Potential new owners?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, underdog said:

If this happens and hypothetically, we are one of these clubs.

What would make latics an attractive buy?

If it turns out to be the case then I think it's inconceivable that we wouldn't be one of those clubs and in all honesty I can't think of any features which we currently have which would make us attractive.  These would be the boxes that I would want to tick as a potential buyer:

1. Recent stability

2. Well maintained stadium

3. Decent stream of non-football income

4. Big fan base

5. Significant potential to build local fan base

6.  Big history

7. Assets on the playing staff

8.  Solid and experienced club management

9. Productive academy

10. Good training facilities

We tick none

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

If it turns out to be the case then I think it's inconceivable that we wouldn't be one of those clubs and in all honesty I can't think of any features which we currently have which would make us attractive.  These would be the boxes that I would want to tick as a potential buyer:

1. Recent stability

4. Big fan base

6.  Big history

9. Productive academy

We tick none

Thanks.

I suppose if we were "hypothetically", to cease. Would there be enough fan appetite for a fan owned community club at BP?

Subject to the landlord agreeing that is.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

1. Recent stability

4. Big fan base

6.  Big history

9. Productive academy

We tick none

All valid considerations Dave but you have missed the most important criteria and Latics do tick that box as AL holds a golden share to allow the Club to compete in the football league.

3 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

All valid considerations Dave but you have missed the most important criteria and Latics do tick that box as AL holds a golden share to allow the Club to compete in the football league.

True, late entrant at No. 11 although not such a scarce commodity of the Huddersfield Chairman;s prediction comes to pass.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

1. Recent stability

4. Big fan base

6.  Big history

9. Productive academy

We tick none

Seems like we would make an excellent project for new owner/s wanting to show what they can do.

4 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

Seems like we would make an excellent project for new owner/s wanting to show what they can do.

Only if Blitz sells the OEC at the same time. Better still if he is willing to sell Brass Bank.

Another problem. If as the Huddersfield chairman says 50 or 60 clubs (I doubt there are that many) could go into admin. There won't be 50 or 60 potential buyers, particularly now that a lot of them have probably lost a lot of their investments recently.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

Only if Blitz sells the OEC at the same time. Better still if he is willing to sell Brass Bank.

Another problem. If as the Huddersfield chairman says 50 or 60 clubs (I doubt there are that many) could go into admin. There won't be 50 or 60 potential buyers, particularly now that a lot of them have probably lost a lot of their investments recently.

The paucity of club owners illustrated by the two in this thread. One the supporters hated and tried for years to oust him and the other, well, you wouldn't buy a used car off him.

Out of interest why given that he is in football (Huddersfield & Southport) and running a club do think the number he gave is too high?

I think 50-60 clubs is an absolute worst case scenario and many that go into Administration will survive it. 

Thats not to say that many clubs don't face the threat of extinction and Id imagine our club is one of the most vulnerable in the football league.

21 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

The paucity of club owners illustrated by the two in this thread. One the supporters hated and tried for years to oust him and the other, well, you wouldn't buy a used car off him.

Out of interest why given that he is in football (Huddersfield & Southport) and running a club do think the number he gave is too high?

I just think it's a number he's pulled out of the air. He doesn't know the finances of all clubs. We all expect Latics to be vulnerable as Glossop says, but we may be surprised and AL will unfortunately still be here. Maybe it would be better if he is still here as much as we all hope he isn't. Otherwise we may well be extinct.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

I just think it's a number he's pulled out of the air. He doesn't know the finances of all clubs. We all expect Latics to be vulnerable as Glossop says, but we may be surprised and AL will unfortunately still be here. Maybe it would be better if he is still here as much as we all hope he isn't. Otherwise we may well be extinct.

Well that's covered just about every scenario.

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The American owner of Barnsley currently on business TV now talking pretty openly about B teams

B Teams NO - But Feeder clubs on the other hand...🤔 perhaps that’s the direction that we will have to go. 

Now there’s a discussion.

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

B Teams NO - But Feeder clubs on the other hand...🤔 perhaps that’s the direction that we will have to go. 

Now there’s a discussion.

It's a fine line.  Barnsley have taken the route of acquiring control of a Belgian team

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a fine line.  Barnsley have taken the route of acquiring control of a Belgian team

A fine line definitely. I was thinking more along the lines of establishing a partnership with one of the large clubs - say Man City - which allows us to take a number of players from them so that they gain competitive experience. Essentially we would become a ‘feeder’ team for them whilst getting the benefit of having some decent players at the club.

They could also do us a good deal on leasing Carrington too 😉

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

A fine line definitely. I was thinking more along the lines of establishing a partnership with one of the large clubs - say Man City - which allows us to take a number of players from them so that they gain competitive experience. Essentially we would become a ‘feeder’ team for them whilst getting the benefit of having some decent players at the club.

I was thinking this too, even Covid had not hit, partnering up would help most lower league clubs

2 hours ago, underdog said:

I was thinking this too, even Covid had not hit, partnering up would help most lower league clubs

I don't think tying to a specific club would help. The current loan system works well by giving the club a much larger choice of players. However the greedy league should not be allowed to force clubs to play their kids, or demand any kind of payment towards their wages. That would level the playing field out a bit.

22 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I'd rather we played on fields.

22 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Weren't there talk of us becoming a feeder club for City the other year?

If there was, we probably fucked them off after they gave us Ellis Plumber.

Archived