I love the complexity they bring to what always has been, and always will be, a simple game

When I played for my pub team (we were actually quite good) as an attacking full back, we had two regular strikers who mostly rotated based on work shifts or severity of Friday night hangover! One of them was small but very fast and chased everything... when he was playing I'd knock long balls over the top for him to chase... The other was slow but brilliant at holding the ball up and bringing others into play... so we'd just play it to up to his feet or chest

All of this took about ten minutes to figure out the first time we played together

It also turned that if you have better players then you won more matches 🙂

46 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Tom Hamer known for his long throw ins which achieve nothing. Led to two goals I think and he must do 5 a game. 

It could be a useful tool if not used to the exclusion of all other variations.

One problem arises when Tom has to jog (walk) from his defensive position to the left wing corner area and in the extremely likely event of us not scoring couldn't possibly be further out of position. Not to mention the timewasting element which results in our matches finishing several minutes after most others. 

I don't mind him taking those on his side of the pitch but the trek to the left wing is ridiculous.     

17 hours ago, al_bro said:

I was surprised that he achieved 70% passing accuracy. 

Me too.

As I said, if a hoof lands on a Latics head and bounces out of play or to the opposition, it's "accurate"

I'd like to see the stats on accuracy for the shorter passes and those around the box.

22 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It could be a useful tool if not used to the exclusion of all other variations.

One problem arises when Tom has to jog (walk) from his defensive position to the left wing corner area and in the extremely likely event of us not scoring couldn't possibly be further out of position. Not to mention the timewasting element which results in our matches finishing several minutes after most others. 

I don't mind him taking those on his side of the pitch but the trek to the left wing is ridiculous.     

Rory Delap proves if the long throw is used properly it can work if managed and trained properly. Equally you have to have players who win a high % of their 50/50’s

Archived