Playing squad, summer 2020

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

But it was paid-imagine how happy you would be now chatting with all your fellow naysayers on here if it hadn't been paid.

You got £60,000 a month to put into a black hole called a football club? If not go out and find somebody who has-good luck with that.

Given the size of the squad, the lack of quality,  the housing costs, and complete lack of resale value, I am sure that £60k could be significantly reduced whilst having a better team.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Done. So we’re left with 6 contracted players and 5 more offered 2/3-month extensions. Have to say, McCann is the only one that bothers me much.

I can only hope that McCann refused a short extension, because I can't believe DM would not have wanted him in preference to Engone and Maouch. However, whenever the next season starts there should be plenty of decent players available. The club just has to make sure they get some of them.

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

I can only hope that McCann refused a short extension, because I can't believe DM would not have wanted him in preference to Engone and Maouch. However, whenever the next season starts there should be plenty of decent players available. The club just has to make sure they get some of them.

Probably scouting the French 4th division already. :getmecoat:

6 hours ago, al_bro said:

Clearly there is deep uncertainty and much can change in the coming months.

Broadly happy with the retained list, I also hoped Chris McCann might stay. Players in his position need to consider their options and find the best deal, we understand that, so if that's the end of his stay, Chris McCann certainly showed his quality.

It does seem likely that many players will be eager to find a club, hopefully the owner is now more inclined to invest in a slim squad, low 20's in number with the attributes to build a team around Rowe and Dearnley.

Wheater will do for me, never understood why Tom Hamer gets heavy criticism.

No surprise that Salford kept Pidge, he was very solid.

Jonny Smith, you were magic, thanks

On 7/1/2020 at 11:11 PM, whittles left foot said:

No idea-just like nobody has any idea of this owners wealth and where it comes from.

BUT so far he has confounded you and kept us in business thru this crisis, managed to pay off debts again today but that doesn't sit well with you and others.

Effectively we're terminally ill, going through pain and agony at every juncture. Come forth Dignitas. TAKE ME NOW!!!

14 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

You got £60,000 a month to put into a black hole called a football club? If not go out and find somebody who has-good luck with that.

It's this kind of bollocks "don't dare dream, just suck it up until someone else will bankroll it" attitude that has put us where we are; on the seabed of the football league with dozens of traditionally smaller clubs looking way, way down at us. Fucking season after season of revolving door strategy with the player calibre going shitter and shitter with each revolution. We've lost 1,000 regulars in a season because of it. 2,000 over the course of ten years.

The owner should be scrutinised at every opportunity and his borrow-off-Peter-to-pay-Paul strategy called out for what it is. 

6 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this kind of bollocks "don't dare dream, just suck it up until someone else will bankroll it" attitude that has put us where we are; on the seabed of the football league with dozens of traditionally smaller clubs looking way, way down at us. Fucking season after season of revolving door strategy with the player calibre going shitter and shitter with each revolution. We've lost 1,000 regulars in a season because of it. 2,000 over the course of ten years.

The owner should be scrutinised at every opportunity and his borrow-off-Peter-to-pay-Paul strategy called out for what it is. 

Absolutely its funny that people take the shut up and support the club mantra while the likes of Rochdale and Accrington Stanley sail past us its the mentality of the loser.

Not only that but its reflected in the town of Oldham you go there and half the people look like they've given up on life and accepted their status as the armpit of Britain.

15 hours ago, al_bro said:

Bolton and Salford after him so I would guess we did offer but he wants to go and ramp his wage up at Salford or play in a shiny stadium in bolton

Queensy Menig...£11k a week...WTF!!!.....still can’t work that one out.

That outlay alone could have paid the wages of 4 quality players that would have made a huge difference. We could have effectively been challenging near the top of the 1st division instead of where we find ourselves now, fighting just to stay in the football league.

I’m absolutely convinced AL bought this club as a vehicle to showcase his agency players and players he could bring in from his network of contacts throughout Europe and beyond and then subsequently sell on.

The plan has spectacularly backfired and he’s now in a situation which he’s going to find very difficult to recover from!!

If he really had a passion for OAFC and been serious about moving this club forward the purchase would almost certainly have had to include the freehold otherwise what was the point?

