Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Magic Mikey - I`m not going to get all emotive.

I`ve only ever talked about perspective. Globally there have now been over 28,000 deaths recorded from coronavirus.

In the UK in 2014/15, just over 28,000 people died from the flu.

That provides perspective. I repeat again - this is not going to be Armageddon. 

I think your posts on this subject largely negates the validity of most of your previous posts.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Assume you're still going about your daily business then. Give it a rest. You're not a fucking doctor or a scientist. Nobody here is going to accept your opinion on this over the worlds cleverest people. 

Whilst generally I would agree with most of this, my personal opinion is that some of these so called cleverest people haven't got a fucking clue about this virus, they are guessing just like the majority of us. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Whilst generally I would agree with most of this, my personal opinion is that some of these so called cleverest people haven't got a fucking clue about this virus, they are guessing just like the majority of us. 

Undoubtedly true but I think their guesses are more educated than most. 

19 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

well... not quite but could be soon. 

said peak would be 260 or in april. 260 today so is already wrong once. IMO wayyy out on both. With the govt. chuckin that 'do well to keep deaths below 20K' line in there today...

23 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Magic Mikey - I`m not going to get all emotive.

I`ve only ever talked about perspective. Globally there have now been over 28,000 deaths recorded from coronavirus.

In the UK in 2014/15, just over 28,000 people died from the flu.

That provides perspective. I repeat again - this is not going to be Armageddon. 

I know 2014/15 was particularly bad for Flu related deaths, the common theory being the vaccine was wrong an ineffective. There is an article from The Guardian here...
The Guardian

Also note this article only deals with England and Wales.

What you are saying regarding the Flu deaths is not being contested. It is your apparent dismissal of a totally new virus which has no vaccine and unlikely in the very near future to have one. It's no use tossing figures around. For every person that dies, whether Flu or Covid, it's "Armageddon" and their personal end of days. I, for one, intend to get through this and I certainly don't take it for granted that I will, given my set of circumstances,

If you are sat there thinking everything will be alright and you have nothing to worry about, then you are as deluded as those idiots wandering around thinking they are invulnerable and disregarding the consequences for others. From your previous and unrelated posts, many of us know you are a sensible poster but you are displaying bad judgement on this one. Perspective is meaningless, this kind of situation has never happened in my lifetime and right now, I am not confident it won't happen again.

This one is a game changer on so many levels...health, society, finance, consumerism and it will ripple for many years to come, no doubt, probably at great cost to the tax payer and those retiring in the near future whose pensions will have been severely hit.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

those retiring in the near future whose pensions will have been severely hit.

Markets have recovered a bit already. Provided there aren't further drastic drops (which there could be) most people invested in a decent portfolio should come out of this in decent enough shape.

Everything I manage is now down about 10% across it all - unwelcome, especially if you were retiring now or soon, but not catastrophic.  

Most major indices are back at about 2016/2017 levels - which were then all time highs.

Most, if not all, people who've been invested for some time are still looking fine.

Once it looks like we're seeing the back of this and/or a vaccine is ready I hope & expect we'll be back where we were before it all and then kick on, as usual...  

History tells us that's what always happens...  

I received my letter yesterday stating that I shouldn't leave the house for 12 weeks. I will have to try and find some sort of exercise to do.  This will not be great as the weather gets better and warmer.

30 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I received my letter yesterday stating that I shouldn't leave the house for 12 weeks. I will have to try and find some sort of exercise to do.  This will not be great as the weather gets better and warmer.

It's not good is it - but it's the best advice you can be given in view of the known facts. We have people near us over 70 but they are invincible and go shopping sometimes twice a day - there's no telling them.

Just checking do you have people to deal with your shopping and other need, or do you need some help - always happy to help, just PM me if you need anything.

Keep safe and take care.

The World needs your spare computer power - Help in the search for a vaccine.

I'm using the spare processing power on my computer to aid the search for a covid-19 vaccine.
The search is organised by Stanford Uni, USA.   They have a programme that can be installed on any computer and after installation a project is sent to your computer to be worked on over a few days, whenever your computer is on.  Usually they search for treatments/vaccines etc for many diseases but ATM they're concentrating on covid-19.  You can download the client programme for your computer here:
https://foldingathome.org/

Once the client is running this web page will link to it, amongst other things it shows which particular project your computer is working on.
http://client.foldingathome.org/

On 3/28/2020 at 5:17 PM, Monty Burns said:

said peak would be 260 or in april. 260 today so is already wrong once. IMO wayyy out on both. With the govt. chuckin that 'do well to keep deaths below 20K' line in there today...

It said between 210 and 330 peak likely.  Although 260 is still the peak to be fair, as yesterdays numbers went down.

but like I said, yes I think it will be wrong very soon probably.

38 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

It said between 210 and 330 peak likely.  Although 260 is still the peak to be fair, as yesterdays numbers went down.

but like I said, yes I think it will be wrong very soon probably.

Expect a sharp rise in american deaths as it moves inland toward the older god bothering belt. Possibly including apocalypse type panic.

Save me jebus 🙄.

He's probably a bit Marmite to some, Stewart Lee. Loved his latest column in the Guardian this week.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/29/out-with-pub-bores-back-in-with-the-experts

Especially:

Tim Wetherspoon’s booze palaces are pie-and-a-pint flophouses for the daytime diaspora of the austerity era, where inexpensively nourished customers are hypnotised by bespoke and quite brilliant regionally specific carpet designs and beguiling guest ales, before being seduced by slogan-strewn anti-EU beermats while at their most mentally pliable.

and this

Our prime minister, Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Wall-Spaffer Spunk-Burster Fuck-Business Fuck-the-Families Get-Off-My-Fucking-Laptop Girly-Swot Big-Girl’s-Blouse Chicken-frit Hulk-Smash Noseringed-Crusties Death-Humbug Technology-Lessons Surrender-Bullshit French-Turds Dog-Whistle Get-Stuffed FactcheckUK@CCHQ 88%-lies Get-Brexit-Done Bung-a-Bob-for-Big-Ben’s-Bongs Cocaine-Event Spiritual-Worth Three-Men-and-a-Dog Whatever-It-Takes Johnson, however, is still afoot.

😅

Archived