Davis Keillor-Dunn signs

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

They might, but one would hope a well run football club might identify a player that would fit their plans and then approach the club/agent to try to secure a deal..... as opposed to ringing up an agent and putting an order in for a type of player, without ever having seen any of them play.

I remember Joe Royle saying in the mid 80s that one year when we needed a centre half him and Willie Donachie wrote down the list of attributes they wanted and then went through that years Rothmans Football Yearbook. We signed Brendan O'Callaghan. 

2 hours ago, astottie said:

I remember Joe Royle saying in the mid 80s that one year when we needed a centre half him and Willie Donachie wrote down the list of attributes they wanted and then went through that years Rothmans Football Yearbook. We signed Brendan O'Callaghan. 

So I guess we can say that method of recruitment doesn't work either. LOL

Surely it is worth contacting the agents to see who is available who may fit your needs, then choosing from the list given.  (hopefully you get a list)

5 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Although most who saw him frequently for Latics did want him. Salford aren’t necessarily the arbiters of quality otherwise their money last season would have seen them up. 

Yeah, I accept that. And, for this division, he's adequate enough. But it's yet another signal of our trajectory in comparison to theirs. I can't muster a germ of tummy butterflies when I look at who's come in so far.

P

36 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yeah, I accept that. And, for this division, he's adequate enough. But it's yet another signal of our trajectory in comparison to theirs. I can't muster a germ of tummy butterflies when I look at who's come in so far.

Lets remember the vision our owner set out only 14 months ago. 

Plan - Vision

So the aim is to be a league 1 team by September 2022.

I think some of the signings are ok but we are a long long way away from looking like a promotion chasing side.

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

P

Plan - Vision

So the aim is to be a league 1 team by September 2022.

I think some of the signings are ok but we are a long long way away from looking like a promotion chasing side.

Just a quick review of the Plan-Vision and i would say we are absolutely light years from achieving any of the 5 objectives raised in any forseeable future timescale. 

I am not aware of any improvement off the field in any operational area - would it be delighted to be wrong but sadly i think my opinion is probably accurate.  

To be fair (unusual as that might seem), I'm not sure whose plan-vision is worth the paper (old school)  it was written on. It's a whole new world due to CV19 and survival is as far as some can aspire and even that is not achievable for many. Just look at how many clubs and firms (local and national) are on their uppers and the job losses already and in the pipeline.

I'm tempering my expectations a bit this year to recognise the  real world and the **** storm for sport and every business with CV19.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

P

Plan - Vision

45 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Just a quick review of the Plan-Vision and i would say we are absolutely light years from achieving any of the 5 objectives raised in any forseeable future timescale. 

Don't let a global pandemic and the worst recession in many a  year, no football income since March, no real sign of when fans will be allowed into a game to create said income get in the way of a football vision from 14 months ago.

I am not defending the owner but really a bit of realism is required here.

Players are being signed and not "French lads" so far, a reported fee having been paid for one of them but of course this none of this sits well with the agenda lads.

34 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Don't let a global pandemic and the worst recession in many a  year, no football income since March, no real sign of when fans will be allowed into a game to create said income get in the way of a football vision from 14 months ago.

Players are being signed and not "French lads" so far, a reported fee having been paid for one of them but of course this none of this sits well with the agenda lads.

'The agenda lads' aka

'The absolutely fed up of supporting a dog shit football club lads'.

Global pandemic or not, there is still nothing surer than at least 18 other teams finishing above us in this tin pot league next season. 

41 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Not an agenda lad pal, stating facts

We are in the worst pandemic and recession in living memory but the club has absolutely no foundations whatsoever - these could have been started to be set well done COVID-19

Out of interest where do you think we are in terms of any of the vision???

Absolutely pointless discussing signings at the moment - still only signing league 2 potential lads, doubt that Mo's recruitment will meet any of the objectives stated

Been supporting them 50 fucking years and you think i have an agenda??? Get real  

51 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So how were we doing up until the pandemic then?

17 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

'The agenda lads' aka

'The absolutely fed up of supporting a dog shit football club lads'.

