Season suspended until April 30th

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The delay to 30th April is based on all fixtures then being completed by 30th June.  So City would only have to play a maximum of 19 games in two months.

The only way would be to start by playing behind closed doors.  People with BT & Sky would benefit by having games to watch after a 10 week drought but no going to the pub and the season could be concluded in good time to start it all over again in August.

Sounds good but the possibility is almost zilch.

Rumours that the FA are considering two options for non league: either declaring the season completely void, or awarding promotion/relegation based on points-per-game. 

If it comes to that for the other leagues, I'd prefer the second option.  No option is fair to every club, but it's the least worst option.

We've completed most of the season and it's unfair to ignore the success of teams at the top and reward the failure of the teams at the bottom. 

Let's face it, who wants to go to Stevenage again when you can go to Costa del Barrow?

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Rumours that the FA are considering two options for non league: either declaring the season completely void, or awarding promotion/relegation based on points-per-game. 

If it comes to that for the other leagues, I'd prefer the second option.  No option is fair to every club, but it's the least worst option.

We've completed most of the season and it's unfair to ignore the success of teams at the top and reward the failure of the teams at the bottom. 

Let's face it, who wants to go to Stevenage again when you can go to Costa del Barrow?

Libpool not winning the title outweighs any of the negatives. 

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Whatever happened to the pools panel? They could decide every game left.😉

For me this season needs to be finished before the next one is started.  I'm surprised that they're already talking about cutting the season short in non-league.  It's something that should be done a lot later down the line in my opinion.

If they were to cut down next season I'd have a 34 game season and split the league in half after 23 games.  With teams playing the reverse fixtures against the teams in their half (a bit like the last 5 games of the Scottish Prem).  It'll never be completely fair and some teams might play more home games than away (and vice versa) but it would be as fair as it could be.

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

For me this season needs to be finished before the next one is started.  I'm surprised that they're already talking about cutting the season short in non-league.  It's something that should be done a lot later down the line in my opinion.

If they were to cut down next season I'd have a 34 game season and split the league in half after 23 games.  With teams playing the reverse fixtures against the teams in their half (a bit like the last 5 games of the Scottish Prem).  It'll never be completely fair and some teams might play more home games than away (and vice versa) but it would be as fair as it could be.

I for one would love this season to be brought to an end Bosh, it felt like a truly long season when it was halted due to the virus. It seems about 3 seasons ago since Laurent Banide was sacked. I have hated pretty much all the season although in fairness, the last 3 home games I have seen (was away for Forest Green game) were decent from a Latics perspective. I understand the sentiments about completing the season but for 85% of clubs (ours included) it would make more sense to call a halt now. I might not share the same view if my team was top or bottom but as its not...……………... 

If this postponement goes on for another 12 weeks, it would mean returning at the end of June and then trying to complete a further 2 months of the season thereby taking it to end of August.  That would mean this season lasted a full calendar year and then there would have to be a break of maybe a month to start next season.

I think it is doable if the number of fixtures for 2020/21 are reduced to maybe 36 and the League Cup and Leasing.com cups were dispensed with altogether.

I am not convinced all the EFL clubs will survive this crisis even if football was to resume in a few weeks but we wait and see with hope and trepidation   

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Non leagues of steps 3,4,5 and 6 (and grassroots below that) have all cancelled their seasons. All results expunged.

Whatever decision is taken by any leagues authorities it doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. Let's just get as many people as we can to the other side of this. 

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

Whatever decision is taken by any leagues authorities it doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. Let's just get as many people as we can to the other side of this. 

agree Alan, 0 deaths or as near to it as possible would be the best result for any club in any season

heard that some talk within football that maybe season may resume end of May - I for one think that is highly improbable and of no importance if we cannot be assured that there is no risk (or as little risk as possible) to staff, players and supporters in any resumption  

5 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

agree Alan, 0 deaths or as near to it as possible would be the best result for any club in any season

heard that some talk within football that maybe season may resume end of May - I for one think that is highly improbable and of no importance if we cannot be assured that there is no risk (or as little risk as possible) to staff, players and supporters in any resumption  

I find it hard to believe they’ve even suggested a plan for the future. That’s something none of us can do right now. 

Pick a date, any date....

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

If Latics matches are played behind closed doors I wonder if ifollow will make them available to watch in the UK and free to view?

I would.imagine that they would  be on iFollow but probably a tenner to watch as now.

51 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I would.imagine that they would  be on iFollow but probably a tenner to watch as now.

I think Sky Sports nd BT Sport  may go down the free to air route though for behind closed door games..

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think Sky Sports nd BT Sport  may go down the free to air route though for behind closed door games..

Can’t see that. Think they’ll try to cash in. What happens to people who’ve already paid to watch the match, via season tickets, if it’s to be behind closed doors ? 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

l don't think they could cover every game individually like Ifollow can.

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

That's good.

I just can't see next season starting, unless a drug is found which will cure or reduce the symptoms of this virus . Club will not be signing players this summer, to keep costs down. Players out of contract will be without income for a while.

Archived