaccinated. My guess on that would be around Christmas time (no logical reason). They have vaccines already (I believe at least 8 in our labs) it's the testing, and in particular the mass production, that takes the time these days.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, al_bro said:

What would happen with transfer windows and players out of contract in June?

This virus will still be around until people are vaccinated. My guess on that would be around Christmas time (no logical reason). They have vaccines already (I believe at least 8 in our labs) it's the testing, and in particular the mass production, that takes the time these days.

If it's around 'til people are vaccinated we might as well forget next season as well. I may be wrong but thought that 18 months was quoted as a timescale for immunisation at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Continue at the start of next season, extend it, play twice a week to clscrap all cups except the FA Cup.

I think the extent of disruption this pandemic is going to create is being severely underestimated. To be frank, if my life is under threat of long-term disruption or maybe more, with my underlying problem, then I really do not place sporting fixture issues at the top of my list. The people whose lives this would ruin, however, is something totally different and how that could be fixed, I have no idea.

The least painful and complicated way is just to null & void the season. Obviously there will be some that won’t  like it, the Celtics, Liverpool’s and Leeds to name three but I cannot see any other way. Bolton are well up for this I hear, can’t think why? 

These are extraordinary circumstances and I don’t think there is any chance of the 19/20 season fixtures completing.

For me the league has 3 possible options,

1. Declare the season null & void and start next season with the same teams as this season began.

2. Use the positions of teams at the time of suspension as the final placings.

3. Due to some teams having played more or less fixtures than others, use a points per game average to determine final league positions.

I would go for option 1.

Teams on the brink of winning their respective leagues or with a real chance of promotion are going to be extremely disappointed whilst teams in danger of relegation will obviously be ecstatic. 

We are in uncharted territory here and extraordinary circumstances will lead to extraordinary decisions. 

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Teams on the brink of winning their respective leagues or with a real chance of promotion are going to be extremely disappointed whilst teams in danger of relegation will obviously be ecstatic. 

We are in uncharted territory here and extraordinary circumstances will lead to extraordinary decisions. 

The season is over 

The Imperial College London has released papers forecasting ‘case isolation and household quarantine’ will peak in June-July 

Now am certainly no expert but this lot being in the top 10 brains on science, medicine and engineering in the world, most certainly are 

Any thoughts of finishing this season are totally unrealistic.

The Football authorities need to step in very soon, make a decision on current league positions for continuity into a new season but more importantly find funds to pay players and staff of lower league teams

So much for our scientists.  They obviously now say they got it wrong to the tune of 260,000 deaths if the nuanced approach of last Thursday is followed.

No football, no bowling and social distancing for 12 weeks (at least).  Premier League and EFL did the right thing - MEA CULPA!

Imo this season has to be finished before the next one starts. If that means that there can be no 2020/21 season then so be it, but you cannot just null and void a season in which over two thirds of games have been played (even in these exceptional circumstances).

Obviously there will be complications with player contracts ending in June and the transfer window opening but I think we can all agree that there is no simple solution which satisfies everyone’s desires.

It’s very easy for us as a fanbase to want the most dull season in our entire history wiped off the record, but if we had something still to play for I guarantee responses would be different. Many of us might dislike Leeds and Liverpool but the integrity of our national sport means much more than petty blinkered point scoring against clubs we’d rather not see lift a trophy.

I agree with Ryan I think we have to finish this season regardless even if the league re starts in September

An option that could be possible to explore is to have  next season could be shortened perhaps a 23 game season in league 2? Which could be very much luck of the draw regards to who gets who at home and away but I can't see how they could cram a full calender season into next year you have to think about player welfare playing 2 games a week and then when you consider postponements as well will end up with teams playing 3 times a week.

Here’s another idea that’s been floated. 
End the season now and void it . Next season give everyone half the points they have accumulated this season and start from there. It gives some reward to those that have done well this season . 

41 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Here’s another idea that’s been floated. 
End the season now and void it . Next season give everyone half the points they have accumulated this season and start from there. It gives some reward to those that have done well this season . 

Or start next season with this seasons record for all clubs.  So clubs fighting for promotion, or scrapping to stay safe will still be doing so.  Clubs who are fighting for promotion will still have the advantage that they hold now, and clubs fighting to stay in their respective leagues will still have a fight on to stay up. 

Two seasons records rolled into one may be the fairest way forward..

30 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Or start next season with this seasons record for all clubs.  So clubs fighting for promotion, or scrapping to stay safe will still be doing so.  Clubs who are fighting for promotion will still have the advantage that they hold now, and clubs fighting to stay in their respective leagues will still have a fight on to stay up. 

Two seasons records rolled into one may be the fairest way forward..

Finish the one that is nearing completion before worrying about one that doesn't exist. I just think that's the most sensible, yet admittedly imperfect, resolution.

If that means resuming this current season next calendar year then so be it. Obviously national well-being is priority and restarting shouldn't be rushed to satisfy the appetite of impatient football supporters.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Could play this and next season from around August and follow on until to the summer after. A short break then to  season 3.

There is no way a new season can start in August. This virus will be around until a vaccine is developed and mass produced in enough numbers to cover the world. That could take two years. Vulnerable people like Wardle, myself and many more, will still be able to catch it even when the majority of fit and healthy people have had it. 

The next 18 months does not look good.  China are now worried that the lockdown in Wuhan has created a situation where 95% of the population still has no immunity to the virus which is undoubtedly still there.  Some expect another peak of infection when the lockdown ends and that is one of the things they were trying to avoid in the UK but not at the cost of 250,000 lives.  Let us hope that for some reason Wuhan can get back to normal.

It is almost worth, even at my age, finding someone with the virus and playing Russian roulette.  If I survived stamp my forehead with "I've had it" and go and support the local economy.

Archived