Global pandemic or not, there is still nothing surer than at least 18 other teams finishing above us in this tin pot league next season. 

7 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Been supporting them 50 fucking years and you think i have an agenda??? Get real  

See my only agenda is seeing the club do well what other agenda would one have? If thats what is required to be in the #agendalads then sign me up.

Dino left because he had no say on recruitment but those doing the recruitment have been shit. They have shifted their strategy but to what exactly and will it work ?

You can’t just sign a bunch of players and hope they click, there has to be some consistency or reason behind the signings.

Just have to hope for the best. 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

All fair points apart from the last nine words.  Who in hell wouldn't have an agenda to see the club run properly?

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

See my only agenda is seeing the club do well what other agenda would one have? If thats what is required to be in the #agendalads then sign me up.

Agree 100% - hate this "agendalads" shit - been to over 2000 games watching them, over 150 grounds and some people seem to think i might have an ulterior motive?? 

3 minutes ago, al_bro said:

In every interview the player says "If the fans get together behind the team". It would seem that they have been told to get that statement into the interview somewhere. It's not coincidence.

I attend all home games and a fair few away (though not as many as in my youth) and generally i find Latics fans quite supportive of the team. Been a bit different this season due in the main i think with a number of players who were either (a) just not up to it (b) appear not motivated enough to play for the shirt. The tactics at some away games didn't help either - Macc and Salford both spring readily to mind. 

If the recruitment had been anything like half decent since ALMO arrived - players signed who were up for it and appeared to give a shit - then fans would be behind the team pretty much 100% i would wager. 

I recall Shez's team scoring total of 31 goals in a crap season not so long ago but his signings (Main, Holloway, Palmer) all came in, worked their tripe off for the shirt, gave a shit, were backed 100% even though the team was barely good enough to stay up and all were together. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Dino left because he had no say on recruitment but those doing the recruitment have been shit. They have shifted their strategy but to what exactly and will it work ?

You can’t just sign a bunch of players and hope they click, there has to be some consistency or reason behind the signings.

Just have to hope for the best. 

This summer we've signed players in some of the positions we've needed players in. I'd say that there is good reason in all of them...regardless of what we think of them individually.  When you start off with half a dozen players, you are going to sign a bunch of players and hope for the best...otherwise we won't be able to field a team or bench if we are more selective.

4 hours ago, Chaddy14 said:

To be fair (unusual as that might seem), I'm not sure whose plan-vision is worth the paper (old school)  it was written on. It's a whole new world due to CV19 and survival is as far as some can aspire and even that is not achievable for many. Just look at how many clubs and firms (local and national) are on their uppers and the job losses already and in the pipeline.

I'm tempering my expectations a bit this year to recognise the  real world and the **** storm for sport and every business with CV19.

With due respect everyone is going to have to deal with Coronavirus. This is actually a great opportunity for clubs that are run well as they will be able to pick up players at a discount and their competitors will be struggling. Its a challenge a huge one at that but you can't just give up if you hit a bump in the road.

It was Winston Churchill who said an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

With due respect everyone is going to have to deal with Coronavirus. This is actually a great opportunity for clubs that are run well as they will be able to pick up players at a discount and their competitors will be struggling. Its a challenge a huge one at that but you can't just give up if you hit a bump in the road.

It was Winston Churchill who said an optimist see the opportunity in every difficulty.

Such a good point. For some this is a great opportunity, for others it’s a great excuse. 

1 hour ago, boyinthesnow said:

This summer we've signed players in some of the positions we've needed players in. I'd say that there is good reason in all of them...regardless of what we think of them individually.  When you start off with half a dozen players, you are going to sign a bunch of players and hope for the best...otherwise we won't be able to field a team or bench if we are more selective.

Are you saying that if a manager handles recruitment we wouldn’t have a team come start of season ? I think you have missed what I am trying to say. 
I understand we have to sign a lot of player, for obvious reasons. But it’s why they are signed I am concerned about, there needs to be a reason bigger than they play the position. 

Archived