3 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Latics did actually win it every single month Bob, quite ridiculous really but we did. 

Points were awarded for goals scored and there were deductions for bookings/ dismissals - we only had one booking all season (Arthur 

We were on top every month!!!! 

It was a running score based on something like 5pts per goal plus a win bonus and points deducted for bookings etc.

The team leading the table each month won £2500 and Latics had a great start to the season , they were so far in front after 3 months even a poor month meant Latics were still on top.

In fact it was Manure Utd that complained moaning that as we had such a big lead it was unfair to the rest and it should be reset each month.  Thankfully they didn't agree and the rest is history.

RIP Jim - think he left just before I started going to games but I know he was my Dads favourite ever Latics player along with David Shaw. Whenever we signed a new centre forward it was always "but hes not as good in the air as Fryatt"  

Wasnt there some grafitti on a wall near Westwood Park about Jim, it was there well into the 1990's I think.

1 hour ago, cheshireblue said:

RIP Jim - think he left just before I started going to games but I know he was my Dads favourite ever Latics player along with David Shaw. Whenever we signed a new centre forward it was always "but hes not as good in the air as Fryatt"  

Wasnt there some grafitti on a wall near Westwood Park about Jim, it was there well into the 1990's I think.

The graffiti was about Jim Bowie I think 🤔 

On 6/5/2020 at 7:35 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Was a hero of my Dads scorer of the fastest ever goal in the football I believe.

RIP King Jim

He had even better sideburns than Diego Cervero, and his fastest ever goal in a Football League game was scored for Bradford Park Avenue against Tranmere Rovers after just four seconds on 25th April 1964.

drw1909 Sorry I can't help with the Jim Williams article.

R.I.P. Big Jim.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, LaticsPete said:

Surely the best out and out centre forward we have had in my 60 years of watching. Superb in the air - the phrase floats like a butterfly stings like a bee was appropriate for him, he seemed to hang before his neck flexed and unleashed massive power in sending the ball goalwards. 

He created space for others with his strength , David Shaw prospered so much because of Fryatt’s presence. 
He also had a charisma that added to his presence. Pancho sideburns,  great bald forehead , the tangerine shirt ...all contributed to his presence and representation of the  era. 
RIP Jim Fryatt - the King 

You just don't see many like him anymore, his timing in the air was excellent. 

Matt Smith was the closest, but Jim was the best  IMO.

17 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It was a very explicit plan by Jimmy Frizz. Can't say Arthur rings any bells at all. 

His nickname was Garth ( at least with the crowd I stood with ) and he was a big thick-set ( left-footed?? ) Jock who played centre half ! 

On 6/6/2020 at 6:23 AM, Dave_Og said:

I met David Shaw a few years ago. Said he'd never really liked football and much preferred rugby league! His second debut for us was one of my favourite footballing memories with his return being a secret until he stepped on the pitch. Imagine pulling that off now. 

With his pace David Shaw would have been a rugby league international.

22 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It was a very explicit plan by Jimmy Frizz. Can't say Arthur rings any bells at all. 

I remember Arthur, a big burly centre back who turned like a juggernaut.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:53 AM, cheshireblue said:

On 6/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, TheBigDog said:

The graffiti was about Jim Bowie I think 🤔 

The memory fades but it was something like, “Oi Big Jim give us our bowl back”

Not been on for a while and just read about Jimmy Fryatt.What a great striker alongside Dave Shaw.Great  partnership .He could head the ball harder than most could kick the ball and was like a blur as it nearly broke the back of the net.

His huge lamb chops sideburns  were a sight to behold. Think his son was a pro golfer in the USA.Remember speaking to Dave Shaw at a pub in Milnrow?and he rated his playing partner as one of the best.RIP..

On 6/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, BP1960 said:

I remember Arthur, a big burly centre back who turned like a juggernaut.

Sounds like a proper Latics centre half lol. Played 10 times in 1970/71 and i think that was it for him at BP. 

1970/71 was my first season and like many, i cannot recall big Arthur playing    

From the indispensable Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988 (by Garth Dykes):

Arthur Campbell Thomson, centre-half, 1970/71, 6ft 2in, 13st 7lbs.

Born Edinburgh, 2 September 1948

Debut (as sub) v Darlington (a) 17 Jan 1970.

Appearances 27(1)

Career: Chelsea apprentice; Heart of Midlothian; joined Latics 15 Jan 1970; transferred to Raith Rovers 2 Jan 1971.

International honours: Scotland U-23 3 caps, Scotland Schoolboy caps.

"A rugged Scot, Arthur had a disappointing 12 months at Boundary Park. He began at centre-half, then played left-half in a supporting back-four role with Alan Lawson. He started 1970/71 as first choice centre-half but was dropped after the 3-1 home defeat by Workington in mid-September and was recalled only twice before his transfer to Raith Rovers."

Wikipedia says that he died in Edinburgh in March 2002 aged 53.

Archived