OAFC 125 year plans for celebrations

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, underdog said:

If the club survives the pandemic and we still have a team to follow, I am looking forward to the anniversary kit. Let’s hope that there’s not a collective sigh of disappointment when it is finally released in June 😮

On 5/4/2020 at 8:16 AM, TheBigDog said:

If the club survives the pandemic and we still have a team to follow, I am looking forward to the anniversary kit. Let’s hope that there’s not a collective sigh of disappointment when it is finally released in June 😮

My memory is shot and i could have imagined it, but did not Pat Cluskey about August time (before he left) do some sort of rollout and was it going to be red and white?

I could have this totally wrong mind you

7 hours ago, underdog said:

My memory is shot and i could have imagined it, but did not Pat Cluskey about August time (before he left) do some sort of rollout and was it going to be red and white?

I could have this totally wrong mind you

I don't think they would sell much in the shop if it's red and white, even if that was the colour we started up in. 

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

I don't think they would sell much in the shop if it's red and white, even if that was the colour we started up in. 

Are fans really that petty? I dont care what colour we wear. Even more so if we're  winning.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Are fans really that petty? I dont care what colour we wear. Even more so if we're  winning.

I suggest that most fans would care.   Every Latics fan alive today will only remember us playing in blue and white, so why wear a totally alien colour just because we wore it 125 years ago. 

The celebrations will be commemorating our 125 years of existence nothing else. 

9 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I suggest that most fans would care.   Every Latics fan alive today will only remember us playing in blue and white, so why wear a totally alien colour just because we wore it 125 years ago. 

There is a concept kit out on t’interweb that is red and white stripes - very Athletico Madrid in style - and its a belter.

I would definitely buy it and wear it with pride. Especially when I pop along to Lionel Road with my Brentford supporting mate. 

The blue one (on the left) is pretty cool too 😎 

I agree, the Atletico-ish kit looks good.

As a general rule I hate clubs changing kit every season just to screw money out of the fans, but I like anniversary kits. I thought the Arsenal maroon one a few years ago was pretty cool.

No problem with us playing in red and white for a season if that's how we started out. What's the problem? I don't stop supporting England when we play in red & white (ok, that's a second kit, but you get my point).

12 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Also celebrating our formation 125 years ago.  If you're going to have a special kit, don't see the problem in having the kit we had when we were formed.  Saves people quibbling over which of the many styles of blue and white kits we've had over the years is best representative of us.  

I'd be happy with that red and white kit for a season.  The early 2000 style white and blue kit on the left looks pretty good too.

Rochdale did it for their anniversary kit too, think it was a black and white one.

We could always go for the blue and red (looked purple on TV) Pony kit from the late 90s if needed...

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

Can anyone else picture a player in thier mind?that represents the shirt of each year?

oohhhh.....you know that is a fabulous idea and would open a lot of debate.

Get it stuck on the idea list to the club. Even if they did a "just for fun vote" and then get stick a photo up of the winner or create a wall/collage of them in one of the stands. Club could get some of the college kids to do it, or ask each school to create a life size cut out etc.

Cool

On 5/6/2020 at 12:23 PM, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd be happy with that red and white kit for a season.  The early 2000 style white and blue kit on the left looks pretty good too.

Rochdale did it for their anniversary kit too, think it was a black and white one.

We could always go for the blue and red (looked purple on TV) Pony kit from the late 90s if needed...

Agree about the red and white one for the anniversary, I think it makes sense to go a bit out of the ordinary for the anniversary.

But absolutely not for the red and blue hoops.  The only thing special about that shirt is that it's the most minging one we've had in 124 years!

14 hours ago, al_bro said:

50th.png.0d480e6725617541e46bc4ccc0659068.png  The 1946 kit looks like it was made to celebrate the 50th. 

I  think it would literally cause the opposition to go dizzy, especially if the players were running about.

Its hurting my eyes just looking at it

hmmm....lets get it produced..hahah

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It also looks like a rugby  🏉 kit...

"Immediately after the Second World War, Oldham turned out in red and white hooped jerseys borrowed from their neighbours, Oldham RLFC, presumably because the traditional shirts were not available."

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Oldham_Athletic/Oldham_Athletic.htm

22 hours ago, al_bro said:

I wonder why we didn't have a commemorative kit for the 100th. anniversary. It would seem more of a landmark than 50 or 125. 

I seem to remember there was just a circle of writing around the badge that year

Archived