Official COVID-19 megathread

48 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He's probably a bit Marmite to some, Stewart Lee. Loved his latest column in the Guardian this week.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/29/out-with-pub-bores-back-in-with-the-experts

Especially:

and this

😅

Best comic on the circuit by a country mile.  Don't necessarily agree with all his politics but who wants to listen to stuff they agree with.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Best comic on the circuit by a country mile.  Don't necessarily agree with all his politics but who wants to listen to stuff they agree with.

He's brilliant, but no-one can get near to Daniel Kitson. 

51 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Exactly.

I don't think he necessarily agrees with all his own politics either.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

He's brilliant, but no-one can get near to Daniel Kitson. 

Is it only me who hasn't a bloody clue who you're talking about?

38 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Is it only me who hasn't a bloody clue who you're talking about?

He eschews the mainstream. His shows sell out instantly, so very hard to get to see him. I've seen him three times and every one was a work of genius. I was due to see Stewart Lee again next month, goodness knows when that will be on. 

10 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

He eschews the mainstream. His shows sell out instantly, so very hard to get to see him. I've seen him three times and every one was a work of genius. I was due to see Stewart Lee again next month, goodness knows when that will be on. 

I've seen him every year for pretty much the last ten having been familiar with his 80s work with Richard Herring.  Does a two month residency in Leicester Square either side of Christmas but unlikely to be playing the O2 any time soon

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I've seen him every year for pretty much the last ten having been familiar with his 80s work with Richard Herring.  Does a two month residency in Leicester Square either side of Christmas but unlikely to be playing the O2 any time soon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/stage/2012/aug/05/daniel-kitson-god-small-things

Worth a read. 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

ta.  doesn't seem to be much on youtube

That's the problem. The bits I've found tend to be short routines from comedy festivals, they don't do him justice. I think there's a clip out there of him talking to Stewart Lee on his radio show. If you do get chance to see him on the other side grab it. He does do a fair few charity shows in that there London. 

2 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

That's the problem. The bits I've found tend to be short routines from comedy festivals, they don't do him justice. I think there's a clip out there of him talking to Stewart Lee on his radio show. If you do get chance to see him on the other side grab it. He does do a fair few charity shows in that there London. 

I will, always up for a comedy recommendation

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Stewart Lee.

Try this as a starter if you are unfamiliar

Cheers Dave. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. Maybe it's my age, maybe I just don't appreciate modern day comedy, maybe I'm just a miserable old sod,  but I never even managed a smile in the first 5 minutes. 

At least I know who he is now. I'd honestly never heard of him, or t'other bloke that someone mentioned. Sorry.

4 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Cheers Dave. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. Maybe it's my age, maybe I just don't appreciate modern day comedy, maybe I'm just a miserable old sod,  but I never even managed a smile in the first 5 minutes. 

At least I know who he is now. I'd honestly never heard of him, or t'other bloke that someone mentioned. Sorry.

People either get him or don't  - Nobody has ever been to a Stewart Lee gig and said it was just ok!  Not so much modern comedy though - he's been on the circuit for over 30 years.

2 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Check your message inbox :)

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Do you know, these days. If you say you're English. You get arrested and thrown in jail. These days.

"'In the old days you could get your head and submerge it in a vat of boiling acid. But now people are saying don't do that, what if Jews see it?'"

Archived