Stoke fan here in peace...

Hello folks – Stoke fan here in peace. 

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more. 

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.”  For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal: 

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal? 

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving? 

4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? 

5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? 

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.  

The more unusual/ funny/ original the better!

If you can be arsed, thanks for your time.  

Take care of yourselves, 

Lee Hawthorne @ORFYDUCKMAG 

1, 3 and 4.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/petrol-bombs-in-race-clash-5364858.html

A particularly shitty episode in the history of a club with a particularly shitty history. 

I don't remember any apology from the club at any time.

In fact, they tried to kick it all off again the following year.

A club mainly known for a minority of "fans" rather than anything on the pitch. 

Oh and Toddy Örlygsson.  He was decent. 

1 hour ago, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more. 

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.”  For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal: 

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal? 

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?  

4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? 

5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? 

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.  

Take care of yourselves, 

Good Evening Lee,

I'll happily give my thoughts on Stoke City and memories that I have, albeit as Metty says above, we haven't played for 16 years so it might be fairly sketchy but I will give it a go. I'm only 26 so my memories are from when I was in Primary and Second education. However, I'm sure my dad @unsworth blue will be on with his memories of Stoke City.

1. I certainly don't see Stoke City as a rival. Despite only being just over an hour away geographically, there are so many teams that are around us that anything further than 25 miles away is not really considered a rival. That as well as not playing Stoke very often as previously mentioned. My personal thoughts of Stoke is that they have been and are well supported but certain season's of Pulis football lost any potential of describing Stoke as a lovely footballing side (sorry!)

2. Growing up, I used to see Stoke teams playing against Latics which included the grey hair of Graham Kavanagh in midfield with Peter Thorne up front and latterly Chris Iwelumo (don't ask Latics fans what their opinions are of him, I'd guess it's not great amongst the majority from his spell here). Stoke when I were young, always seemed to be up near the top of Division Two (League One now)

3. The games that stick in my mind when growing up, against  Stoke City was a Tuesday night game in 1998/99 (my first season I can remember) and needing 6 points in the last week of the season, firstly against yourselves, then against Reading. We managed to beat Stoke 1-0 and Reading 2-0 to secure survival in League One. The other game that sticks in my mind was Stoke winning 2-1 at Boundary Park back in May 2001. That sticks in my mind purely due to the Oldham riots in which Stoke City fans were involved both before and after the match. 

4. I always found the Britannia Stadium quite loud and as such the following support being loud too, especially at the start of the "delilah" song. I have always found that Stoke have travelled in decent numbers however that being said, they have mostly been doing pretty well when playing at Boundary Park.

5. I'm not old enough to have visited previous home grounds of Stoke but the Britannia is nicely built albeit bloody freezing when the corners were open. That said, playing at Port Vale year in year out, it always seems cold there so maybe that part of the country. However, sounds pretty rich when Boundary Park is exceptionally cold during the winter months and at times during the summer.

I hope this is an insight that may be helpful to you and best of luck in your quest. I should imagine, due to reputation and stories told to me by older Latics supporters that feedback might be mixed but all the best.

6 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Good Evening Lee,

I'll happily give my thoughts on Stoke City and memories that I have, albeit as Metty says above, we haven't played for 16 years so it might be fairly sketchy but I will give it a go. I'm only 26 so my memories are from when I was in Primary and Second education. However, I'm sure my dad @unsworth blue will be on with his memories of Stoke City.

1. I certainly don't see Stoke City as a rival. Despite only being just over an hour away geographically, there are so many teams that are around us that anything further than 25 miles away is not really considered a rival. That as well as not playing Stoke very often as previously mentioned. My personal thoughts of Stoke is that they have been and are well supported but certain season's of Pulis football lost any potential of describing Stoke as a lovely footballing side (sorry!)

