Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, laticsrblue said:

The World needs your spare computer power - Help in the search for a vaccine.

I'm using the spare processing power on my computer to aid the search for a covid-19 vaccine.
The search is organised by Stanford Uni, USA.   They have a programme that can be installed on any computer and after installation a project is sent to your computer to be worked on over a few days, whenever your computer is on.  Usually they search for treatments/vaccines etc for many diseases but ATM they're concentrating on covid-19.  You can download the client programme for your computer here:
https://foldingathome.org/

Once the client is running this web page will link to it, amongst other things it shows which particular project your computer is working on.
http://client.foldingathome.org/

No apologies for bringing this to everyone's attention again.

If your graphics processor is up to it,  that will be used as well as your CPU.  Sadly mine isn't, I'm not a gamer,

Spotted these interested articles on the FSA website today

Some fan questions, since its been lack of comms from the club 

https://thefsa.org.uk/fan-resources/coronavirus-faqs/

A list of clubs and who is doing what in the community in this time of need

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/football-comes-together-in-the-face-of-covid-19-part-ii/

Interesting article as well on  how Portsmouth rose from the ashes

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/our-club-film-charts-rise-of-portsmouth-from-the-ashes/

just in case anyone is bored.

TBH I was hoping the club would be using this time to engage with supporters and both supporters organisations but, its seems to be quite

Update from EFL

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/april/efl-statement-joint-statement-from-the-efl-and-the-pfa/?fbclid=IwAR3jDBsQsQWyYKEf6gVgdx1vXgjQXbDI0PRY82nOYGfKcf7oCO_EtN3Ov08

Update from Spain, where we are close to 20,000 deaths, the highest number in the world / million of population, and that after the govt fiddles the numbers. As in the UK only deaths in hospital are counted and the virus has ripped through care homes killing thousands that don’t figure.

The only thing politicians anywhere are good for is spinning porkies, but at least in the UK you have a reasonably independent press that is allowed to question their decisions and actions directly.

Not so here where the only questions permitted are the ones from friendly govt subsidized sources. The TV stations are also in the govt’s pocket, so the disastrous handling of the crisis isn’t questioned.

The Communist vicepresident has said that an independent press is “ a threat to democracy” sic, and is doing his best in stopping anything being published that doesn’t follow the govt line.

The cops are out fining people who step out of doors min 600€. As there’s little traffic they’ve got the helicopters out searching the hills for people walking their dogs too far.

Venezuela here we come.

1 hour ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

at least in the UK you have a reasonably independent press that is allowed to question their decisions and actions directly.

Not so here where the only questions permitted are the ones from friendly govt subsidized sources. The TV stations are also in the govt’s pocket, so the disastrous handling of the crisis isn’t questioned.

Whilst I'm not denying the state of the press in Spain, the press here are simply not asking the right questions, or probing the government enough.

Why, despite the UK having a head start with what was happening in Spain and Italy, were we late to the party in getting the country locked down. We let two huge sporting occasions go ahead (Cheltenham / Liverpool v Athletico) when we should have been gearing for lockdown FFS.

Why have our NHS not got enough PPE coverage?

Why are we still seeing absolute knobheads roam around as they wish? And by doing so inevitably will extend the lockdown further.

Instead the UK press seem happy to report on what the fuck Boris is doing whilst recovering at Chequers. The same man who's not being put to task for the absolute clusterfuck they've made of communicating messages to the general public (the confused mantra coming out from the government was nothing short of a joke). Who's happily put people in harms way by forcing so many to work in conditions conductive to spreading this evil disease.

No, I'm sorry, the UK press can get to fuck in my opinion. They need to do so much more.

Having helped some friends with food deliveries over the last 3 weeks it has become noticeable that traffic levels are definitely on the up, today wasn't far short of normal weekday around North Manchester, Middleton and chadderton. I think people are starting to tire of the lock down, not good signs at all. 

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Whilst I'm not denying the state of the press in Spain, the press here are simply not asking the right questions, or probing the government enough.

Why, despite the UK having a head start with what was happening in Spain and Italy, were we late to the party in getting the country locked down. We let two huge sporting occasions go ahead (Cheltenham / Liverpool v Athletico) when we should have been gearing for lockdown FFS.

Why are we still seeing absolute knobheads roam around as they wish? And by doing so inevitably will extend the lockdown further.

Instead the UK press seem happy to report on what the fuck Boris is doing whilst recovering at Chequers. The same man who's not being put to task for the absolute clusterfuck they've made of communicating messages to the general public (the confused mantra coming out from the government was nothing short of a joke). Who's happily put people in harms way by forcing so many to work in conditions conductive to spreading this evil disease.

No, I'm sorry, the UK press can get to fuck in my opinion. They need to do so much more.

