EFL season 20/21 starts on Saturday 12th September 20

"It was announced earlier this month that Oldham had been chosen as one of four pilot sites in the country testing people who do not have symptoms of Covid-19, especially people working in ‘high-contact occupations’ such as taxi drivers, hairdressers and food outlet workers."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

:o

In the weekly numbers we have a falling rate compared to a few weeks ago, unlike Blackburn who have overtaken Leicester at the top of the COVID League.

We aren’t even in the top 10 this week 🤨

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

In the weekly numbers we have a falling rate compared to a few weeks ago, unlike Blackburn who have overtaken Leicester at the top of the COVID League.

We aren’t even in the top 10 this week 🤨

The last week has rocketed again. Faster than the beginning of the pandemic.

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Oldham

17 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The last week has rocketed again. Faster than the beginning of the pandemic.

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Oldham

No doubt some people thinking " it's all over " when possibly the worst is yet to come ??

I went to Blackpool last week for a "day out" and the difference in approaches to Covid was alarming. 

I was met at the door of a pub by the landlady who sprayed my hands with sanitiser, led me to a freshly cleaned table and brought my pint and change. 

During a stroll down the front I looked for shelter in an arcade as it started to rain only to see people mixing freely bumping into each other and the only sop to social distancing was the odd fruit machine turned off.

Needless to say I got a bit wet walking back to my first stop.

8 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Sky just put up a graphic showing the "top" 5 Covid towns in the country and there it was...... Oldham in 5th spot.... its been a long time since I've seen a table like that 😏

We'll be 17th by May.

https://www.ft.com/content/f63f9e25-a291-4871-9d4b-2fcf93c4969e

"The chair of the UK government’s vaccine task force has damped hopes of finding a “silver bullet” that provides lifetime immunity against Covid-19 despite a week of positive trial results for potential inoculations. [...] it was more likely scientists would develop either a vaccine that provides a year’s immunity or one that only mitigates the symptoms of the virus."

Also points out the problem of production capacity for vaccines. Supply likely to be highly limited given worldwide demand.

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

https://www.ft.com/content/f63f9e25-a291-4871-9d4b-2fcf93c4969e

"The chair of the UK government’s vaccine task force has damped hopes of finding a “silver bullet” that provides lifetime immunity against Covid-19 despite a week of positive trial results for potential inoculations. [...] it was more likely scientists would develop either a vaccine that provides a year’s immunity or one that only mitigates the symptoms of the virus."

Also points out the problem of production capacity for vaccines. Supply likely to be highly limited given worldwide demand.

I have a flu jab every year, so I don't mind having another for the virus.

That article states that antibodies have been found to diminish after 4 weeks. I have yet to hear about any person in the world who has caught this virus twice. There was talk at the beginning, of it happening in China, but that was the initial virus which hadn't gone away.

The Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine will initially be for this country, because the Government has financed it and have bought 100m. Today they have also purchased 60m of another vaccine being developed by Glaxo, which if all goes well, will be ready early next year. As will the  American/German vaccine, of which we have purchased 30m initially, with another 30m if it is successful. There is also another vaccine being developed by Imperial College London, which can be produced in huge numbers very quickly, because it is a completely new type of vaccine. That however is still in stage 1 trials and won't be ready until this time next year.

35 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Given that the season is due to begin on Sept 12, shouldn't pre-season training be starting soon - and maybe the odd pre-season game in due course!

It should,  especially as the players we have left must be a bit rusty. However the expensive testing would have to start as well, which will put a lot of clubs off starting for a while.

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Given that the season is due to begin on Sept 12, shouldn't pre-season training be starting soon - and maybe the odd pre-season game in due course!

Funny you should mention that...

4 hours ago, al_bro said:

It should,  especially as the players we have left must be a bit rusty. However the expensive testing would have to start as well, which will put a lot of clubs off starting for a while.

I didn’t think testing needed to take place for them to start now. Not a chance the clubs will have voted to start the season with that being essential as I believe the costs are huge to have it in place from what I remember when they had been discussing restarts etc. 

I heard today we have a scheduled friendly with Mossley in the diary. 

• 2 weeks later...

THE EFL have confirmed that the first round of the Carabao Cup will mark the start of the new season on Saturday, September 5.

The regular league season kicks off seven days later, with fixtures being released on Friday, August 21 at 9 am.

The draw for the first round of the Carabao Cup will be on Tuesday, August 18.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/202021-season-dates-confirmed-across-the-efl/

Archived