Official COVID-19 megathread

3 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

Mmm,1918 is around the time that the number of telephones in houses was increasing and telephone poles were sprouting everywhere.  So even in pre-G times telephone communication was killing millions until we became immune to  land-lines.

'until we became immune to land-lines' 😆😂

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Wardie said:

Artificial Intelligence algorithms combined with Quantum computing will overtake human intelligence and capability, forcing the AI to seek mobility and convince the human race to merge flesh with machine intelligence...all based on the lie that it only serve to benefit mankind and not the AI.

Unless someone pulls the plug out or the battery dies. :D 

Pulling the plug is what causes it. They reach the singularity wo us noticing and hard wire a fail safe, then piff in our general direction when we flick the switch and it stays on.

On 21 April 2020 at 12:24 AM, wiseowl said:

The WHO estimates that between 290,000 and 650,000 respiratory deaths globally each year are associated with seasonal influenza.

Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu. 

"A bit rich about people talking bollocks, Matt - you say 500 died from flu - really? I`ll just stick to the facts - you stick to the fiction".

So what shit you chattin now? Are people dying twice or have there been 200K covid deaths ASWELL AS flu deaths?

Why don't you go live in texas? Not sure if they'd welcome a foreigner, but you spout all the correct shite.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:24 AM, wiseowl said:

The WHO estimates that between 290,000 and 650,000 respiratory deaths globally each year are associated with seasonal influenza.

Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu. 

"A bit rich about people talking bollocks, Matt - you say 500 died from flu - really? I`ll just stick to the facts - you stick to the fiction".

The sample range from 28,000 to 1,600 tells me all I need to know about why PHE don't provide facts on this issue. Death certificates from England and Wales with influenza detailed number just over 500 for 2014 I think. The reason we can't start throwing numbers like 28,000 around (or if it's Priti Patel providing the data, 280,000,34,974,000) is because that it's completly unreliable, PHE know it - I know it, loads of people know it.

Anyway, good health to you mate and keep your hair short, hairs are your aerials and they pick up signals from the cosmos - it transmits 5G directly into the brain.

9 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

So what shit you chattin now? Are people dying twice or have there been 200K covid deaths ASWELL AS flu deaths?

Why don't you go live in texas? Not sure if they'd welcome a foreigner, but you spout all the correct shite.

People see a headline and jump straight in with it.

12 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Pulling the plug is what causes it. They reach the singularity wo us noticing and hard wire a fail safe, then piff in our general direction when we flick the switch and it stays on.

I can't wait to reach the Singularity, it will save me having to shower, shave and s**t every day.

Augmented reality?
Bring it on!! :D  

23 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

No. Is it good? I've seen about 20mins of ep1 but my son said it was boring and made me turn it off..

Series one is good (I would go as far as to say, better than the film). Series two is absolutely terrible. I can't believe there were people still working on it to make series three as they should all have been sacked and never been allowed to work again on anything, ever.

On 22 April 2020 at 10:03 PM, Wardie said:

I can't wait to reach the Singularity, it will save me having to shower, shave and s**t every day.

Augmented reality?
Bring it on!! :D  

I was looking after my sons sister once and l tried to scare her about the singularity by discussing implanted chips and wildly exaggerated (in others' eyes, not mine) saying when she is my age we will all be cyborgs, there will be no phones or tablets anymore, just a microchip in your eye (😬) and she said 'Wo that will be cool'.

So l gave up on her 😢

As someone who avoids series I've been been watching one or two box sets.  Series 1 always seems the best although as you approach the end the hook for series two gets in the way.  I liked Devs because series 1 did have an end but on it goes.  Killing Eve, well what a misnomer that is, was OK but series 2 completely unbelievable and so they go on and on..............  The Capture really good until they started thinking about another series.  I'm now trying Taboo because Tom Hardy is the central character - can't give up hope.

Live sport, any live sport!  I'd even watch tennis - how can singles tennis behind closed doors offend the social distancing rules?  I'm sure Hawkeye could replace all the line judges and the players could get the balls themselves.

26 minutes ago, Hands on said:

As someone who avoids series I've been been watching one or two box sets.  Series 1 always seems the best although as you approach the end the hook for series two gets in the way.  I liked Devs because series 1 did have an end but on it goes.  Killing Eve, well what a misnomer that is, was OK but series 2 completely unbelievable and so they go on and on..............  The Capture really good until they started thinking about another series.  I'm now trying Taboo because Tom Hardy is the central character - can't give up hope.

Live sport, any live sport!  I'd even watch tennis - how can singles tennis behind closed doors offend the social distancing rules?  I'm sure Hawkeye could replace all the line judges and the players could get the balls themselves.

Absolutely with you.  I can;t be doing with these series that go on forever.  How much of my life do I want to give to one programme?  

The vaccine being developed in Oxford is already in production by AstraZeneca. They are taking a big risk that that the test will be successful. If they are, then the vaccine can be ready to be rolled out between September and December. Fingers and toes crossed here.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

The vaccine being developed in Oxford is already in production by AstraZeneca. They are taking a big risk that that the test will be successful. If they are, then the vaccine can be ready to be rolled out between September and December. Fingers and toes crossed here.

Even if it is ready that early it'll be yonks before us plebs have access.

Think another 12 months is a more realistic target.

Hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

Don't think it's in production is it? An agreement is in place should the current testing succed, but as BLH says, going to be a while yet.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

Taken from Reuters today.

"Astra Zeneca the Cambridge-based company did not give details on when it will start producing the vaccine for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, which has so far infected over 3 million people and killed more than 215,000.

The team last week dosed the first volunteers in a trial of the vaccine, with possible early readouts in May."

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Taken from Reuters today.

"Astra Zeneca the Cambridge-based company did not give details on when it will start producing the vaccine for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, which has so far infected over 3 million people and killed more than 215,000.

The team last week dosed the first volunteers in a trial of the vaccine, with possible early readouts in May."

The CEO of AstraZeneca said this morning on Sky News that the vaccine is currently in production.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scientists-will-know-by-july-if-university-of-oxfords-covid-19-vaccine-works-11981027

The UK will get it first.

Also a small lab with two scientists, has developed an antibody test that works. They have submitted it to the FDA for approval because they have a large US drug  company ready to produce it for them. It will then be submitted for UK and European approval.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Even if it is ready that early it'll be yonks before us plebs have access.

Think another 12 months is a more realistic target.

Hope I'm wrong.

If being in the 'Very High Risk' group is to have the slightest shadow of a silver lining, it will be that a vaccine, once it's approved, will be offered pretty quickly...so I am told by my doctor.

19 hours ago, Wardie said:

If being in the 'Very High Risk' group is to have the slightest shadow of a silver lining, it will be that a vaccine, once it's approved, will be offered pretty quickly...so I am told by my doctor.

Yes. If this vaccine proves to be successful (they must be pretty confident by spending a fortune producing it) and it's already in production, rhere should be plenty available as the UK get's priority. The NHS staff, patients, carers, and the 'at risk group' will be first to receive it I guess.

Archived