Divisions 2 North and South

I live down in South Oxfordshire and take in most of the southern Away games (as well as a good number of home matches).

With the possible exception of Leyton Orient, Oxford and Swindon I would not miss too many of the southern away days.

I genuinely think that a regionalised approach will happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen but, for me personally, it's a non starter. I can rarely get to BP these days and away games are pretty much restricted to anything South of Birmingham. Whilst I appreciate the common sense behind it and the economic viability, it could well mean that I have seen my last Latics match, and that saddens me.

43 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Why a merger of League 2 and the National League, rather than a merger of League's 1 and 2?

Because all the other leagues below the national league are regionalized. So regionalising the national league and L2 leaving league 1 upwards as national leagues would probably make the most sense.

Im torn on this.

On the one hand financially it makes sense we cut down on travel expenses to places such as Newport, Exeter, and Plymouth. We the fans would probably also make a saving here too. We would probably also benefit from increased attendances. The likes of Stockport and Halifax will bring alot more than a number of southern based clubs this season.

On the other hand Im not sure it would be that good from a footballing perspective, losing the likes of Swindon and Plymouth to the likes of Fylde and Chorley means we will probably watch a lower standard of football overall. Plus by splitting the divisions with 4 coming down from league 1 still and 4 going up from both divisions it would likely lessen the chances of going up as it would probably mean only the champions going up automatically and position 2 to 5 fighting for the play offs.

If you put this proposition to all the clubs in the national league they would all bite your hand off. A club like Chorley could potentially be looking at next season having Oldham Bradford Bolton and Tranmere visiting them. They will feel like they have hit the jackpot.

However the clubs in L2 with ambitions of going up to league 1 will likely reject it.

At the moment 3 teams are automatically promoted and 1 from the playoff in L2 out of 24. If L2 is split, only 1 team from the North and 1 from the South could gain automatic promotion and 1 each from the playoffs. The 4 teams relegated would most likely not be 2 North and 2 South, so the 2 leagues would have to be adjusted each year, with say Walsall and Solihull constantly changing leagues. It would therefore be much more difficult to get promotion. I can't see clubs agreeing to that myself.

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Why a merger of League 2 and the National League, rather than a merger of League's 1 and 2?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It's non league with another name

A merger of League One and League Two into a North and South would make sense from both a club financial perspective and for supporters

A merger of League Two and the National Conference wouldnt do much for increasing revenues as only the top10 teams in the National Conference attract average home crowds over 2,000

From a wider footballing perspective it appears eminently sensible. 

From a Latics perspective I fear the current regime would simply see an opportunity to cut their cloth with surviving relegation to the Conference North considered to be an achievement.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

At the moment 3 teams are automatically promoted and 1 from the playoff in L2 out of 24. If L2 is split, only 1 team from the North and 1 from the South could gain automatic promotion and 1 each from the playoffs. The 4 teams relegated would most likely not be 2 North and 2 South, so the 2 leagues would have to be adjusted each year, with say Walsall and Solihull constantly changing leagues. It would therefore be much more difficult to get promotion. I can't see clubs agreeing to that myself.

It could go a lot further than that. A few seasons back my local side 35 miles from London, were switched from Conference South to North and had away games at the likes of Workington and Blyth. Very nearly finished the club and never really recovered. 

15 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It could go a lot further than that. A few seasons back my local side 35 miles from London, were switched from Conference South to North and had away games at the likes of Workington and Blyth. Very nearly finished the club and never really recovered. 

Nothing is going to change from the traditional leagues for some time, certainly not for next season

The EFL is going to struggle sorting out how the Championship and League One are going to finish their seasons and what happens to Barrow being promoted if Stevenage are not relegated

Then there's the likely legal action from dissatisfied clubs who didn't want relegating or have missed promotion 

And being a bit selfish, we've lots of players with contracts running out next month, so on one hand we have the opportunity to unload a good few lightweights but on the other hand, how on earth are we going to attract any half decent players with all that's been going on

18 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Nothing is going to change from the traditional leagues for some time, certainly not for next season

The EFL is going to struggle sorting out how the Championship and League One are going to finish their seasons and what happens to Barrow being promoted if Stevenage are not relegated

Then there's the likely legal action from dissatisfied clubs who didn't want relegating or have missed promotion 

And being a bit selfish, we've lots of players with contracts running out next month, so on one hand we have the opportunity to unload a good few lightweights but on the other hand, how on earth are we going to attract any half decent players with all that's been going on

There are 12 L2 clubs with more players falling out of contract next month than us

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Personally happy with this, and I think it may happen sooner or later.

But can the 24th northern club be a shit southern seaside club, so we can have an away trip.

30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There are 12 L2 clubs with more players falling out of contract next month than us

just scratching my head a bit Dave with what we have at the club to attract the better players 🤔

14 minutes ago, SAV said:

Personally happy with this, and I think it may happen sooner or later.

But can the 24th northern club be a shit southern seaside club, so we can have an away trip.

Sav, how can you be happy playing in a league crammed with non league clubs ?

48 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Sav, how can you be happy playing in a league crammed with non league clubs ?

The way we are going it will be the norm anyway 

There was also talk from one of the journalists on the Sunday Supplement on Sky that a few of the Championship clubs want a bail out from the Premier League, and one suggestion was a 2nd Premier League - similar to Bundesliga 2 in Germany!

Any increased revenue would just be spent/wasted in the same way it is now. So I can’t see there being any financial benefit. 

And has been pointed out already, is as good as non league. 

Archived