Stoke fan here in peace...

On 4/13/2020 at 9:41 AM, Magic Mikey said:

Walking up Sheepfoot Lane after playing them in an FA cup tie. Their knuckle draggers coming down the road attacking Latics fans. I was with my youngest brother and his best mate (a young Mike Keegan) they were young lads and I was genuinely very worried for their safety. One nicked Mike's hat but luckily he wasn't hurt. I saw another young lad punched in the face by one of their hard men. My abiding memory is a club with a much higher cunt:decent fan ratio than most. 

If it was 1994 they got their comeuppance at Victoria station.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, oafc 123 said:

One of favourite Stoke matches (for comedy value). I'm sure it was live on ITV.  

https://youtu.be/Hu28EYMj5Wg

I was there. It was a terrible game, but it was hilarious.

Stoke always had some of the worst fans in the country. Very nasty. However, we did have a good time with 1-2 Stokies on the ferry over to the first Isle of Man pre-season tournament (and we copied the Ooooh Georgie Berry chant).

My only other memory was when Barlow's coach broke down. I'm sure we got a lift from another passing coach and just about made the game, but my memory is fading.

51 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

From memory, the trouble in Manchester always saw Stockport, Oldham and City join up and have a bash at one clubs with a big hooligan following.

Never City.

Oldham were always known as a rent-a-mob though 

50 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Small amount (like two or sumat) from Failsworth defo guested on ocassion as they were (and still are) fwends with each other.

I recall that Derker, Failsworth and Fitton Hill joined together to form DFF - looked cool as graffiti that. Werneth Mob still had the best graffiti logo though. 😎

Evening one and all 

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my trespassing on your territory. 

It was obviously a bit of a stupid/ brave risk venturing on here  asking about your perceptions of all things Stoke City. 

I’ve seen the whole range of tones/ comments haven’t I?! 

Nothing has really surprised me in terms of positives or negatives. Given the Pulis years/ our recent political trends/ the caper of a section of our support over the years... I knew what was coming. We are divisive club in the sense that folk seem either charmed by us (plenty of begrudgingly respect) or else we are downright despised! Believe me, we are as divided in house – getting our fanbase to reach a consensus on anything from Brexit to Pulis is impossible. There are plenty of lefty football purists who buy our mag at least!

As with any city/ club though, there’s more to it than meets the eye: generalisations were always going to crop up. That's the nature of what we do isn't it?

I also expected a lot of love for our old ground compared to our new place. What I would give to go back and stand once more on that old Boothen End terrace at The Victoria Ground.

What was heartwarming was the depth of knowledge and rich memories that football fans hold onto. I love the obscure links we have between our cities/ towns/ clubs through mates/ family jobs etc. 

I sent out these 5 questions to fans of over 20 clubs. So far, it seems that fans of Wolves/ Everton/ Sunderland/ Liverpool/ West Ham/ PNE/ Oldham and Man City have responded in enough detail to warrant an individual article in the fanzine. I didn’t bother with Crewe, Vale or Arsenal for obvious reasons. One foaming Gooner did hijack the Liverpool to forum to have a pop though – him doing that made me feel like less of a sad b****** for what I was doing on there! 

Whenever matchdays return to our lives, I will get cracking on some of these, publish them and then post them onto the respective forums. 

I will have one more check in a few days in case any late contributions have surfaced. Cheers to moderators for allowing this as well. 

Whether you were dismissive/ funny/ bitter/ knowledgeable/ brutal or complimentary – thanks very much for your time. Some wonderful stories emerged out of this – it made me realise how much we all have in common (every club seems to have a similar cross-section of folk). 

Best wishes 

@ORFYDUCKMAG 

2 minutes ago, ORFYDUCKMAG said:

Evening one and all 

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my trespassing on your territory. 

It was obviously a bit of a stupid/ brave risk venturing on here  asking about your perceptions of all things Stoke City. 

I’ve seen the whole range of tones/ comments haven’t I?! 

Nothing has really surprised me in terms of positives or negatives. Given the Pulis years/ our recent political trends/ the caper of a section of our support over the years... I knew what was coming. We are divisive club in the sense that folk seem either charmed by us (plenty of begrudgingly respect) or else we are downright despised! Believe me, we are as divided in house – getting our fanbase to reach a consensus on anything from Brexit to Pulis is impossible. There are plenty of lefty football purists who buy our mag at least!

As with any city/ club though, there’s more to it than meets the eye: generalisations were always going to crop up. That's the nature of what we do isn't it?

