Playing squad, summer 2020

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a rumour flying round (on Sky, I think) that Dino is interested in Emmanuel Sonupe, winger from Stevenage. That's just what we need; someone who played for a team that won three games all season and got relegated. Yes, I'm guilty of judging without seeing him play. If he turns up, that is.

9 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Pure supposition based on the fact that he was signed for Stevenage by Dino. He didn’t play against us in the goalless(*) draw earlier this year and in fact only played 9 games in total during the season. 

* Segbe had two goals disallowed in the game.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

We have an option to take the Salford striker on permanently

Which ofcourse we shouldn't take so no doubt we will.

Everyone knows my thoughts on the recruitment strategy over the last 2 years its been unacceptably poor and the results have backed this up and while I'm fairly "meh" about the foreign lads moving on its one thing to get rid of those under performing players but if we bring in an equally poor group of domestic players then its going to be no better.

The owner 12 months ago said his aim was to go for promotion the season just gone and take us to the championship in 5 years, last season resulted in our worst league finish in over 50 years so it can only describe it as an abject failure.

Infact any season that we spend in league 2 and doesn't result in a push for the top 7 should be regarded as failure if you want proof of that try looking at the actual top 7 in league 2 last season

Swindon Town

Crewe

Plymouth

Cheltenham

Exeter

Colchester

Northampton Town

The only club who could rightly claim to be bigger club than us are Plymouth but for the vast majority of their history they have been on a par or even below where we are at in the footballing pyramid. We have spent most of the last 30 plus years competing on the same level as Swindon Town we have been at the same level if not higher than Crewe Northampton Colchester and Exeter and anyone who thinks we can't compete with Cheltenham Town should get in the sea.

The January window showed an improvement in the recruitment strategy and in the playing squad so it is possible so lets not rule anything out Covid 19 will obviously have an impact but that will effect every club and as a result its likely to be a buyers market this summer as most clubs will struggle and players will have to drop wages. Their will be value to be had in the transfer market however I'm not holding my breath that we will find it.  

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The only club who could rightly claim to be bigger club than us are Plymouth but for the vast majority of their history they have been on a par or even below where we are at in the footballing pyramid. We have spent most of the last 30 plus years competing on the same level as Swindon Town we have been at the same level if not higher than Crewe Northampton Colchester and Exeter.

Essentially, so what?

48 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Everyone knows my thoughts on the recruitment strategy over the last 2 years its been unacceptably poor and the results have backed this up

The January window showed an improvement in the recruitment strategy and in the playing squad

Dearnley on a two year deal announced today. So perhaps the improvement will continue... or the announcement could be to soften the blow of us not retaining one or two key players? We will know soon...

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Dearnley on a two year deal announced today. So perhaps the improvement will continue... or the announcement could be to soften the blow of us not retaining one or two key players? We will know soon...

In all seriousness who are the one or two key players whose non-retention would come as a blow?

36 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

You could be onto something there... it reminds me of Baxter being announced on his return.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Infact any season that we spend in league 2 and doesn't result in a push for the top 7 should be regarded as failure if you want proof of that try looking at the actual top 7 in league 2 last season

Swindon Town

Crewe

Plymouth

Cheltenham

Exeter

Colchester

Northampton Town

Top 3 for me. Forget the playoffs.

52 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

You may be right there. The fact the retained list is so late, is probably down to options being problematic.

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Rowe, McCann for starters 😊

On Wheaters Instagram live video on Sunday, McCann commented and wheaters response was something along the lines of ‘ignore Chris McCann, he’s fishing for another club’. 

That alone has made me think he won’t be retained. 

2 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

There's a rumour flying round (on Sky, I think) that Dino is interested in Emmanuel Sonupe, winger from Stevenage. That's just what we need; someone who played for a team that won three games all season and got relegated. Yes, I'm guilty of judging without seeing him play. If he turns up, that is.

Also rumoured we are after Kane Wilson, very highly rated by fans of clubs he's been on loan at . If Tom Hamer is sold I could understand such a move.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Also rumoured we are after Kane Wilson, very highly rated by fans of clubs he's been on loan at . If Tom Hamer is sold I could understand such a move.

Well he's had Clarkey helping coach him since January, which can't be a bad thing.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Why is everything so fu****g complicated at this club. Conflict seemingly follows each and every decision!!

There’s a lot to have a go at the club for, negotiating what they can afford  in unprecedented times isn’t one of them. The money they saving making ‘derisory’ offers is helping towards offering Dearnley a two year deal. 

Archived