Official COVID-19 megathread

According to the weather forecast it's going to warm up this weekend. Possibly 20 degrees on Sunday somewhere.

I'm sure there are a few mutations of this virus around. An expert in the WHO said that mutations are nearly always weaker than the original virus. It seems like the unfortunate people who suffer most are not just the elderly, but the ones who catch the original version. George Alagiah, the BBC news reader had a test when he went for his routine cancer checkup and it came back positive. Although his immune system is shot to pieces by the Chemo. he didn't realise he had it. His only symptom was a bit of a temperature.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Butter beans work pretty well in a chilli but only in for the last five minutes. 

Before my time but my Dad used to tell me that a stall on Tommyfield used to sell small cups of hot butter beans. 

🤢

9 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I thought I had a tin and was going to offer to leave it on your doorstep if you live in Oldham but, alas, I now remember I used them last week in an almost vegan chilli.....

Which was very nice. 

Soz..

Can anyone else on here help him out?

Pretty sure u have some, not a fan of them  if u live in royton or surrounding area they're yours I'll drop them whilst out running.

9 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Has anyone on here got it or had it?

Or does anyone know anyone who has?

One of my dad's work colleagues passed away yesterday after contracting it last week. He was in his late 60's.

My dad (70) has got a persistent cough that's been there for around a week now. No other symptoms and he feels fine at the moment. I'm calling him about four times a day to check up on him.

10 hours ago, underdog said:

got to agree, you have to have kidney beans,

Nah. I'm a staunch Black bean and pinto bean man for a bit more authenticity. Dash of liquid smoke and a small block of dark chocolate for the finish too. Phoar.

And bad bellends who don't cook their mince until dry and almost crumbly before adding any tomatoes should get locked away in the post Covid-19 sweep along with that cunt from Wetherspoons and Toby Young.

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Nah. I'm a staunch Black bean and pinto bean man for a bit more authenticity. Dash of liquid smoke and a small block of dark chocolate for the finish too. Phoar.

you know I do believe I have some pinto beans in a dark recess of the food cupboard and I was munching on some dark chocolate last night and have some left...so guess what I will be trying next...cheers

Currently soaking some black peas, for black mushy peas with lashing of salt, vinegar and pepper.,  memories of bon-fire night as a kid...nom, nom

24 minutes ago, underdog said:

you know I do believe I have some pinto beans in a dark recess of the food cupboard and I was munching on some dark chocolate last night and have some left...so guess what I will be trying next...cheers

Currently soaking some black peas, for black mushy peas with lashing of salt, vinegar and pepper.,  memories of bon-fire night as a kid...nom, nom

In my childhood black peas were mainly for firing out of peashooters. Extra kudos for getting one in a tuba on the Whit Friday band contests. 

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

And bad bellends who don't cook their mince until dry and almost crumbly before adding any tomatoes should get locked away in the post Covid-19 sweep along with that cunt from Wetherspoons and Toby Young.

At last! Someone who pops dark chocolate into a chilli. Really does something for the flavour. 

On the subject of mince, I've got a fantastic recipe for Mongolian beef. It takes a fair bit of prep, quite a lot of ingredients, but the results are well worth it. 

If anyone wants to give it a try, I'll post the recipe.

18 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

At last! Someone who pops dark chocolate into a chilli. Really does something for the flavour. 

On the subject of mince, I've got a fantastic recipe for Mongolian beef. It takes a fair bit of prep, quite a lot of ingredients, but the results are well worth it. 

If anyone wants to give it a try, I'll post the recipe.

oooo...interesting....yes defo I will be going to local butchers over weekend....or PM me if folk don;t want this thread stuffing up with recipes

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

In my childhood black peas were mainly for firing out of peashooters. Extra kudos for getting one in a tuba on the Whit Friday band contests. 

multi-functional and hurt like hell if you got hit by one..haha....however I did not try the Tuba part

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's been a while since I've seen such a car crash of a post as this....

MUIXyMs.gif

Are you with me on this @jorvik_latic

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I can't get liquid smoke anywhere? Some bastards must be stockpiling it.

Let's make sure there's a reckoning on the other side for the cunt from Wetherspoons, the cunt from Sports Direct, the cunts stockpiling liquid smoke and any cunt who's tried to profit from this crisis.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

It's been a while since I've seen such a car crash of a post as this....

MUIXyMs.gif

Are you with me on this @jorvik_latic

Yes and no. I'm ok with the cooking of mince so all the moisture evaporates - you get caramelisation on the meat (I don't always bother though). Unless you're saying that it should be diced beef and then I'm definitely in agreement, proper chili. Liquid smoke? No, no, no. If you want authenticity, use chipotle peppers  for the smokiness. Or a bit of smoked paprika works.

:grin: 

32 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Yes and no. I'm ok with the cooking of mince so all the moisture evaporates - you get caramelisation on the meat (I don't always bother though). Unless you're saying that it should be diced beef and then I'm definitely in agreement, proper chili. Liquid smoke? No, no, no. If you want authenticity, use chipotle peppers  for the smokiness. Or a bit of smoked paprika works.

:grin: 

I can feel a OWTB chilli-off coming once we return to the real world. I'm with you on chipotle peppers but you're not going to find them at local shops. I either go for slow cooked beef shin or just plain old minced beef. And what's wrong with the liquid smoke? A drop is ace in with baked beans and all.

Some people.

Alan Partridge GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY 

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Alright Pancho Villa. Calm your tits.

😄

You've got me craving this now - with braising steak rather than mince obviously... 😂

And I can't otherwise justify my next dystopian supermarket trip for a few days 😟

Just now, HarryBosch said:

😄

You've got me craving this now - with braising steak rather than mince obviously... 😂

And I can't otherwise justify my next dystopian supermarket trip for a few days 😟

I suppose my chilli is more Aztec Zone on The Crystal Maze than a street market in Guadalajara if I'm honest. 😃

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I can feel a OWTB chilli-off coming once we return to the real world. I'm with you on chipotle peppers but you're not going to find them at local shops. I either go for slow cooked beef shin or just plain old minced beef. And what's wrong with the liquid smoke? A drop is ace in with baked beans and all.

Some people.

Alan Partridge GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY 

I've bought them from Sainsburys in Oldham before, was a while ago though. Nothing wrong with liquid smoke just that you were saying about authentisity with the beans and then said about using the smoke :wink: 

7 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I've bought them from Sainsburys in Oldham before, was a while ago though. Nothing wrong with liquid smoke just that you were saying about authentisity with the beans and then said about using the smoke :wink: 

Sorry, I meant the black and pinto beans are the authentic style ingredients. I'm massively glad we've got that sorted, chilli-con-carne fans. Here's Tom with the weather.

41 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Sorry, I meant the black and pinto beans are the authentic style ingredients. I'm massively glad we've got that sorted, chilli-con-carne fans. Here's Tom with the weather.

Ha. You'd possibly have been fine with Inspector Bosch if you hadn't mentioned authentic...

Archived