2. Growing up, I used to see Stoke teams playing against Latics which included the grey hair of Graham Kavanagh in midfield with Peter Thorne up front and latterly Chris Iwelumo (don't ask Latics fans what their opinions are of him, I'd guess it's not great amongst the majority from his spell here). Stoke when I were young, always seemed to be up near the top of Division Two (League One now)

3. The games that stick in my mind when growing up, against  Stoke City was a Tuesday night game in 1998/99 (my first season I can remember) and needing 6 points in the last week of the season, firstly against yourselves, then against Reading. We managed to beat Stoke 1-0 and Reading 2-0 to secure survival in League One. The other game that sticks in my mind was Stoke winning 2-1 at Boundary Park back in May 2001. That sticks in my mind purely due to the Oldham riots in which Stoke City fans were involved both before and after the match. 

4. I always found the Britannia Stadium quite loud and as such the following support being loud too, especially at the start of the "delilah" song. I have always found that Stoke have travelled in decent numbers however that being said, they have mostly been doing pretty well when playing at Boundary Park.

5. I'm not old enough to have visited previous home grounds of Stoke but the Britannia is nicely built albeit bloody freezing when the corners were open. That said, playing at Port Vale year in year out, it always seems cold there so maybe that part of the country. However, sounds pretty rich when Boundary Park is exceptionally cold during the winter months and at times during the summer.

I hope this is an insight that may be helpful to you and best of luck in your quest. I should imagine, due to reputation and stories told to me by older Latics supporters that feedback might be mixed but all the best.

Aye. I remember it being cold. Last game I remember against them was 0-0 (I think) and theirs... Maybe New Year's day? Vaguely remember beating them at home in the league cup around a similar time. Fair to say we've had a lot more interaction with Vale (who are pricks) over the years. 

My stoke memories are going to that old ground where their fans were above you chucking shit at you all game, from paper cups (woooo) to the odd dart or lump of brick.

Once outside that ground l got random punched by a full grown man, he then punched the next bloke behind me and fully broke his face. Andy Ritchie heard about it and took him the tape of the match to watch in hospital. One of my then friends (poss Latics22 cos it's something he would 100% say) said 'awww, if you got battered you could have met Andy Ritchie'.

Them coming up here with a massive firm and going on a  massive racist rampage with our firm tagging along after being able to offer only minimal resistance. Also trying again the following year but getting wrapped up and marched to mumps.

ln my head they started the dress up for the final away match of the season, so we must have played them last match at some point?

They sold us Toddy, thumbs up.

I'd say my over riding feeling of them is the same bitter hatred l have for hudds, burnley etc. The one caused by envy. The one my lad has for bournemouth!!! 

Hi Lee.  I have a foot in both camps due to marrying a lady from Newcastle-u-Lyme in 2017. Her late husband was a season ticket holder at Stoke as is her eldest son. So I have a Stokie step son. We now live in Herefordshire but I still have my season ticket at "Latics" and travel up to Boundary Park as often as possible.

Starting at the beginning our very first football League game was v Stoke(Sept 7th 1907 at Victoria) which we won 3-1. Complete record Oldham 28 wins,Stoke 17.

Memorable games for me-:  Jan 1959 FA Cup.Stoke 5-1. We were in bottom 4 in Div 4 and you in 2nd div. I recall being very cold on an open terrace at Victoria and one of your better players Dennis Willshaw. Jan 1979 FA Cup.Stoke 0-1. A replayed game due to the original being abandoned at half time with Stoke leading 2-0. April 1988 Div 2 Oldham 5-1. We had the plastic and Tony Henry(later joined Stoke) had to put the ball on a mound of sand to take a penalty as the wind kept blowing it away. Feb 1994. FA Cup. Stoke 0-1. Replay after 0-0 at Boundary Park. On our way to Semi-Final defeat to Man U. Toddy Orlygsson playing for Stoke and later joined us.

Memorable players we signed from Stoke. John McCue(early 60s played over 500 games for Stoke) . Jimmy McIlroy(player/manager). Keith Bebbington,George Kinnell,Bill Asprey and Toddy Orlygsson.

