The OWTB food thread

Following on from the hijacked COVID thread (that was the hijacked Dino thread), feel free to post recipes, weird food likes and all shit like that in here. Then a load of Latics fans can say how wrong you are :grin: 

Apologies mods, I've posted in the Latics forum. It'l just get lost in the general forum :lol: Feel free to move it.

15 minutes ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Try cheese dip.

Cover thin slices of cheddar with milk in a frying pan and heat gently until the cheese has melted. Delicious mopped up with buttered, white bread.

Nice. Used to have this as a kid.

At the start if a week I always make up a huge bowl of salad which lasts for lunches around 3-4 days. A little game changer for me is raw mushrooms (sliced as thin as possible) and de-seeding the cucumber. Seems to keep it moisture free and fresh for a bit longer. And fresh herbs like dill or mint in there puts it in the GOAT category.

And marinade a soft-ish boiled and shelled egg (6 mins exactly) in light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and a touch of water too. Another level. 

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

When you've made a casserole (slow cooker job) and dumplings (Herbs de Provence added to the dumpling mix for better taste), try a dumpling from the casserole with golden syrup. 

Reminds me when my Grandma made pea soup with dumplings then fished them out sprinkled them with sugar and called them your sweet !!

At the request of @oafcmetty, here's the Mongolian beef recipe mentioned a while back.

8OAlmBT.jpg?2

I've managed to chop the bottom couple of lines off, so end with serving with Jasmine rice, garnished with the remainder of the spring onions and sliced red and green chillies. Wash it down with a glass or three of Tsingtao lager.

31 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

At the start if a week I always make up a huge bowl of salad which lasts for lunches around 3-4 days. A little game changer for me is raw mushrooms (sliced as thin as possible) and de-seeding the cucumber. Seems to keep it moisture free and fresh for a bit longer. And fresh herbs like dill or mint in there puts it in the GOAT category.

And marinade a soft-ish boiled and shelled egg (6 mins exactly) in light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and a touch of water too. Another level. 

Mushrooms are much better if you tear them up with your hands rather than use a knife. Unleash your inner caveman.

34 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

My favourite thing to eat EVER is Thai beef salad. Mint, coriander, red onion, chili, few peanuts/cashews. Rare beef and a dressing with lime, fish sauce and palm sugar. Topped with ground roasted rice.

If you like sweet 'n' sour chicken/pork/lamb, here's a very quick and simple recipe for the sauce.

9 tablespoons of ketchup

3 tablespoons of malt vinegar

4 tablespoons of dark muscavado sugar

2 finely chopped garlic cloves

Just mix the whole thing up and it's ready. You can always add more ketchup or vinegar if it's too sweet or sour for your taste.

2 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Try cheese dip.

Cover thin slices of cheddar with milk in a frying pan and heat gently until the cheese has melted. Delicious mopped up with buttered, white bread.

I might try that with some home made mozzarella 

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Have any of you lot been to the supermarkets lately, there is fuck all in there, unless it's you bastards that has been stockpiling it some of these ingredients are unobtainable. 

Loads of stuff in the supermarket yesterday. Hardly anything I didn't manage to pick up.

13 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Have any of you lot been to the supermarkets lately, there is fuck all in there, unless it's you bastards that has been stockpiling it some of these ingredients are unobtainable. 

Depends where you go. Business as usual here in leafy cheshire.

27 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Loads of stuff in the supermarket yesterday. Hardly anything I didn't manage to pick up.

24 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Depends where you go. Business as usual here in leafy cheshire.

If I write a list for you could you pick me some things up, either that or just knock up the Mongolian Beef recipe as posted by Bristol, and I will call round for it. 

Well as every day is like an Easter Sunday, here we go. We were once in a Safeway in Napa Valley and asked for a pasta dish to take away, and were offered a serving the size of a suitcase. We now do our own which is cold pasta mixed with diced chicken and sweetcorn and covered with either a Caesar or garlic and herb sauce.

Then there's a salad that we do which is a full salad in a bowl with a quartered egg, chicken or salmon and covered in Thousand Island Dressing.

A side dish of rice with red onion, sliced grilled pepper, tinned garden peas and sweetcorn is also very nice.

Sue's cooking Cajun this weekend, Jambalaya and a Gumbo cooked with okra which is hard to find, we found a single shop in Plymouth that sells it fresh.

Never been fussed to try bat though.

51 minutes ago, TamarBridgeLatic said:

Well as every day is like an Easter Sunday, here we go. We were once in a Safeway in Napa Valley and asked for a pasta dish to take away, and were offered a serving the size of a suitcase. We now do our own which is cold pasta mixed with diced chicken and sweetcorn and covered with either a Caesar or garlic and herb sauce.

Then there's a salad that we do which is a full salad in a bowl with a quartered egg, chicken or salmon and covered in Thousand Island Dressing.

A side dish of rice with red onion, sliced grilled pepper, tinned garden peas and sweetcorn is also very nice.

Sue's cooking Cajun this weekend, Jambalaya and a Gumbo cooked with okra which is hard to find, we found a single shop in Plymouth that sells it fresh.

Bat is in plentiful supply, it's seasonal though, not to be eaten November December time. 

Poor humour I know but it's hard being stuck indoors. 

1 hour ago, TamarBridgeLatic said:

Tinned peas??????????

my comfort food is smash and baked beans....all mixed in with some cheese....I know weird but I love it...

Can't beat fried egg and chips too hmmmm

Yesterday I had my mum's recipe of tatty ash......delish

24 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Bat is in plentiful supply, it's seasonal though, not to be eaten November December time. 

Poor humour I know but it's hard being stuck indoors. 

Tastes a lot like mouse. 

Archived