I also expected a lot of love for our old ground compared to our new place. What I would give to go back and stand once more on that old Boothen End terrace at The Victoria Ground.

What was heartwarming was the depth of knowledge and rich memories that football fans hold onto. I love the obscure links we have between our cities/ towns/ clubs through mates/ family jobs etc. 

I sent out these 5 questions to fans of over 20 clubs. So far, it seems that fans of Wolves/ Everton/ Sunderland/ Liverpool/ West Ham/ PNE/ Oldham and Man City have responded in enough detail to warrant an individual article in the fanzine. I didn’t bother with Crewe, Vale or Arsenal for obvious reasons. One foaming Gooner did hijack the Liverpool to forum to have a pop though – him doing that made me feel like less of a sad b****** for what I was doing on there! 

Whenever matchdays return to our lives, I will get cracking on some of these, publish them and then post them onto the respective forums. 

I will have one more check in a few days in case any late contributions have surfaced. Cheers to moderators for allowing this as well. 

Whether you were dismissive/ funny/ bitter/ knowledgeable/ brutal or complimentary – thanks very much for your time. Some wonderful stories emerged out of this – it made me realise how much we all have in common (every club seems to have a similar cross-section of folk). 

Best wishes 

@ORFYDUCKMAG 

Good luck mate, I agree Stoke are one of those very divisive clubs

Be an interesting exercise seeing what fans from other clubs think about Oldham - am debating producing a fanzine (maybe a one off) and this would be an interesting article

All the best pal   

23 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Small amount (like two or sumat) from Failsworth defo guested on ocassion as they were (and still are) fwends with each other.

There were more Oldham and United connections than with City. Back in the 80's/90's we hated each other with a passion. Especially the Chadderton City lot.

Oldham used to (still do to some extent) have alliances with Hibs, Newcastle, Shrewsbury, Carlisle and Stockport. Often would have a few going along to each others big matches. It was never singled down to Oldham though. Alliences were sparked up all over the country. When we played Mansfield in the FA Cup 1st round (1997?), 20-30 Forest lads came up with them. Aberdeen have a notorious alliance with Spurs, probably an answer to the alliance created between Chelsea and Rangers. Wigan and Cardiff was another one I recall.

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

When we played Mansfield in the FA Cup 1st round (1997?), 20-30 Forest lads came up with them. 

Reminds me about the time Shrewsbury played Mansfield around 2002-2003.

Shrewsbury, Oldham & Stockport verses Mansfield & Forest. Crazy times

• 4 weeks later...

Good E'en folks.

Can I chip in?

I remember your game v. Stoke before your riots started ....

I had a good friend that lived  in the centre of Oldham and I ran him home after we had watched us play Wycombe, not sure why as he usually came on public transport or by car, but ...

We got near where he lived and we drove up a hill to some traffic lights, there was a pub in front of us called the Trapp (arms? Inn? ) He said left at the light and then a right ...

We tried to go left and nearly ran into a police officer! He ordered us to go straight on or turn right, not sure now .... But behind him there was carnage!

There are hundreds and hundreds of guys and cops slugging it out with a massive hailstorm complete with heavy lighting, there may have been a police helicopter too, not sure...

So we're stuck in traffic, football riots in progress, and we're both sat there wearing Bury FC shirts! Frightening!! 

Think it was the last day of the season? Could be wrong.

So it's right to say that Stoke fans have a reputation for trouble, though I don't remember anything at Gigg Lane to be fair?

16 hours ago, BFC1885 said:

Good E'en folks.

Can I chip in?

I remember your game v. Stoke before your riots started ....

I had a good friend that lived  in the centre of Oldham and I ran him home after we had watched us play Wycombe, not sure why as he usually came on public transport or by car, but ...

We got near where he lived and we drove up a hill to some traffic lights, there was a pub in front of us called the Trapp (arms? Inn? ) He said left at the light and then a right ...

We tried to go left and nearly ran into a police officer! He ordered us to go straight on or turn right, not sure now .... But behind him there was carnage!

There are hundreds and hundreds of guys and cops slugging it out with a massive hailstorm complete with heavy lighting, there may have been a police helicopter too, not sure...

So we're stuck in traffic, football riots in progress, and we're both sat there wearing Bury FC shirts! Frightening!! 

Think it was the last day of the season? Could be wrong.

So it's right to say that Stoke fans have a reputation for trouble, though I don't remember anything at Gigg Lane to be fair?

How are you coping with no team to watch? Have you been to any games anywhere else?

Archived