Official COVID-19 megathread

13 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Just to add a little bit of balance. Out of the known/tested coronavirus cases worldwide, 39% of people (circa 86,000) have already fully recovered with no ill effects. Another 54% (circa 120,000) have mild symptoms and are well on the way to recovery. Those percentages added together gives 93%.

It's not something highlighted by the media very often.

You know 7% isn’t a great figure don’t you? That’s 1 in 14 that haven’t recovered. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to put a real life scenario forward.I have self isolated since Tuesday when I had a dry intermittent cough (Not one where I was coughing my guts up).Wednesday got a few aches and mild headache and last night got feverish and had a temperature over 38. My symptoms are pretty close to those described for CV.My wife is exactly the same about a day behind. I know other people that have or have had the same.

Today totally devoid of energy. It is a bit like a mild flu if there is such a thing. In normal times I would have worked through it in the main, perhaps not today.

I am in my 60s with no major underlying health issues.

My situation as with others is not reported to the health authorities. The stats for the uk on Wednesday showed 66new cases and 65 recovered which is bollocks. It will only be when people like me get a test to see if we have had CV that a true picture will emerge.

Until then keep safe and if you get a cough no matter how mild self isolate to protect the old and vulnerable.

10 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

You know 7% isn’t a great figure don’t you? That’s 1 in 14 that haven’t recovered. 

jorvik I do - of the 7%, the majority are also in recovery but their symptoms are classed as severe rather than "mild" (i.e. it's not per se a 7% death rate).

The only source of information I use is the WHO site - which is superbly up to date and informative. I recommend it to everyone.

Please understand, I am not minimalising the effect on the vulnerable and elderly (I`m currently helping out with shopping runs for an elderly complex). I just don't understand the horrible reaction from the majority of healthy people. I also don't understand "don't go in pubs" but effectively "you're alright packed like a sardine in a supermarket trying to get a tin of cat food whilst the arrogant, selfish fuckers all around you have their trolleys piled high with loo roll and beer"

4 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

Just to put a real life scenario forward.I have self isolated since Tuesday when I had a dry intermittent cough (Not one where I was coughing my guts up).Wednesday got a few aches and mild headache and last night got feverish and had a temperature over 38. My symptoms are pretty close to those described for CV.My wife is exactly the same about a day behind. I know other people that have or have had the same.

Today totally devoid of energy. It is a bit like a mild flu if there is such a thing. In normal times I would have worked through it in the main, perhaps not today.

I am in my 60s with no major underlying health issues.

My situation as with others is not reported to the health authorities. The stats for the uk on Wednesday showed 66new cases and 65 recovered which is bollocks. It will only be when people like me get a test to see if we have had CV that a true picture will emerge.

Until then keep safe and if you get a cough no matter how mild self isolate to protect the old and vulnerable.

Stay safe and well. Hope you and your wife are soon fully recovered.

4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Have you got a link to this?

Unfortunately not, it was on the TV yesterday. I should have said 40% of those who catch it.

My son's best mate who is 27, works in a ski resort in Northern Italy. He has a heart condition (I don't know much about it) and ended up in hospital for 24 hours with the virus. They then sent him home to recover and to stay isolated for 14 days.

29 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Unfortunately not, it was on the TV yesterday. I should have said 40% of those who catch it.

My son's best mate who is 27, works in a ski resort in Northern Italy. He has a heart condition (I don't know much about it) and ended up in hospital for 24 hours with the virus. They then sent him home to recover and to stay isolated for 14 days.

Pretty crucial difference...

Hope your son's mate recovers well.  

7 hours ago, wiseowl said:

jorvik I do - of the 7%, the majority are also in recovery but their symptoms are classed as severe rather than "mild" (i.e. it's not per se a 7% death rate).

The only source of information I use is the WHO site - which is superbly up to date and informative. I recommend it to everyone.

Please understand, I am not minimalising the effect on the vulnerable and elderly (I`m currently helping out with shopping runs for an elderly complex). I just don't understand the horrible reaction from the majority of healthy people. I also don't understand "don't go in pubs" but effectively "you're alright packed like a sardine in a supermarket trying to get a tin of cat food whilst the arrogant, selfish fuckers all around you have their trolleys piled high with loo roll and beer"

Won't be any pubs open for a long time now.

