Official COVID-19 megathread

6 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Is it?

Nope - that’s absolute nonsense.

Ive just come back from a stag do in Malaga. Arrived on Friday, everything normal until around 4pm Saturday when the entire city went on lockdown. Confined to our hostel from then on, with only emergency visit to the supermarket allowed, and then throughout the airport being told, not asked, to stand at least 1m apart, all food and drink outlets closed etc.

Landed back in Manchester and back to being herded like cattle, a complete polar opposite to the previous couple of days.

It all very well may be an overreaction - though I’m not convinced it is - but to say the UK are doing their bit to stop the spread is nothing but absolute nonsense.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, wiseowl said:

We don't always agree 😵 simply but think you are right here. Me too.

The only thing I`ll add to the debate is that I recall the scaremongerers telling us planes would fall out of the sky as a result of the "millennium bug" - turned out to be utter testicles.

Recently we've had the scaremongerers telling us that leaving Europe would be an unmitigated disaster - utter testicles.

And now the scaremongerers are having an absolute field day with "coronavirus" - and it will be utter testicles.

By all means, take sensible precautions in protecting the vulnerable sectors as best we can; as for the rest of the population, let it wash through relatively harmlessly; because guess what - it sure as hell will no matter what anyone says or does.

Oh - and doesn't it bring out the worst in the "me me" culture - horrible individuals clutching three months supply of toilet rolls - they make me puke - selfish bar stewards.

Wow.

If we'd prepared for CornoaVirus as well as the Millenium Bug we'd be in a lot better shape. Prevention was, and is, better than cure.

We have't left Europe yet, we're still in the transition phase so you've no idea whether it will be an unmitigated disaster. But the Govt claims of easiest deal in history, Trump backtracking on food standards and NHS and trying to buy exclusive use of vaccines  for exampledon't inspire confidence. In fact the Coronovirus will shield some of the effects of Brexit. 

The point about protecting vulnerable is you have to take stringent measures.

Agree with you about the me, me culture, but they are similar people who think they'll be OK because they are healthy, ignoring them passing it onto someone who then can't look after an elderly or immuno compromised person.

22 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Try to stop scaremongering.

UK deaths from flu in 2014/15, for example, over 28,000

Jeez if we get anywhere near that figure (we're currently at 21 I believe) you will believe that Armageddon has actually arrived. When actually, it's very normal for a virus.

Chill out man and stop stocking up on loo roll.

I don't need to look up exponential thanks. 

We've reached a hell of a stage where the media in this country had covered up tens of thousands of deaths, put practically no plan in place and people shrug their shoulders because it didn't affect them.

It says far more about our society and media that it happened unchallenged, and people are going "oh well". 
Parrotting talking points rather than applying some critical thinking is typical. 

21 hours ago, rudemedic said:

. ..Furthermore like most viruses it is unlikely to survive very long in the sort of cold temperatures the UK can get in March. 

Is the flu virus an exception to this rule or is there another reason it's more prevalent in the winter?

29 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

Is the flu virus an exception to this rule or is there another reason it's more prevalent in the winter?

People spend more time indoors in winter. The closer proximity allows for easier transference. 

At least we know what WiseOwl has been doing during his boycott. He's been studying all about viruses. Man is a wealth of knowledge. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

That link was shared by that well known retard Barrack Obama so must be a horse shit idea the way our government are going about things...

I'd go with something from a reputable source, shared by a man who will have spoken to many, many knowledgable people on the subject over Wiseowl telling us it's exaggerated bollocks

19 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

At least we know what WiseOwl has been doing during his boycott. He's been studying all about viruses. Man is a wealth of knowledge. 

That link was shared by that well known retard Barrack Obama so must be a horse shit idea the way our government are going about things...

I'd go with something from a reputable source, shared by a man who will have spoken to many, many knowledgable people on the subject over Wiseowl telling us it's exaggerated bollocks

'Well known retard", where the fuck did you find that from. 

On 3/16/2020 at 8:03 PM, mcfluff1985 said:

On 3/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, mcfluff1985 said:

Clearly taking the piss. Obama and The Washington Post or Wiseowl. Tough choice

Cheers fluffy old pal.

I fully accept I`m no medical expert at all, so I took your advice and spoke with a very senior chap (he's a professor and medical consultant) I know well who works at a regional centre for genomic medicine. We met in a bar in Alderley Edge last night (against current advice but it was his suggestion!). We weren't meeting to discuss the coronavirus but I thought I`d take the chance to pick his brains.

