Gary Harkins retires - other players who've made a big impact in a short stay?

Huge testament to Gary Harkins that he made such an impact and is held in such high regard by #oafc fans when he played for us just 22 times.

Which other players did similar?

Adam Lockwood is the first one that springs to mind for me. 29 appearances.
Signing an old man from non-league who looked an absolute clogger appeared a terrible signing at the time but what an impact.
What a leader.

Who else?

Kevin (Thomas) Moore who only played 13 times for us on loan from Southampton in 1987 and nearly got us to the promised land a few years earlier than we actually achieved.  Very classy central defender.

If we had gone up that year when we lost to Dirty Leeds in the playoffs, I think he would have joined us permanently and we would be talking of him being a Latics legend now.

RIP Kevin.

3 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Kevin (Thomas) Moore who only played 13 times for us on loan from Southampton in 1987 and nearly got us to the promised land a few years earlier than we actually achieved.  Very classy central defender.

If we had gone up that year when we lost to Dirty Leeds in the playoffs, I think he would have joined us permanently and we would be talking of him being a Latics legend now.

RIP Kevin.

In total agreement with this - oozed class and would have been a superb permanent signing.

Died at the age of 55 years from Picks disease. Rest in Peace.

1 hour ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

RIP Kevin.

I think we signed him permanently from Grimsby but he left after the play off season to sign for Southampton.Agree he was pure class though.

21 minutes ago, jbroyton said:

I think we signed him permanently from Grimsby but he left after the play off season to sign for Southampton.Agree he was pure class though.

He had a clause in his contract that said he could go if we didn't go up.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

He had a clause in his contract that said he could go if we didn't go up.

Correct, what a classy player, having said that after he left we didn't do too bad with centre half's with one or two exceptions. 

50 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Correct, what a classy player, having said that after he left we didn't do too bad with centre half's with one or two exceptions. 

Richard Jobson springs to mind in the ‘classy centre back’ category.

George Kinnell, 8 goals in 12 games then sold.

Billy Johnston Northern Ireland International 29 impressive games then a  severe ankle injury ended his career.

Wayne Harrison 17yo youth who made such an impact he was sold to Liverpool after only 6 appearances, sadly his career ended too early with a succession of injuries.

Clyde Wignhard, 26 games of explosive pace and power.

Shefti Kuqi..brute strength and some terrific goals, followed by the great swallow dive.

And hope he can be signed for next season..Carl Piergianni.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Richard Jobson springs to mind in the ‘classy centre back’ category.

Not sure his stay can be described as short though

Another named not mentioned Lee Grant excellent goalkeeper only what 4 months with us?

Matt Derbyshire did well in his short time as did Curtis Main

Simon Webster signed on loan from West ham circa 1995 very commanding centre back from memory just 7 games for us.

What we classing as a short stay 6 months or under?

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not sure his stay can be described as short though

Another named not mentioned Lee Grant excellent goalkeeper only what 4 months with us?

Matt Derbyshire did well in his short time as did Curtis Main

Simon Webster signed on loan from West ham circa 1995 very commanding centre back from memory just 7 games for us.

What we classing as a short stay 6 months or under?

I'd say under 1 season.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

surely he played more than that?

Wiki says 18. Soccerbase says 25 - seems to be 18 league games and 7 cup games. Got injured at Palace at start of December and didn't play again until the last league game. Missed the first leg of the playoffs.

Either way, not even half a season really.

Paul Jones . veteran centre half from Bolton.

Joined when we lost at home to Fourth Division Orient in the Cup ......following 3 months without a win.

Helped steady a very unstable ship .....along with a young centre half from Leeds.

Archived