3 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

RIP

Him and Shaw up front when I started going - what a pairing.

Same here Wozzer 

Devastating news, RIP Big Jim Fryatt - thanks for all your service to OAFC and for the enjoyment you provided for many  

Sad news, he was a early hero of mine, Groves took that mantle but Jim was a joy to watch, now that's how you head a ball, although there was more to his game than that. RIP big fellow I know my dad will be up there waiting to shake your hand. Also 1 goal every 2 games how we wish we could find a striker like that. 

RIP Jim. Sincere condolences to family and friends. A real "old fashioned centre forward", incredible with his head but, by, God, he could hit a ball too. I'd left Oldham by the time he signed, but I was always excited going back to BP just to watch Big Jim.

7 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

47 league goals him Fryatt and Shaw got in the Div 4 promotion / Ford sporting league season. They basically built the old Ford / Lookers stand. 

I met David Shaw a few years ago. Said he'd never really liked football and much preferred rugby league! His second debut for us was one of my favourite footballing memories with his return being a secret until he stepped on the pitch. Imagine pulling that off now. 

Surely the best out and out centre forward we have had in my 60 years of watching. Superb in the air - the phrase floats like a butterfly stings like a bee was appropriate for him, he seemed to hang before his neck flexed and unleashed massive power in sending the ball goalwards. 

He created space for others with his strength , David Shaw prospered so much because of Fryatt’s presence. 
He also had a charisma that added to his presence. Pancho sideburns,  great bald forehead , the tangerine shirt ...all contributed to his presence and representation of the  era. 
RIP Jim Fryatt - the King 

RIP Big Jim

One of my early favourites. I think Jim Williams of the Chron wrote a fantastic piece about him scoring a goal once, I can’t bring it to mind now, maybe Diego can jog my memory.

That was a great team with big Jim leading the line magnificently. RIP big Jim. 

We won the Ford Sporting League every month, collecting £2500 each time and £50000 for winning it. A total of £70000, which built the stand.  

2 hours ago, drw1909 said:

RIP Big Jim

One of my early favourites. I think Jim Williams of the Chron wrote a fantastic piece about him scoring a goal once, I can’t bring it to mind now, maybe Diego can jog my memory.

I recall a great Jim Williams piece written as a tribute to Fryatt when he left for Southport. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

That was a great team with big Jim leading the line magnificently. RIP big Jim. 

We won the Ford Sporting League every month, collecting £2500 each time and £50000 for winning it. A total of £70000, which built the stand.  

Didn't think we won it every month, just that we led it every month thus picking up each monthly prize as well as the final one.

Seem to remember Ford saying they should have treated each month as a separate entity to share the money out more equitably........but I may be wrong.

What is indisputable is that Big Jim and Shawy formed a perfect combination and provided great entertainment and excitement for us lucky enough to watch Latics at that time.

21 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

RIP

Him and Shaw up front when I started going - what a pairing.

21 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Same here Wozzer 

Devastating news, RIP Big Jim Fryatt - thanks for all your service to OAFC and for the enjoyment you provided for many  

Same here. My first season was the 1970/71 Division 4 promotion season.

RIP Big Jim.

1 minute ago, LaticMark said:

Same here. My first season was the 1970/71 Division 4 promotion season.

RIP Big Jim.

I was there before but it's the first season I really remember 

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Didn't think we won it every month, just that we led it every month thus picking up each monthly prize as well as the final one.

Seem to remember Ford saying they should have treated each month as a separate entity to share the money out more equitably........but I may be wrong.

What is indisputable is that Big Jim and Shawy formed a perfect combination and provided great entertainment and excitement for us lucky enough to watch Latics at that time.

Latics did actually win it every single month Bob, quite ridiculous really but we did. 

Points were awarded for goals scored and there were deductions for bookings/ dismissals - we only had one booking all season (Arthur Thomson)  

8 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Latics did actually win it every single month Bob, quite ridiculous really but we did. 

Points were awarded for goals scored and there were deductions for bookings/ dismissals - we only had one booking all season (Arthur Thomson)  

Great knowledge Phil, I started going the season before but I don't remember Arthur Thomson, halcyon days. 

11 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

It was a very explicit plan by Jimmy Frizz. Can't say Arthur rings any bells at all. 

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I was there before but it's the first season I really remember 

Big Jim scored the only goal in my first ever Latics match v Chesterfield in 1969-70 season RIP Jim

Archived