Memorable players for Stoke. Gordon Banks,Stanley Matthews,Peter Crouch.

Good luck with your research. Dave(wee bobby).

11 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

1, 3 and 4.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/petrol-bombs-in-race-clash-5364858.html

A particularly shitty episode in the history of a club with a particularly shitty history. 

I don't remember any apology from the club at any time.

In fact, they tried to kick it all off again the following year.

A club mainly known for a minority of "fans" rather than anything on the pitch. 

Oh and Toddy Örlygsson.  He was decent. 

To be fair Stoke only contributed to an extremely tense situation at the time.

The riots were going to happen regardless.  

I remember after a home match around the similar time, some Oldham lads went to the petrol station on Rochdale Rd, filled up a petrol can and set the flats alight opposite The Trap Inn. Fire engines came but luckily nobody was injured.

Walking up Sheepfoot Lane after playing them in an FA cup tie. Their knuckle draggers coming down the road attacking Latics fans. I was with my youngest brother and his best mate (a young Mike Keegan) they were young lads and I was genuinely very worried for their safety. One nicked Mike's hat but luckily he wasn't hurt. I saw another young lad punched in the face by one of their hard men. My abiding memory is a club with a much higher cunt:decent fan ratio than most. 

3 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

To be fair Stoke only contributed to an extremely tense situation at the time.

Oh, that's fine then.

Trying to inflame a tense situation by starting another race riot and then leaving Oldhamers to deal with the consequences is shitty behaviour.

It's bad enough between fans, but dragging people in who have nothing to do with either team is not on.

17 hours ago, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

Take care of yourselves, 

1. Id say Stoke are in that big clutch of mid ranking clubs which stretches half way up the PL and runs down to the top L1 these usually average between 12-30k depending on success at the time.

You could say they have an obnoxious element to their fanbase but so do we, A very loud and boisterous away following again so do we. I suppose you could say Stoke as a city suffers the same types of socio economic problems Oldham has. Certainly not a rival just another club really.

2. I remember Mike Sheron having a couple of good games against us and Graham Kavanagh was usually good against us too. I don't remember Toddy Orlycsson being a particular great footballer but he was a grafter. Can't remember too many players we've had of you apart from him.

3. The 2001 May game which started the race riots was a thoroughly depressing experience. Shame as it could have been a really good football day as you lot were gunning for promotion and brought a big following only for a few of lifes losers to ruin it.

Apart from that I remember us having quite a good record against you when we were both in L1 I remember Fitz Hall getting a late winner against you in April 2002 was a highlight. Also remember a win against you in 1996 we had to win to stay up you were going for the play offs we won 2-0. A late Paul Beavers strike in May 1999 helped us stay up then we did play you alot in April May time. I also remember a tv game circa Nov-Dec 94 at the Victoria ground a proper smash and grab for us. Paul Gerrard pulled off a string of absolute worldies for us only for Karl Muggleton to twat the ball at Sean McCarthy and for us to win 0-1.

4. Id say Stoke have one of the most vociferous away followings in all 4 divisions. From my experience of watching my team in all 4 divisions over 30 years.

5. Never been to either although this reputation of The Britannia having an intimidating atmosphere only really came about when you got to The PL and started filling the stadium. 

3 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

One of favourite Stoke matches (for comedy value). I'm sure it was live on ITV.  

https://youtu.be/Hu28EYMj5Wg

I got arrested as a 17 year old at this match for jumping the fence and celebrating on the pitch, had to get a lift back with the Oldham police match team! 
and left my flag there which I never got back!!!

48 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Oh, that's fine then.

Trying to inflame a tense situation by starting another race riot and then leaving Oldhamers to deal with the consequences is shitty behaviour.

It's bad enough between fans, but dragging people in who have nothing to do with either team is not on.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out we had a small but hardcore group who had links with Combat 18. So to expect an apology from Stoke at the same time we weren't blameless is hypocritical.   

