The return of football on the telly!

Don't know about everyone else but I'm quite looking forward to watching some English football on the TV from Weds!

Not been bothered about watching most PL stuff over the past few years appart from the odd game, but perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder and the relegation fight should be pretty interesting.

Maybe it's because there's fuck all else to do at the moment....

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Don't know about everyone else but I'm quite looking forward to watching some English football on the TV from Weds!

Not been bothered about watching most PL stuff over the past few years appart from the odd game, but perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder and the relegation fight should be pretty interesting.

Maybe it's because there's :censored: all else to do at the moment....

Tbh I think the enthusiasm to watch matches in empty stadiums will soon wear off.  

Bournemouth v Crystal Palace for example on the BBC isn't exactly mouthwatering. 

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

1 hour ago, oafc 123 said:

Tbh I think the enthusiasm to watch matches in empty stadiums will soon wear off.  

Bournemouth v Crystal Palace for example on the BBC isn't exactly mouthwatering. 

I have watched quite a bit of the Bundesliga and even checked out some of the Juventus v Milan game on Friday. Generally the players look somewhat off the pace of the game. Imho the standard of play, specifically from the teams outside the top three or four in Germany is poor given that it’s the top league in the country.

Having said that it’s live football and I have enjoyed it. The addition of crowd noise does improve the viewing experience and I believe that that will be a ‘red button ‘ option for the English leagues. 

And as before lockdown, I will probably choose which games I watch live and catch up with the rest on Match of The Day or similar.

Bring it on!

Been watching the Aussie Rugby league.... Proper sportsmen, no bullshit, no whining, no cheating and no over paid prima donnas. 

Refreshing tbh and yet in a few days time millions will be watching 20something old multi millionaires faking injury, clutching their face because someone tapped them on the arm and screaming abuse at referees and opposition players while their agents work out which club would make them even more money next

Feck the Premier League

3 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Been watching the Aussie Rugby league.... Proper sportsmen, no bullshit, no whining, no cheating and no over paid prima donnas. 

Refreshing tbh and yet in a few days time millions will be watching 20something old multi millionaires faking injury, clutching their face because someone tapped them on the arm and screaming abuse at referees and opposition players while their agents work out which club would make them even more money next

Feck the Premier League

Yep. It's an astonishing level of sport. 

15 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

in a few days time millions will be watching 20something old multi millionaires faking injury, clutching their face because someone tapped them on the arm and screaming abuse at referees and opposition players while their agents work out which club would make them even more money next

So far from what I've seen - 3 Bundesliga and 3 Spanish games - far less faking without spectators.

The NRL has been superb. I’ve watched most of the games on the Fox Sports app, through subscription. Unbelievable athletes.

It’ll be good to the Premier League back but I do think the novelty will wear off, and it’ll just be a case of getting the season finished and planning for 2020/2021, whenever that’ll start.

2 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

The NRL has been superb. I’ve watched most of the games on the Fox Sports app, through subscription. Unbelievable athletes.

Different level altogether to our domestic RL

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Does seem to be the case.

...and time wasting seems to have pretty much disappeared.

The other thing of note is away wins. It is massive in Germany, over half the games. It was happening in Belarus when they had low crowds so I would suspect the same over here.

43 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The Sky games are also on the Pick channel. I'm guessing they will be either highlights or reruns of the games, as it's a free channel.

Pick will be showing 25 games live.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/sport/2020-06-05/premier-league-games-pick-tv/

Freeview: Channel 11

Freesat: Channel 144

Sky: Channel 159

Virgin Media: Channel 165

Pick is a free-to-air channel, owned by Sky. It was originally launched in 2005 as Sky Three, and is essentially a "shop window" service for Sky's main entertainment channel Sky One and its other subscription services.

13 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

So far from what I've seen - 3 Bundesliga and 3 Spanish games - far less faking without spectators.

13 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Does seem to be the case.

It’s interesting point. As I would of thought players dive/fake injury for an a competitive edge or to a gain a free kick/pen. But if what you say has merit, then it would appear it’s more physiological or playing to the crowd. Which is far less important than gaining a pen for instance. 

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s interesting point. As I would of thought players dive/fake injury for an a competitive edge or to a gain a free kick/pen. But if what you say has merit, then it would appear it’s more physiological or playing to the crowd. Which is far less important than gaining a pen for instance. 

Home crowds have always made a difference. The host team invariably chooses to play towards the home end second half to give them a boost towards the end of the game. Also many teams can be intimidated by the crowd at certain venues - Anfield and Old Trafford for example. The noise from fans at Crystal Palace have been credited with making Selhurst Park a far more difficult place to go these days. And how often are penalties, free kicks and cards given when referees are pressured by a baying home crowd? 

I think that players know this and use any means to harness it and gain an edge. The absence of crowds must have an impact and maybe will negate some of the home advantage. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Home crowds have always made a difference. The host team invariably chooses to play towards the home end second half to give them a boost towards the end of the game. Also many teams can be intimidated by the crowd at certain venues - Anfield and Old Trafford for example. The noise from fans at Crystal Palace have been credited with making Selhurst Park a far more difficult place to go these days. And how often are penalties, free kicks and cards given when referees are pressured by a baying home crowd? 

I think that players know this and use any means to harness it and gain an edge. The absence of crowds must have an impact and maybe will negate some of the home advantage. 

Be interesting to see the percentage of away wins before and after 

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Yeah it’s funny isn’t it. 

‘There’s no one watching, so I’ll just get up’ 

I’d wager it will affect things like dissent as well- how much are players caught up in the atmosphere or whipping up the crowd. I think they’ll be generally more accepting of decisions.  

3 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

So it's back, although it looks like they forget to tell the technology! 

I presume if Michael Oliver' satnav breaks down he just keeps on driving until he reaches the sea 😁

The ref has to trust the technology, first time in 9,000 games it's failed. VAR is intrusive enough without getting involved in Hawkeye decisions, which have been flawless for many years.

8 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

The ref has to trust the technology, first time in 9,000 games it's failed. VAR is intrusive enough without getting involved in Hawkeye decisions, which have been flawless for many years.

True. But a cursory glance by the man in the VAR van would have been all it needed. 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:31 AM, Londonboy said:

Two games in and it’s mixed reviews from the various flash surveys conducted.

Neither game was a classic and despite the piped crowd noise the games resembled pre-season friendlies. The players are clearly not at full fitness but the top players still stood out.  Grealish looked a class act as did Henderson in the first game. Whereas De Bruyne And Silva D. we’re on good form.

Highlights for me:

That ‘goal’ that wasn’t given in the first game.

Ederson taking out Garcia and not really looking bothered.

The immaculately choreographed ‘knee’ at kickoff at Villa Park.

De Bruyne time on the ball - all the great players have it.

A slow start but it’s back. It will be interesting to see how the League 2 playoffs look this evening. 🤔

I was getting bored of football before lockdown. 

In the absence of live stuff, I've been watching some '90s games and a lot from Latics' glory years (thanks @lookersstandandy).

It whet my appetite for the game's return after lockdown. But, those two games last night were dull, dull, dull. 

In reality, I don't think I've missed the game in it's current guise at all while it's been off. 

And as for missing Latics in their current state - no chance. The social aspect only holds any appeal whatsoever. 

Archived