THE ONLY way he is going to get the fans back onside is to produce a team capable of challenging for promotion. If he wants to sell ST’s, executive boxes, club merchandise and attract the necessary investment a winning team is now the only possible solution.

Has he got the desire, has he got the finance, and has he got the right people on board to help him? I really hope so because this club is now in the ‘last chance saloon’ and cannot possibly survive if it continues on its present trajectory. 

Another bad start on the field and things are going to get toxic, very very quickly!!!

28 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That outlay alone could have paid the wages of 4 quality players that would have made a huge difference. We could have effectively been challenging near the top of the 1st division instead of where we find ourselves now, fighting just to stay in the football league.

I’m absolutely convinced AL bought this club as a vehicle to showcase his agency players and players he could bring in from his network of contacts throughout Europe and beyond and then subsequently sell on.

The plan has spectacularly backfired and he’s now in a situation which he’s going to find very difficult to recover from!!

If he really had a passion for OAFC and been serious about moving this club forward the purchase would almost certainly have had to include the freehold otherwise what was the point?

THE ONLY way he is going to get the fans back onside is to produce a team capable of challenging for promotion. If he wants to sell ST’s, executive boxes, club merchandise and attract the necessary investment a winning team is now the only possible solution.

Has he got the desire, has he got the finance, and has he got the right people on board to help him? I really hope so because this club is now in the ‘last chance saloon’ and cannot possibly survive if it continues on its present trajectory. 

Another bad start on the field and things are going to get toxic, very very quickly!!!

Our fan base doesn't have toxic in it. Some would turn up if they were playing on the car park, others are easily swayed by a few decent results and the most of the rest have given up the ghost.

Scholes was the big chance to turn the ship around and they blew it.

‘Some would turn up if they were playing on the car park,’

Maybe so but ‘some’ will not be enough!!

We’ve lost over 1000 regulars since AL rocked up and with Covid and another shite season behind us we are set to lose a whole lot more!!

17 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

‘Some would turn up if they were playing on the car park,’

Maybe so but ‘some’ will not be enough!!

We’ve lost over 1000 regulars since AL rocked up and with Covid and another shite season behind us we are set to lose a whole lot more!!

Not too sure about that, think there will be an appetite to get back to it when circumstances allow.

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

You can rant and rave all you want about where we are now in footballs hierarchy but you like others have no answers to who is going to fund the club other than this owner. A dream is all it is at the moment.

Where is the bid from OEC with funding in place from  mystery backers? Nearly a year since this was mooted.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Absolutely its funny that people take the shut up and support the club mantra while the likes of Rochdale and Accrington Stanley sail past us its the mentality of the loser.

Who is saying shut up and support the club? It is just as relevant to point out that there are few options out there for change -I wish there were.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not only that but its reflected in the town of Oldham you go there and half the people look like they've given up on life and accepted their status as the armpit of Britain.

And what do you suggest to change this-play 'Always look on the bright side of life' across the town centre? Again lots of questions but no answers.

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

To be fair, and I have to say alledgedly, 

This was Pre-Al take over and a test to see Al's wealth and. Bearing in mind he should not have offered any financial help to our club pre-take over and he was. 

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I found the Trusts praise of us having a midtable budget slightly odd given the correlation between wage bills and league positions.

Do you mean for the 2018/19 year (league one) or 2019/20 year (league two)? and from last night statement? 

https://trustoldham.co.uk/2020/07/02/trust-oldham-comments-on-the-clubs-accounts-for-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3p5s4M1Uorhw-7iNj6HJQPk252pLXQeUbUpl6R2z5OGLrJRLnPtpzzHqs

4 minutes ago, underdog said:

Do you mean for the 2018/19 year (league one) or 2019/20 year (league two)? and from last night statement? 

https://trustoldham.co.uk/2020/07/02/trust-oldham-comments-on-the-clubs-accounts-for-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3p5s4M1Uorhw-7iNj6HJQPk252pLXQeUbUpl6R2z5OGLrJRLnPtpzzHqs

Actually they haven't really praised it at all, as you were.

34 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Actually they haven't really praised it at all, as you were.

I think the articles that feature the accounts are going to be the most illuminating and the greater detail. More of the same please.
We seeem to have learned more from that article than years previosuly.

Archived