Season suspended until April 30th

11 minutes ago, Hands on said:

It is almost worth, even at my age, finding someone with the virus and playing Russian roulette.  If I survived stamp my forehead with "I've had it" and go and support the local economy.

Assuming you can't catch it a second time.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Hands on said:

It is almost worth, even at my age, finding someone with the virus and playing Russian roulette.  If I survived stamp my forehead with "I've had it" and go and support the local economy.

Except it can mutate into other forms of virus so you may be unlucky and get a double or treble up ! 

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

There is no way a new season can start in August. This virus will be around until a vaccine is developed and mass produced in enough numbers to cover the world. That could take two years. Vulnerable people like Wardle, myself and many more, will still be able to catch it even when the majority of fit and healthy people have had it. 

I believe tests are being done on existing drugs that are used on other diseases eg malaria, which night work on Covid-19, This would be a much faster route to a treatment/vaccine as human trials have already been done on them. (fingers crossed)

16 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

I believe tests are being done on existing drugs that are used on other diseases eg malaria, which night work on Covid-19, This would be a much faster route to a treatment/vaccine as human trials have already been done on them. (fingers crossed)

They are trialling combinations of anti-viral drugs (I don't think they are using ones that work on malaria as that's a parasite). However some of the drugs that seem to work have some rather unpleasant side-effects. Most of these drugs are used to combat other viruses, like Chickenpox and Swine Flu. 

However, IIRC there were supply issues with Tami-flu when swine flu was about. I doubt those supply issues will have resolved. 

Please remember to follow current NHS advice https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:08 PM, BP1960 said:

Could play this and next season from around August and follow on until to the summer after. A short break then to  season 3.

If by that you mean finish the current season whenever possible, then if necessary cancel 2020/21, I agree that is by far the fairest solution. Of course I accept it brings a lot of other complications - player contracts, etc. - but it would be much better than either voiding or freezing the current season. Maybe all existing contracts could be extended until whenever the last playing day of 2019/20 actually occurs, but I suspect the lawyers will still have a field day.

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

They are trialling combinations of anti-viral drugs (I don't think they are using ones that work on malaria as that's a parasite). However some of the drugs that seem to work have some rather unpleasant side-effects. Most of these drugs are used to combat other viruses, like Chickenpox and Swine Flu. 

However, IIRC there were supply issues with Tami-flu when swine flu was about. I doubt those supply issues will have resolved. 

Please remember to follow current NHS advice https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ 

This website lists some of the drugs being tested, they are used ATM for conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, HIV, malaria and ebola.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/here-are-some-existing-drugs-may-be-repurposed-treat-coronavirus-n1162021

23 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Very kind of them to do this. At least one thing the situation is bringing out...apart from the idiots ransacking the food shelves...is the sense of unity and trying to help those who are in a worse or more vulnerable position. 

The leagues maybe should stay as is until it can resume and God knows when that will be [I might ask him] and finish them to a conclusion, not scrap the 20/21 but par it down to a manageable number of games and allow the system to recover from there. At least clubs may stand a chance of revival and regaining income streams although I fear the wall may be looming for many because I cannot see any financial assistance being offered that will prevent it.

This could represent the biggest threat to Latics' existence we have seen so far.

My suggestion would be to complete the current season when we can, then split each league for season 2020-2021 (from the championship down), into north and south, effectively halving the number of games to be played.

All would  meet home and away with top two from each division (ie both north and south) to be promoted. You could introduce play offs I suppose but the idea is to reduce the number of games. May well increase gate receipts too as more local games will mean shorter journeys for fans.

EFL statement: Board update on coronavirus

Primary objective to deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season

Just now

Large

The EFL Board met today to discuss the implications of the COVID-19 outbreak for the League and its Clubs.

After receiving a detailed brief on a number of matters, the Board reaffirmed that the health and well-being of EFL staff, players, Club employees and supporters would remain central to all decisions in these fast-changing circumstances.

The EFL Board also acknowledges the positive role that member Clubs are playing in community solidarity, especially in supporting the vulnerable at this time.

2019/20 SEASON SCHEDULE

The primary objective, in order to protect competition integrity, is to deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season, subject to the over-riding priority around health and well-being. Plans continue to be developed on the agreed principle that it is in the best interests of the EFL and Clubs to complete the current season at the appropriate time.

The EFL is continuing regular dialogue with the Government and relevant health authorities and, as and when more information is known regarding the scale and extent of the coronavirus outbreak in this country, a decision will be taken on the resumption of the League’s fixtures.

Conversations will continue with the EFL’s counterparts at the FA, the Premier League, the PFA and the LMA to ensure football achieves a joined-up and collaborative approach.

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

As part of the League’s continued contingency planning, the Board heard the comments and observations from EFL Clubs, before discussing a number of issues including the current financial position and implications, insurance, regulatory matters and broadcasting arrangements.

Discussions centred on financial relief for Clubs in the short term and while there is no one single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately assist with cash flow via a £50million short-term relief package.

This fund consists of the remaining Basic Award payments being advanced to Clubs immediately, with the remainder made up through interest-free loan facility available to Clubs, calculated in line with the EFL’s Article of Associations.

The cash injection is included as part of a series of measures, that includes potential Government support to help Clubs and their associated businesses through this period of uncertainty. The EFL welcomes last night’s announcement made by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and is continuing discussions to understand how our Clubs can access the funding made available to support businesses.

In addition, we will continue our discussions with our football partners to determine how we can all get through this difficult, challenging and unprecedented situation.

CONTINGENCY PLANNING

The EFL, through a dedicated taskforce, continues to review the threat posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on our Clubs and competitions.

Alongside ensuring the 2019/20 season reaches a successful conclusion, protecting the EFL and its Clubs is a key priority for the EFL Board, who have today agreed on the following objectives to support future decision-making:

• Ensure the health and well-being of our Clubs’ employees, supporters and communities
• Make a positive contribution to the UK’s efforts to tackle coronavirus
• Protect the EFL’s financial model and Club finances
• Enable the EFL to continue to function as a business 
• Deliver a successful conclusion to the 2019/20 season

I don't get why people are suggesting this will be so complicated.

Once they can - start matches again and finish the season with a normalish gap between games..

It'll probably be summer, or certainly run into summer, and it'll be great.

Crowds might even be higher (for other clubs at least, maybe not us given our wider situation)

Adjust next season, and maybe the season after that, accordingly if necessary. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Once they can - start matches again and finish the season with a normalish gap between games..

Crowds might even be higher (for other clubs at least, maybe not us given our wider situation)

....and I thought I was an optimist, hope you're right !

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Have you actually watched the news?

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I assume you mean summer 2021.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Have you actually watched the news?

Yes, why?

Even if it's months away or next year the same should apply. Just finish the season when it can finally be finished.

Then start the next one at a sensible point thereafter.  

£50million short-term relief package.

This fund consists of the remaining Basic Award payments being advanced to Clubs immediately, with the remainder made up through interest-free loan facility available to Clubs, calculated in line with the EFL’s Article of Associations.

It will be a loan which has to be repaid.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

£50million short-term relief package.

It will be a loan which has to be repaid.

Not sure the likes of Macc will be able to repay it.

Archived