Official COVID-19 megathread

17 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

- How does this effect the NHS long term will they get the funding and respect they deserve.

Hopefully it might no longer be political suicide to suggest replicating the better Universal Healthcare systems around the world and subsequently having fewer people die.....

Probably not though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In these days of staying at home to help the NHS and save lives one can become fixated on a particular thing.  For me it was the thought of a good hot chilli con carne.  Having successfully got a delivery slot with Ocado three weeks ago for yesterday I added the one ingredient that I don't have - the humble tin of kidney beans well actually organic and posh kidney beans because they didn't have the humble ones.

11 o'clock yesterday arrived with rising excitement in the household as the clock ticked round and then Gareth in his cabbage van arrived.  Disaster no kidney beans and this was the only thing they didn't have.  Are we now a nation of kidney bean eaters?  Has some moron posted on facebook that kidney beans can defeat Covid 19?  The wife says put baked beans in instead but it won't be the same.  Why kidney beans?

22 minutes ago, Hands on said:

In these days of staying at home to help the NHS and save lives one can become fixated on a particular thing.  For me it was the thought of a good hot chilli con carne.  Having successfully got a delivery slot with Ocado three weeks ago for yesterday I added the one ingredient that I don't have - the humble tin of kidney beans well actually organic and posh kidney beans because they didn't have the humble ones.

11 o'clock yesterday arrived with rising excitement in the household as the clock ticked round and then Gareth in his cabbage van arrived.  Disaster no kidney beans and this was the only thing they didn't have.  Are we now a nation of kidney bean eaters?  Has some moron posted on facebook that kidney beans can defeat Covid 19?  The wife says put baked beans in instead but it won't be the same.  Why kidney beans?

I thought I had a tin and was going to offer to leave it on your doorstep if you live in Oldham but, alas, I now remember I used them last week in an almost vegan chilli.....

Which was very nice. 

Soz..

Can anyone else on here help him out?

45 minutes ago, Hands on said:

I feel your pain....if it was in a tin and on a shelf it was a gonner in the on masse supermarket buyout....

psstttt....I have a tin what's your best offer?...live in Oldham, I will cycle to you with it.....

however, I may swap it for Brad Pitt, a ferrari or a million pounds?....no?

we could do a swap up....could a tin of kidney beans get us Lionel messi for latics maybe?

38 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Kidney beans were out of stock a few weeks ago at our local supermarket - is there a world shortage!

We tried baked beans as a replacement in chilli CC - not for me, but Mrs laticsrblue preferred them to the kidney variety.

11 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

Kidney beans were out of stock a few weeks ago at our local supermarket - is there a world shortage!

We tried baked beans as a replacement in chilli CC - not for me, but Mrs laticsrblue preferred them to the kidney variety.

got to agree, you have to have kidney beans,

3 hours ago, underdog said:

whats a uke?....is it a ukelele?...I have always fancied learning that since I saw Billy Connelly playing his

We may have to start up a latics beginners band....oh dear...heheh

Yes it's a ukelele, Bought one when I saw Frank Skinner on TV doing a programme about it, my ultimate inspiration was the legendary George Formby. 

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

Butter beans work pretty well in a chilli but only in for the last five minutes. 

Before my time but my Dad used to tell me that a stall on Tommyfield used to sell small cups of hot butter beans. 

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Has anyone on here got it or had it?

Or does anyone know anyone who has?

Think l did at the start but l was in a real down moment so l didnt do anything about it just used it as an excuse to hide inside from the world. Lost all sense of taste and smell, all over body pain, tired and sore throat. No real cough tho. Reported myself to 111 and wrote a new will, but after about three weeks of 20+ hours really shit sleep per day it seemed to go away. Mates wife is a confirmed case. Incidents not related, she's a nurse.

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Think l did at the start but l was in a real down moment so l didnt do anything about it just used it as an excuse to hide inside from the world. Lost all sense of taste and smell, all over body pain, tired and sore throat. No real cough tho. Reported myself to 111 and wrote a new will, but after about three weeks of 20+ hours really shit sleep per day it seemed to go away. Mates wife is a confirmed case. Incidents not related, she's a nurse.

hope you are both feeling much better now

19 hours ago, Wardie said:

I am actually on week six, after being ill and then having surgery.

I would have been back in work but the doc said no and I got my letter from the NHS telling me to isolate for 12 weeks. The days are beginning to lose their identity as actual days of the week but they are not dragging funnily enough and I am finding stuff to do. Thing is, I cannot go out in public at all due to the high risk, so the garden is my only refuge from the four walls of the house. My wife is doing the fetching and carrying food wise and beer wise, of course. 

Onward and upward... :D 

Doesn't the letter state  that everyone in the household should isolate with you, as they could catch the virus and bring it home to you?

Glad you are on the mend.

Archived