7 hours ago, wiseowl said:

How much more contagious is coronavirus than normal flu? I'll wait while you nip down to the pub before they shut.

That's you no longer ITK after they shut tonight

8 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's ok to go into a crowded supermarket.

Social distancing...the 2 metre guideline...is nigh on impossible in any social space but I would say food is more important than alcohol. Doesn't matter anyway as the social spaces are effectively being closed down on 'advice' from the government which will probably become enforced if the ignoramuses in London continue on their merry way. This confinement will be brought under control, one way or another.

We are all vulnerable, it's just that some are more vulnerable than others.
Anybody who thinks they can't catch the virus are demented.

The whole situation is bringing vast and unprecedented changes in government and society. I am not even sure that when we do eventually come through this, and hopefully I am here to see it, I don't think things will ever be the same again.

11 minutes ago, Wardie said:

l. Doesn't matter anyway as the social spaces are effectively being closed down on 'advice' from the government which will probably become enforced if the ignoramuses in London continue on their merry way. 

Ignoramuses are exclusive to London??

As usual there is a lot of crap floating about.

Although this virus is not as bad as many of the statistics suggest it isn't that good for the over 70 and at risk groups.  The problem is a comparison between the number who sadly die and the number of confirmed cases which paints a dismal picture.  The reality is that the number catching the virus is at least ten times the number of confirmed cases so the stats overstate the downside.  There are 14 in my family - self, wife, 3 children and their spouses plus 6 grandchildren - at this moment 6 (six) have the symptoms that require you to stay at home for 14 days but none have been tested even though one is a key worker in the NHS.

Our government wants us all to do as we are told and we should because if we don't literally thousands of people will die when that could have been avoided - a guilt trip for everyone.  It is a simple reality that even our NHS, as excellent as my experience of it is apart from GP appointments, can not cope with the number that will need intervention if we just let it rip.  If the serious cases get treatment 5 in 6 can be saved.  This is all about saving those 5.  Do we let it rip and save our economy or do we save the 5 and let our people suffer the consequences of what this will do to the economy even though the poor and disadvantaged will then suffer the most.  No Government can take the second option because now is what matters but they rely on us to do what we have been told - distance yourself.

Having decided not to be influenced by the supermarket panic I turned up at Sainsbury's at my usual after dinner time.  It takes real strength of character, I failed, not to be influenced by shelves that were two thirds empty so I bought some things I didn't need to.  Pity on me because had I gone to the M&S next door I wouldn't have.  Some shortages in the fresh fruit and again no tomatoes but otherwise quieter than normal and everything you could need.  Why tomatoes?

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Ignoramuses are exclusive to London??

No, but I was watching the news at the time and the amount of people out and about in London, specifically the goons behind the news correspondent who though it was funny and probably that they were invincible. One middle aged couple told the newscaster they had decided to see London "while it was quiet". 

Not exclusive to London but, as ever. London thinks it is so important.
It's time for them to apply to the old idiom and step up to the plate. 

10 hours ago, Hands on said:

As usual there is a lot of crap floating about.

Although this virus is not as bad as many of the statistics suggest it isn't that good for the over 70 and at risk groups.  The problem is a comparison between the number who sadly die and the number of confirmed cases which paints a dismal picture.  The reality is that the number catching the virus is at least ten times the number of confirmed cases so the stats overstate the downside.  There are 14 in my family - self, wife, 3 children and their spouses plus 6 grandchildren - at this moment 6 (six) have the symptoms that require you to stay at home for 14 days but none have been tested even though one is a key worker in the NHS.

Our government wants us all to do as we are told and we should because if we don't literally thousands of people will die when that could have been avoided - a guilt trip for everyone.  It is a simple reality that even our NHS, as excellent as my experience of it is apart from GP appointments, can not cope with the number that will need intervention if we just let it rip.  If the serious cases get treatment 5 in 6 can be saved.  This is all about saving those 5.  Do we let it rip and save our economy or do we save the 5 and let our people suffer the consequences of what this will do to the economy even though the poor and disadvantaged will then suffer the most.  No Government can take the second option because now is what matters but they rely on us to do what we have been told - distance yourself.