24 minutes ago, wogghead1 said:

I got arrested as a 17 year old at this match for jumping the fence and celebrating on the pitch, had to get a lift back with the Oldham police match team! 
and left my flag there which I never got back!!!

To get over the high fence was an achievement on its own!!  

Hiya Lee. many memories of Stoke City from our meetings in the 70s through to 1994

(1) I regard Stoke City as a long standing unsuccessful club (formed in 1863 I think and didn't win anything of note until 1972) with a traditional support within North Staffordshire. Never found Stoke a very welcoming place as an away fan - not one of our favourite trips tbh.

(2) Stoke players that spring to mind - good - obviously Gordon Banks (England's finest 'keeper), Alan Hudson (great maverick footballer of the 70s), A young Garth Crooks (always good v us), Keith Bebbington (became Latics hero to those who were around in 1970/71 promotion season),  Sammy Irvine (cracking player), Peter Beagrie (had great tussles with Denis Irwin), Graham Kavanagh (looked about 50 when was 25) but great midfielder   

Bad - the unforgettable Georgie Berry (oooh Georgie Berry - predated ooooh Roger Palmer).. centre half of little quality - afro hair made him look about 7ft tall, couldn't read the game yet became Welsh international (must have had a relative who had visited Llandudno once), utterly hopeless; John Dyson (George's partner) - became manager of Stafford Rangers many years later, met him and he told me many tales of aforementioned George - how crap he was; Carl Muggleton - a complete brainfart led to a totally undeserved win when he miskicked completely leaving super Sean McCarthy an easy tap in to seal a 1-0 win

(3)  Far too many memories to record, mix of good and bad

Good - FA Cup 3rd round 1978/79 - abandoned game when Stoke leading 2-0 at half time (pitch no worse than at start IMO). Praying on the terraces that referee had abandoned the game when teams didn't return on time for 2nd half, Mike Doyle (Stoke captain) emerged and went applauding Stoke fans, our band of supporters cheering as it was announced we had got away with it!!! Police sneaking Oldham fans out across the pitch and through the Boothen End to escape the welcoming committee awaiting us outside - bear in mind we had been kept in all what would have been the second half!!!)    

Replayed game - Roger Jones (Stoke 'keeper) letting Ian Wood's weak 35 yard shot slip through this hands and give Oldham a totally undeserved 1-0 win (particularly after the abandoned game)  

FA Cup 4th Round 1993/94 - Replay - Stoke City 0 Oldham 1

The Bear's diving header settled what must have been the worst 2 performances in an attacking sense by an Oldham side in successive Cup ties. I think this was our only attempt on target in both games.  Steve Redmond had started upfront in the first match as Joe was short on strikers (not that short surely?) so picked Redders on the grounds that he had played up front at school when he was 9!!! Latics went on to defy all Stoke could throw at us (on the pitch, us the fans had plenty thrown at us off the pitch lol). and cobbled together a totally undeserved 1-0 win.

1998/99 - Oldham 1 Stoke City 0

As Unsworthlatic referred to, Latics had to win both of our final home games in the season to have a chance of staying up. Stoke arrived on a Tuesday night and made 10 changes to their side (no idea why) - Latics took advantage and won 1-0. Memorable for the result rather than anything else.  Seem to recall a loanee called Beevers scoring for us and me standing on my seat shouting Beeeeeeeveeeers …. (often stand on seats shouting beavers tbh)

Bad

1985/86 - Oldham 2 Stoke 4

What had been a decent start to the season had started to fall apart and a particularly limited Stoke side came to Oldham and panned us 4-2 - they had been 4-0 up!!! Was sat in the Main Stand Upper with my uncle for some reason and there was a particularly nasty bunch of Stokies sat near us (may have been the naughty 40???). That was when they started singing Ooohh Georgie Berry ….think he scored a penalty for them.