He put my mind at rest. He said that, for the vast majority of people, the virus will present no great issues and people will get it, mostly with mild symptoms and fully recover. This aspect was not being stressed enough, particularly by the media, who he was absolutely scathing of for creating almost mass hysteria on an unwarranted scale.

He also said there were very serious risks to vulnerable groups e.g. those with COPD, asthma and other similar underlying conditions - that is where the mortality rate will be at its highest. Other groups such as the elderly also have to be very careful.

He said, presently, the overrall worldwide mortality rate was circa 1%, making it less deadlier than other viruses we have seen over recent times. However, those in higher medical circles believe the mortality rate will turn out to be lower as they know there will literally be tens of thousands of people across the world who have already had the virus, recovered and never been tested (thus bringing the mortality % rate down).

In his opinion, if those fit and well largely got on with life as normal, whilst taking sensible hygiene precautions, then we would be okay.

His main worry was that in this age of social media and journalistic scaremongering, those people who should not be bothering the system will do - because they believe all the hype. He gave the A&E analogy - he reckons around 60% to 70% of A&E users don't need A&E but the NHS refuses to address that problem.

If the same things happen due to mass hysteria from coronavirus, then NHS simply implodes.

I`m off to get some shopping for a 90 year old neighbour (seriously - not taking the piss) - suggest if we all act sensibly and look after the vulnerable, we'll get through in good spirit as best we can. 

This is probably the wrong thread, but it sort of follows a theme.

I've not been around for  while (Mrs B in hospital etc), but the level of panic buying has been selfish in the extreme. Yes, we're facing difficult times and we all have to be sensible and take precautions. But we all need to have our shopping done somehow. So, I went and picked up our Click n Collect order at Sainsbury's yesterday.

The lad who brought the shopping out said that they were actually ordering more goods than they had at Christmas. People were simply buying anything and everything, no matter what.

Guess what our two local Sainsbury's have run out of? Vinegar! Bloody vinegar! Who the fuck stockpiles that? I saw someone else with a couple of dozen jars of pasta sauces. That is sheer madness and buying for the sake of it. It really is "bollocks to you, Jack, I'm alright. Pull up the ladder, mother, I can swim".

Yes, I'll no doubt have to follow the Government guidelines and self isolate as I'm 75 and have a very vulnerable wife back home from hospital. So my message is this: don't dismiss the warnings, accept that this is a very serous virus and isn't going to go away any time soon, look after yourself and your nearest and dearest, safely help older friends and family if possible and sod the football. Some things are more important than that.

It’s a terrible situation, my girlfriend is heavily pregnant and is self employed. If she takes the government advise and self isolates we will literally be on the verge. I’m also self employed and its having a profound impact on my stress and anxiety. I genuinely feel for people who feel in their own, literally my thoughts are with everyone affected. 

3 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

I've not been around for  while (Mrs B in hospital etc), but the level of panic buying has been selfish in the extreme. Yes, we're facing difficult times and we all have to be sensible and take precautions. But we all need to have our shopping done somehow. So, I went and picked up our Click n Collect order at Sainsbury's yesterday.

The lad who brought the shopping out said that they were actually ordering more goods than they had at Christmas. People were simply buying anything and everything, no matter what.

Guess what our two local Sainsbury's have run out of? Vinegar! Bloody vinegar! Who the fuck stockpiles that? I saw someone else with a couple of dozen jars of pasta sauces. That is sheer madness and buying for the sake of it. It really is "bollocks to you, Jack, I'm alright. Pull up the ladder, mother, I can swim".

Yes, I'll no doubt have to follow the Government guidelines and self isolate as I'm 75 and have a very vulnerable wife back home from hospital. So my message is this: don't dismiss the warnings, accept that this is a very serous virus and isn't going to go away any time soon, look after yourself and your nearest and dearest, safely help older friends and family if possible and sod the football. Some things are more important than that.

Supermarkets really have to clamp down on this. I saw a clip on the news from Paris after the announcement their today. People were literally trying to force there way into a supermarket, hundreds of them. Nothing is going to run out if people shop as normal. Nobody is going to be stopped from going to the shops. It's not just the media, it's probably what's being passed on through Facebook etc.

14 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Cheers fluffy old pal.

