EFL season 20/21 starts on Saturday 12th September 20

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

So anything that happened that you can’t personally recall has no relevance for you ? 

I did dome training a little whole ago as I thought some younger members of my team were lacking in general knowledge.  When harking back to things that had happened in my career that were very relevant to then current events I was met with an almost unanimous response of 'well it's before my time'.  It's s a depressing attitude - if we fail to learn form history then we are destined to repeat the mistakes of the past.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

So anything that happened that you can’t personally recall has no relevance for you ? 

Crikey lads, clearly you love the league cup so that’s great for you. My only real memories of league cup games is play a team that’s above us in the football pyramid, getting beat and it being the second game of the season on a Tuesday night. Not really anything to be buzzing about.

Simply asked a question on the last time we went through the first round and now getting a lesson on appreciating history.

Unfortunately I don’t have any memories of going to Wembley, are you telling me I should love the competition because we did ? Makes no sense.  

45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Crikey lads, clearly you love the league cup so that’s great for you. My only real memories of league cup games is play a team that’s above us in the football pyramid, getting beat and it being the second game of the season on a Tuesday night. Not really anything to be buzzing about.

Simply asked a question on the last time we went through the first round and now getting a lesson on appreciating history.

Unfortunately I don’t have any memories of going to Wembley, are you telling me I should love the competition because we did ? Makes no sense.  

Best thing about the LC for us now, is the TV money if you get a PL club at home. The prize money is very poor.

4 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

It definitely means less if you weren't personally involved.

Watching Neil Redfern's penalty on youTube doesn't get me as excited as it does the old codgers who still bleat on about it.

3 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

It definitely means less if you weren't personally involved.

Watching Neil Redfern's penalty on youTube doesn't get me as excited as it does the old codgers who still bleat on about it.

If you'd been in the Chaddy the noise would have blown the roof off, had one been on it. It's something you could never forget. Think of Fulham and multiply it several times.

Just now, al_bro said:

If you'd been in the Chaddy the noise would have blown the roof off, had one been on it. It's something you could never forget. Think of Fulham and multiply it several times.

I didn't go Fulham either 😐

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's known as broadening the debate... :)

There is contributing to a debate and getting personal by labelling that mind set “depressing”. The fact that anyone or I don’t have an interest in something that happened in the past isn’t depressing, it’s just different perspectives. You have a reason to appreciate the league cup (presumably), I don’t. I do however have fond memories of the FA Cup, Everton, Liverpool even Forrest games spring to mind. 
Don’t make people feel bad for not having connections to things that happened before their time. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

There is contributing to a debate and getting personal by labelling that mind set “depressing”. The fact that anyone or I don’t have an interest in something that happened in the past isn’t depressing, it’s just different perspectives. You have a reason to appreciate the league cup (presumably), I don’t. I do however have fond memories of the FA Cup, Everton, Liverpool even Forrest games spring to mind. 
Don’t make people feel bad for not having connections to things that happened before their time. 

Broadening as in not specific to you.  Don't go all snowflake!  

I had no personal involvement in the first world war but I can get quite emotional about it

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

We beat Wigan at home in the 16/17 season, before going out (harshly?) away at Preston on Sky in R2. Under Robinson.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Broadening as in not specific to you.  Don't go all snowflake!  

I had no personal involvement in the first world war but I can get quite emotional about it

Trying to defend not getting personal with a personal jibe. 

Comparing a trip to Wembley with the First World War ? Okay. 

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Trying to defend not getting personal with a personal jibe. 

Comparing a trip to Wembley with the First World War ? Okay. 

Oh FFS, get some context.  It will serve you well as you progress through the ages.

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Oh FFS, get some context.  It will serve you well as you progress through the ages.

If you just respected others instead of being so blinkered thinking your way of thinking is the only one the group of individuals you where attempting to train may have paid attention. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

If you just respected others instead of being so blinkered thinking your way of thinking is the only one the group of individuals you where attempting to train may have paid attention. 

They asked for more sessions and I did them six weeks running....

58 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

We beat Wigan at home in the 16/17 season, before going out (harshly?) away at Preston on Sky in R2. Under Robinson.

I remember Ripley's rush of blood and super Sidney Schmeltz that night.😂

Archived