Having decided not to be influenced by the supermarket panic I turned up at Sainsbury's at my usual after dinner time.  It takes real strength of character, I failed, not to be influenced by shelves that were two thirds empty so I bought some things I didn't need to.  Pity on me because had I gone to the M&S next door I wouldn't have.  Some shortages in the fresh fruit and again no tomatoes but otherwise quieter than normal and everything you could need.  Why tomatoes?

Good post, Hands on.

My wife, who is a front line worker, decided that we shop as normal. I can't go as I am confined for 12 weeks. We live semi-rural and she went to the shop yesterday morning at around 09:00. The car park was rammed, which is not normal but the measures in place by the store meant there was stocked shelves. She got everything we needed. Not to say we haven't made provisions as we have bought extra tinned and sanitary products just in case we both have to isolate at some point, enough to keep us going for a week.

We have an M&S at the next town, some 22 miles away. Apparently the store is not experiencing any panic buying and has plenty of stock. We are quite lucky that we are surrounded by farms and the local butchers and grocers are good for every day, providing it can be done keeping social distance. They are limiting to two customers at a time in the shops, as are the chemists, post office and such. 

On 3/19/2020 at 1:25 PM, wiseowl said:

Hi rude - I deliberately chose 2014/15 because, as you say, it was a particularly bad year for flu deaths. Over 28,000 dead in the UK and yet nobody really heard anything about it and there was certainly no panic!

In light of the facts as they stand, my brain simply cannot understand the current hysteria, doom, gloom and despondency. Normally, every day, around 1500 to 1600 people die in this country. So far, I think we've had 108 deaths from coronavirus. We've all heard from serious political and medical commentators that they hope to contain the death toll at around 20,000 here (and I accept they state that will be a reduced because of the measures they are taking). So, in light of that, it means the numbers of people who die might not actually be as bad as a "bad flu year" (e.g. 14/15).

So why the completely irrational and over the top reaction from the media, huge swathes of the public etc.?

It's a serious question, I`m not having a go at anyone, I just can't fathom it (and I also appreciate all death is sad, I`m just trying to provide context regarding numbers).

I suspect the current reprehensible and completely OTT behaviour we are currently seeing from a large % of the population has its seeds in this age of social media and fake news. Too many thickos believe whatever is being tweeted, put on facebook or whatever, no matter how outlandish. In a cafe in Milnrow yesterday (not a pub mcfluff) I heard someone saying that "they are dropping like flies in London" and someone else said "if you can hold your breath for 10 seconds and not have any stabbing pains in your chest, you've not got coronavirus". They looked at me quite strange when I started laughing to myself and then challenged them politely on the bollocks they were spouting.

At last someone talking common sense, you live up to your username Wiseowl !

People need to think about the context when giving figures, as you say 20,000 deaths is not something to frighten us it is somewhat of an improvement on usual annual totals. It will be interesting to see how many people die in UK in March 2020 as opposed to March 2019, I suspect it will not be significantly more?

The media is sensationalising this, I don't remember panic buying because of the flu !!

20 minutes ago, petera1 said:

At last someone talking common sense, you live up to your username Wiseowl !

People need to think about the context when giving figures, as you say 20,000 deaths is not something to frighten us it is somewhat of an improvement on usual annual totals. It will be interesting to see how many people die in UK in March 2020 as opposed to March 2019, I suspect it will not be significantly more?

The media is sensationalising this, I don't remember panic buying because of the flu !!

Ah, another idiot.

This isn't a replacement for flu, it is in addition to and it also spreads far more easily.

15 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ah, another idiot.

This isn't a replacement for flu, it is in addition to and it also spreads far more easily.

I do appreciate that, the point I was trying to make is not to take the figure in isolation!

Cornonvirus is saving the planet. l like it. Massive capitalism is pissing me off abit in the supermarkets and obvs no Football, but hopefully we can save the planet and permanently change our cancerous ways. Hopefully reduce the population by about half, that would be great too.

14 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Cornonvirus is saving the planet. l like it. Massive capitalism is pissing me off abit in the supermarkets and obvs no Football, but hopefully we can save the planet and permanently change our cancerous ways. Hopefully reduce the population by about half, that would be great too.

I take it your tongue is firmly in your cheek but some people, especially the more vulnerable ones, will rightly take exception to your crass remarks !

51 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So I know this has pretty much become a coronavirus thread, which is totally understandable in the circumstances.

But at what point does Dino become the longest serving manager of the Lemsagam era?

4th June

Archived