I fully accept I`m no medical expert at all, so I took your advice and spoke with a very senior chap (he's a professor and medical consultant) I know well who works at a regional centre for genomic medicine. We met in a bar in Alderley Edge last night (against current advice but it was his suggestion!). We weren't meeting to discuss the coronavirus but I thought I`d take the chance to pick his brains.

He put my mind at rest. He said that, for the vast majority of people, the virus will present no great issues and people will get it, mostly with mild symptoms and fully recover. This aspect was not being stressed enough, particularly by the media, who he was absolutely scathing of for creating almost mass hysteria on an unwarranted scale.

He also said there were very serious risks to vulnerable groups e.g. those with COPD, asthma and other similar underlying conditions - that is where the mortality rate will be at its highest. Other groups such as the elderly also have to be very careful.

He said, presently, the overrall worldwide mortality rate was circa 1%, making it less deadlier than other viruses we have seen over recent times. However, those in higher medical circles believe the mortality rate will turn out to be lower as they know there will literally be tens of thousands of people across the world who have already had the virus, recovered and never been tested (thus bringing the mortality % rate down).

In his opinion, if those fit and well largely got on with life as normal, whilst taking sensible hygiene precautions, then we would be okay.

His main worry was that in this age of social media and journalistic scaremongering, those people who should not be bothering the system will do - because they believe all the hype. He gave the A&E analogy - he reckons around 60% to 70% of A&E users don't need A&E but the NHS refuses to address that problem.

If the same things happen due to mass hysteria from coronavirus, then NHS simply implodes.

Me done on here now for a while, honestly. I`m off to get some shopping for a 90 year old neighbour (seriously - not taking the piss) - suggest if we all act sensibly and look after the vulnerable, we'll get through in good spirit as best we can. 

I stopped reading when I got the part of this being ANOTHER story of yours where you met a bloke in a bar who told you everything you needed to back up your opinion.

Man who appears in bar or The WHO and world renowned scientists...

I'll go with the advice from the professionals

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I stopped reading when I got the part of this being ANOTHER story of yours where you met a bloke in a bar who told you everything you needed to back up your opinion.

😂

6 hours ago, hollinwood_pass said:

I seem to be missing something here.  How does certain people - allegedly wise or otherwise - either exaggerating or underestimating the impact of C-19 contribute towards getting Maamria the sack?

Clinging on to anything. 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:33 PM, Bristolatic said:

Guess what our two local Sainsbury's have run out of? Vinegar! Bloody vinegar! Who the fuck stockpiles that?

Well vinegar is good at cleaning loads of things, maybe it's magic property of killing viruses has been disclosed on social media. (I've just checked - it is ineffective against viruses)

2 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

Well vinegar is good at cleaning loads of things, maybe it's magic property of killing viruses has been disclosed on social media. (I've just checked - it is ineffective against viruses)

Use soap, plain ordinary soap. Yet people are stockpiling antibacterial products. 

19 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Use soap, plain ordinary soap. Yet people are stockpiling antibacterial products. 

Not everyone has the access to warm water needed to use soap. 

Either that or people are stocking up in case their kids draw on them with "permanent" marker. 

Incidentally there are some downsides to using hand sanitiser as often as some appear to based on stockpiling. 

On 3/17/2020 at 12:33 PM, Bristolatic said:

Are you going shopping at the moment?..it's a dilemma for the over 70s whether to stop in or go out with the associated risks.

17 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's a real dilemma at the moment. I live in the middle of nowhere, with no near neighbours. Daughter lives three hundred miles away, and son in Oz. Nearest shop / supermarket is six miles away and earliest delivery date l can get from any supermarket is three weeks ! I have no choice, despite being seventy three and having a compromised   immune system,  tomorrow l am going to have to go to the shops.

4 minutes ago, parigby said:

It's a real dilemma at the moment. I live in the middle of nowhere, with no near neighbours. Daughter lives three hundred miles away, and son in Oz. Nearest shop / supermarket is six miles away and earliest delivery date l can get from any supermarket is three weeks ! I have no choice, despite being seventy three and having a compromised   immune system,  tomorrow l am going to have to go to the shops.

Don't go licking any trollies or babies and dont wipe your eyes with a bat and you should be ok. Good Luck. 🍀.

55 minutes ago, parigby said:

No facebook groups for your local community? Whereabouts do you live?

Archived