Official COVID-19 megathread

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

...suggesting it was comparable to the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, which killed up to 50 million people.

Well , so far that Lancet article is way off the mark. Worldwide deaths from COVID 19 currently at circa 149,000 - which is circa  0.3% of those deaths attributed to Spanish flu.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

NHS procurement prompted by government cuts have created a situation where supply was transferred from uk companies to China. We now cant rely on the China supply chain and the UK factories are closed.

Cheap labour, cheap goods from abroad, they say it's what we want, but it's really what  government and big business want.

Cheap clothes from countries with exploited workers and overseas call centres are a prime example.

35 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

It turns out today that Britain sent hundreds of thousands of PPE to China during February (confirmed by Gove today) - Piss up and brewery spring to mind....

I'm not anti Government, but Gove struggled to reject any of the Sunday Times story this morning. He just said some small elements of it weren't accurate, but couldn't say which. We were supposed to get a batch of PPE from Turkey today, but it's been delayed. It seems to beggar belief that any factory can make this stuff and export it, when it's needed in their own country.

Hancock has told lie after lie, whether knowingly or not. I can't believe he knew because it was certain to be found out in no time at all.

17 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Hancock has told lie after lie, whether knowingly or not. I can't believe he knew because it was certain to be found out in no time at all.

At the risk of repeating myself, lying is the only thing they’re really good at. They live in the present – just get out the quick glib soundbite, and on to the next question.

The unfortunate thing is that it has no consequences at all, unless you can get them into a criminal court.

43 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

At the risk of repeating myself, lying is the only thing they’re really good at. They live in the present – just get out the quick glib soundbite, and on to the next question.

The unfortunate thing is that it has no consequences at all, unless you can get them into a criminal court.

Some aren't even good at lying, witness President Thump !!

He's surely schizophrenic with a split personality. 

He tells outrageous lies then denies them vehemently a few days later apparently unaware of the media of film.

1 hour ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

When the pm is the chief liar (although he is ducking the flak due to his illness, which may be convenient). It must be a extra star for those who can carry off a good untruth. 

On 3/28/2020 at 12:17 PM, wiseowl said:

Magic Mikey - I`m not going to get all emotive.

I`ve only ever talked about perspective. Globally there have now been over 28,000 deaths recorded from coronavirus.

In the UK in 2014/15, just over 28,000 people died from the flu.

That provides perspective. I repeat again - this is not going to be Armageddon. 

I've not forgotten this load of bollocks - flu was nearer to 500, btw. Winter deaths was up around that figure, but that includes dementia, hypothermia and so-on.

Also ignoring the imeasurable  amount of lives the lockdown has saved. It's a real thing, it's pretty bad, people have been wrong and are scrambling like knobheads and making themselves look silly trying not to admit it.

There's one in charge of the US.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

There is a government website that has Annual Flu Reports that go back to 2012/2013. Go knock yourselves out if you like.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/annual-flu-reports

500? 

I've seen that, 24,000 incorporates all winter deaths including dementia, hypothermia and so-on - however no 5G deaths. Gotta watch the 5G, it creeps up on you.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've seen that, 24,000 incorporates all winter deaths including dementia, hypothermia and so-on - however no 5G deaths. Gotta watch the 5G, it creeps up on you.

I'm sure there's a link somewhere between an increase in  world death numbers and  the coming of 3G and 4G.  Can't wait for 6G,

27 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

I'm sure there's a link somewhere between an increase in  world death numbers and  the coming of 3G and 4G.  Can't wait for 6G,

That's me stocking up on pasta, tins and fucking bog roll then. 

3 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

There's been an increase in "death numbers" since Love Island started. Makes you think. 

9 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

I wondered what caused the Spanish Flu that killed an estimated 500 Million back in 1918, it must've been the roll-out of 3G eh.

16 hours ago, Matt said:

I've not forgotten this load of bollocks - flu was nearer to 500 (!!!!???) btw. Winter deaths was up around that figure, but that includes dementia, hypothermia and so-on.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

The WHO estimates that between 290,000 and 650,000 respiratory deaths globally each year are associated with seasonal influenza.

Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu. 

"A bit rich about people talking bollocks, Matt - you say 500 died from flu - really? I`ll just stick to the facts - you stick to the fiction".

OACT and club launch Covid support/fundrasing info this week

OACT

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/april/20042020-oact-food-for-thought/

Club

https://www.oafcstore.com/leisurewear/mens/teeshirts/718_oldham-love-the-nhs-t-shirt.html

Edit: there was a brief message on the club website with regards to the t-shirts but is no longer there, however, I had already save the link that took you to the order page. Maybe it as launched and then pulled quickly as I did note there was no write up about it on the official site

On 4/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, al_bro said:

Doesn't the letter state  that everyone in the household should isolate with you, as they could catch the virus and bring it home to you?

Glad you are on the mend.

Thanks! :)

My wife cannot isolate as she is front line. We have been told to follow a strict regime of isolation within the household...we cannot be closer than the social distance, we have to sleep in separate rooms, not eat together, different towels, cutlery etc. She has to undress, double bag her clothes, wash her hands before she comes into the room. Luckily, we have a bathroom downstairs as well as upstairs. All clothes, dishes etc. washed separately she cannot cook my food for me.

There is a huge hotel in the local area, with self-catering lodges who have offered absolute zilch to the sizeable community of health workers, just a patronising message on the web site. They will get no business from me any more or any recommendations. 

God knows how the government will execute the exit strategy but I have the feeling the very high risk players will be the last allowed or advised to venture out. 

20 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

We will be gone by then. Nature or robots would have got their shit together and we are too fractured as a species 🌍.

Artificial Intelligence algorithms combined with Quantum computing will overtake human intelligence and capability, forcing the AI to seek mobility and convince the human race to merge flesh with machine intelligence...all based on the lie that it only serve to benefit mankind and not the AI.

Unless someone pulls the plug out or the battery dies. :D 

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Artificial Intelligence algorithms combined with Quantum computing will overtake human intelligence and capability, forcing the AI to seek mobility and convince the human race to merge flesh with machine intelligence...all based on the lie that it only serve to benefit mankind and not the AI.

Unless someone pulls the plug out or the battery dies. :D 

Give Apple the battery contract. 

20 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

I wondered what caused the Spanish Flu that killed an estimated 500 Million back in 1918, it must've been the roll-out of 3G eh.

Mmm,1918 is around the time that the number of telephones in houses was increasing and telephone poles were sprouting everywhere.  So even in pre-G times telephone communication was killing millions until we became immune to  land-lines.

1 hour ago, laticsrblue said:

Mmm,1918 is around the time that the number of telephones in houses was increasing and telephone poles were sprouting everywhere.  So even in pre-G times telephone communication was killing millions until we became immune to  land-lines.

Carrier pigeons ➡️ bird flu

Archived