2001/2002 - Oldham 1 Stoke 2

Riot match, enough said. Atmosphere at the ground was truly toxic - football was very much secondary. Agree with OAFC123 - wasn't just Stoke fans

(4) Home matches for Stoke - a very intimidating atmosphere, very. very hostile in the FA cup 1978/79 first game and the 1993/94 replay.

Story about that replay - I went to the game with my cousin, best mate and a bloke who was working on the Everton FC takeover at the time. My cousin and this other fella had seats in the side stand, me and Coop went in the standing section behind the goal with seats above us filled by Stokies. I had given up smoking at the time and was addicted to bookies pencils (had lead poisoning at the end of this game), was about as calm as a Tasmanian devil and my nerves were in tatters at the end of this game. We had been speaking to a Stoke fan in the ground who bizarrely was in our end "because he liked that end"? He was ok actually although I did think he may have been a part of the old naughty 40 in his time, he having shaved head, chewed ears, and his face tattooed. Anyway Coop and me had gone from work so were dressed in suits and ties.....the stewards were preventing Latics fans from going out as there was a welcoming committee outside and the police wanted them to clear before allowing OAFC Fans out. As we were parked in a pub car park maybe a mile away and the driver was in another part of the ground, we asked if they would let us out as we may miss our lift. The stewards advised that it was in our own interests to stay in but they couldn't stop us so we chose to chance it. The 100 or so Stoke lads outside didn't have a clue what to do as 2 smartly dressed OAFC fans only emerged from our end, one laughing manically like a hyena at the fact that none of them did anything (I was always a simple fucker). We got to the car before my cousin and thought we'll go for a pint before we go home - the pub is rammed of Stoke fans but they are ok, even when they know we are Oldham - the Police want the pub locked down in case of trouble (we were the only OAFC fans in as I can recall), the landlord loses his keys (not sure how) so we are there, watching highlights of Luton beating Newcastle I think whilst my cousin and his mate are outside, we are locked in a pub.....can't beat it...…

Stoke fans at Oldham - generally quite aggressive in my experience, remember them coming on the Chaddy first time we played them in 70s, right mad fuckers, only a handful of them. Very loud support vocally 

Stoke fans when we met them last season on way to Vale Park - all remembered Oldham but for the riot - expect they wouldn't have remembered the result of the match tbh. Generally ok talking about Oldham.      

(5) Victoria Ground - very intimidating atmosphere, old style ground - was there the night Tony Waddington (ex Stoke manager) had passed away - might have been that 1994 cup tie?

Britannia Stadium - not as intimidating but generally very cold when we have played there - recall kicking off at 5pm one evening as our team coach hadn't arrived on time, must have been -2 when it kicked off, -6 when it finished? Bloody perishing - 0-0 draw   

Good luck in your research pal, got many more stories of Stoke if you want anymore

Cheers                     

My uncle took us all down in his minibus, he’s a Mann Yuu fan and we’d bought him a ticket as ‘thanks’ for taking us down. He got covered in piss and when we got back to the bus, all the windows had been bricked and the tyres slashed, couldn’t have happened to a nicer bloke. Running the gauntlet to the station afterwards was an eye opener. Great days. 

In the early 90's I was working in London, myself and a work mate decided to take in a night match instead of going straight on the piss from work. Fulham v Stoke was the choice so went in the away end with the Stoke fans, can honestly say they were fucking mad, started fighting amongst themselves at regular intervals. They were noisy as well belting out Delilah at full throttle. 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't help wondering how a song about deception, domestic abuse and murder became a club anthem.

Agree. Crap choice for a club anthem(*). The change to the wording is laughable and the song is not sung but just shouted.

*  ‘Greasy Chip Butty’ from Sheffield Utd - now there’s a proper club anthem😉

15 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree. Crap choice for a club anthem(*). The change to the wording is laughable and the song is not sung but just shouted.

*  ‘Greasy Chip Butty’ from Sheffield Utd - now there’s a proper club anthem😉

I've no idea what the changed words are

Archived