Official COVID-19 megathread

I very much hope that a vaccine will work but the official line is still that there is no evidence that having covid 19 produces immunity - the glass is half empty approach.  If this is the case there will be no vaccine that works.

Myself I await the antibody test to see if I have those and look for any evidence that immunity isn't produced by having the bloody thing - my glass is half full.  The point about immunity is I think the fact that some people seem to knock this virus into the long grass so quickly that they might not have developed antibodies to do so.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hands on said:

I very much hope that a vaccine will work but the official line is still that there is no evidence that having covid 19 produces immunity - the glass is half empty approach.  If this is the case there will be no vaccine that works.

Myself I await the antibody test to see if I have those and look for any evidence that immunity isn't produced by having the bloody thing - my glass is half full.  The point about immunity is I think the fact that some people seem to knock this virus into the long grass so quickly that they might not have developed antibodies to do so.

Seen this article?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scientists-conclude-people-cannot-be-infected-twice-11981721

Even if it's correct that you can't catch it again and these certificates are introduced. What's the betting that they won't be forged and sold by criminals cashing in (lie forging passports), to people who need to go back to work.

5 hours ago, Wardie said:

The South Koreans are saying no chance of re-infection, WHO are saying there is no evidence to confirm that.
Back to square one, then or pick a side.

Possibly, but WHO has been 10 steps behind new developments on this virus all along. 

The WHO are not saying you don't get immunity they are just saying it hasn't been proved that you do.

The problem they have is that if you don't get immunity all the effort being made to produce a vaccine is wasted.  If that is the case the effort should be directed towards finding ways to help people recover more quickly from an infection.

There is the problem that this coronavirus produces so many different responses.  This ranges from some people developing no symptoms to those it kills.  Given the range of response it is possible that the virus might be killed off by some without their immune systems producing any coronavirus specific antibodies.

Finally there is the problem that this coronavirus might behave like the cold and flu coronaviruses and produce mutations so that even if we have immunity against it,  should we catch it now,  we will in due course be faced with a different enough version next year so that our 'immunity' counts for nothing.

So the WHO are right and the Koreans are right.  It is possible that a vaccine might save us but it is just as likely, in my opinion, that we will have to get used to a new world order where each year a significant additional number of older people will die as victims of this virus from Wuhan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a small update for people not up to date on the latest developments.

A cheap steroid drug (dexamethasone) which is available world wide, has been trialed and has cut death rates of people on ventilators from 40% to 28%, and for those on oxygen from 25% to 20%. if this drug had been used from the beginning in this country, there would have been 5000 fewer deaths. It would cost just £35 to save a life.

An American vaccine made by Johnson and Johnson starts trials next month, two months ahead of schedule, but won't be available until early next year if it works. The yanks will make sure they get it first.

Astra Zeneca last weekend announced that they are doubling production of the Oxford vaccine to 2bn. doses. Perhaps early trial results are looking good for them to do this.

Another vaccine from Imperial College London has started a small trial. This vaccine protects against the virus, rather than stopping people getting seriously ill from it. This vaccine  would be cheaper to make, and it would therefore be possible to give a booster every year if necessary. 

• 1 month later...

"New measures to stop the spread of Covid-19 have been introduced in Oldham following a "dramatic" rise in cases.

Residents are being asked not to have social visitors to their homes and to keep two metres apart when outside.

Anyone shielding has been asked to continue to do so until 14 August and care homes will not relax restrictions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53568956

• 2 weeks later...

This is how L1 and 2 clubs are affected. Championship clubs must be even harder hit.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/an-update-from-the-chairman/

The PL, EFL and FA need to step up to the plate, or there may be catastrophic consequences for the football pyramid, if the season has to continue without fans in stadiums. I can't see fans being allowed in from October, without a vaccine.

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

This is how L1 and 2 clubs are affected. Championship clubs must be even harder hit.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/an-update-from-the-chairman/

The PL, EFL and FA need to step up to the plate, or there may be catastrophic consequences for the football pyramid, if the season has to continue without fans in stadiums. I can't see fans being allowed in from October, without a vaccine.

this this this........this kind of statement from our owner would have been a bloody start

Boom!

Archived