Undoubtedly the press could and should do much more. Even The Grauniad is holding fire, except for a couple of articles from Marina Hyde and John Crace.

The only biting criticism I’ve seen of the UK govt is in Private Eye, but the questions that get thrown on the virus update sessions every day, as mild and as rarely answered as they are, would have no chance of even being asked here.

I have been to Bury town centre today (live in Bury so not travelling per se) to pick up my Mrs prescription, couldn't believe how many people were out and about.

There is an Asda where there was a big queue but also some non-essential shops appeared to be open, very worrying.

I think the UK is very complacent - both the Government and the public, very concerned about how this is going. Having seen the lockdowns on TV in other countries (particularly Spain and Italy), doesn't resemble UK lockdown. 

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The reason the lockdown wasn't put in place sooner, was because of people tiring of it at the wrong time. As Disjointed says it looks like some now are, but at least the NHS may be able to cope a little better for the next few weeks. If it gets worse, then a more stringent lockdown will have to be brought in. The Government are trying to take people with them. 

As for the press not covering the shortage of PPE, that is simply not correct, For the past few days I have heard nothing but this shortage and I'm sick of hearing it. Do they think the Government has a stash somewhere that they are deliberately holding back? Of course not, there is a world shortage because all countries want it. In the far east they are better prepared with PPE because they have been more affected by recent outbreaks of viruses like this.

36 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I have been to Bury town centre today (live in Bury so not travelling per se) to pick up my Mrs prescription, couldn't believe how many people were out and about.

There is an Asda where there was a big queue but also some non-essential shops appeared to be open, very worrying.

I think the UK is very complacent - both the Government and the public, very concerned about how this is going. Having seen the lockdowns on TV in other countries (particularly Spain and Italy), doesn't resemble UK lockdown. 

Just a few hundred yards from my house today the Cops have been out blocking the road causing 1-2 hour delays and fining 1000€ to anyone who couldn't produce either an employers work certificate or supermarket receipt. They're going to make much more out of this lockdown than they ever did with traffic fines.

10 minutes ago, al_bro said:

As for the press not covering the shortage of PPE, that is simply not correct, For the past few days I have heard nothing but this shortage and I'm sick of hearing it. Do they think the Government has a stash somewhere that they are deliberately holding back? Of course not, there is a world shortage because all countries want it. In the far east they are better prepared with PPE because they have been more affected by recent outbreaks of viruses like this.

Think it's the Government denying there's any shortages for the last few weeks that is diametrically opposite to what most NHS and care home staff are reporting that's keeping it in the news.

When you get a prat like Cummings anywhere near Downing Street it makes you wonder if you can trust anything that they utter, whether he said "let a few pensioners die" or not !

20 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I know for a fact the business secretary has been sending out letters to business owners telling them to re-open. The government massively underestimated the amount of businesses who would furlough staff. 
Meanwhile local MP’s are telling business to shut for obvious reasons, so owners simple do not know what to do. Being told two things. 

That’s from my experience anyways. 

20 hours ago, al_bro said:

Hancock can find badges though can't he...

22 hours ago, al_bro said:

The reason the lockdown wasn't put in place sooner, was because of people tiring of it at the wrong time. As Disjointed says it looks like some now are, but at least the NHS may be able to cope a little better for the next few weeks. If it gets worse, then a more stringent lockdown will have to be brought in. The Government are trying to take people with them. 

The last bit isn't quite correct. The reason they are ahead is because they wear masks all the time and because they make PPE to sell to the planet in their concentration camps. They just kept the stuff they had sold in advance and used it themselves.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Think it's the Government denying there's any shortages for the last few weeks that is diametrically opposite to what most NHS and care home staff are reporting that's keeping it in the news.

When you get a prat like Cummings anywhere near Downing Street it makes you wonder if you can trust anything that they utter, whether he said "let a few pensioners die" or not !

Not only, but also...

https://archive.is/20200418182037/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

On the third Friday of January a silent and stealthy killer was creeping across the world. Passing from person to person and borne on ships and planes, the coronavirus was already leaving a trail of bodies.

The virus had spread from China to six countries and was almost certainly in many others. Sensing the coming danger, the British government briefly went into wartime mode that day, holding a meeting of Cobra, its national crisis committee.

But it took just an hour that January 24 lunchtime to brush aside the coronavirus threat. Matt Hancock, the health secretary, bounced out of Whitehall after chairing the meeting and breezily told reporters the risk to the UK public was “low”.

This was despite the publication that day of an alarming study by Chinese doctors in the medical journal, The Lancet. It assessed the lethal potential of the virus, for the first time suggesting it was comparable to the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed up to 50 million people.

Archived