Conor McAleny signs

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, singe said:

Bookmarked. 

I really, really hope you are right. You have to be worried, worse each season undervtge current owner. 

.... and if we are honest about it, the ones before.... 

Reality is that we have had a number of owners in the last 20 years, all have promised success, none so far have delivered.  They have all made mistakes but it is their money that keeps the club solvent.  Everyone wants them to invest more money yet many of the fans are not willing to pay for  a ST - Catch 22 situation.  Optimism is all that we can have in these uncertain times otherwise why get out of bed in the morning.  We have to accept it, we are a struggling league 2 club but we are not the only ones.  So far, I like the signings made which  for this level of football seem decent and an improvement on the last couple of years.  We either support the club or let it go the same way as Bury but the burden cannot just be on the owner.  We all have a part to play here.  

4 minutes ago, Whitts said:

Reality is that we have had a number of owners in the last 20 years, all have promised success, none so far have delivered.  They have all made mistakes but it is their money that keeps the club solvent.  Everyone wants them to invest more money yet many of the fans are not willing to pay for  a ST - Catch 22 situation.  Optimism is all that we can have in these uncertain times otherwise why get out of bed in the morning.  We have to accept it, we are a struggling league 2 club but we are not the only ones.  So far, I like the signings made which  for this level of football seem decent and an improvement on the last couple of years.  We either support the club or let it go the same way as Bury but the burden cannot just be on the owner.  We all have a part to play here.  

Atko said the owner viewed season ticket money as a bonus and there was no dependency on it. For that we can only thank the great man and his team.

1 minute ago, Whitts said:

But it's a two way street. Fans are not obliged or expected to contribute. Actions have consequences.

You can't just expect people to hand over significant sums and be completely disregarded or consdered. As an owner of any business, you have to at least work on the premise that you acknowldge people are paying for something and have an expectation that it will be somewhat appreciated, valued and be careful with what is provided with it.

The reason people are not handing their money over like they have done in the past is the actions of the owner. It is encumbent on him to change, not the fans to blindly accept.

1 hour ago, Whitts said:

Bang on the money...Yes we've been burnt for over 20 years but I rather hoped Latics fans were better than those snivelling reds down the road.

1 hour ago, singe said:

But it's a two way street. Fans are not obliged or expected to contribute. Actions have consequences.

You can't just expect people to hand over significant sums and be completely disregarded or consdered. As an owner of any business, you have to at least work on the premise that you acknowldge people are paying for something and have an expectation that it will be somewhat appreciated, valued and be careful with what is provided with it.

The reason people are not handing their money over like they have done in the past is the actions of the owner. It is encumbent on him to change, not the fans to blindly accept.

This is what's wrong with some fans these days. Pick a club and back it for life. Stiff upper lip and get on with it.

1 hour ago, singe said:

6 minutes ago, Lags said:

This is what's wrong with some fans these days. Pick a club and back it for life. Stiff upper lip and get on with it.

Two opposing views. 

”it’s not incumbent on the fans to blindly accept” versus “Stiff upper lip and get on with it”.

I know which view I align with. I don’t just blindly accept what is going on but at the same time I will continue to follow my team.

‘Stiff upper lip?’ ... bollox. 😮

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two opposing views. 

”it’s not incumbent on the fans to blindly accept” versus “Stiff upper lip and get on with it”.

I know which view I align with. I don’t just blindly accept what is going on but at the same time I will continue to follow my team.

‘Stiff upper lip?’ ... bollox. 😮

You are indeed correct. I've been suckered into Blindly accepting the polar opposite to the blindly refusing to accept anything the club do stance so often displayed on this board.

37 minutes ago, Lags said:

Argh Yes the old shut up and give us your money line.

Surprised more businesses don't use it to increase sales.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Argh Yes the old shut up and give us your money line.

Surprised more businesses don't use it to increase sales.

Supporting football clubs isn't quite like buying a pint of beer or house lighting is it?. It's not rational.

2 minutes ago, Lags said:

Supporting football clubs isn't quite like buying a pint of beer or house lighting is it?. It's not rational.

Is there nothing any owner of the club could ever do that would stop you buying a season ticket?

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Atko said the owner viewed season ticket money as a bonus and there was no dependency on it. For that we can only thank the great man and his team.

Her comments there could be construed as a massive own goal. It was those comments which prompted me and at least 6 others to take up the club's offer of a refund when COVID struck...

30 minutes ago, Lags said:

No but its not 100% irrational either.

Principal still stands People have a choice knowone is under any obligation to buy a season ticket.

Can anyone who considers Oldham Athletic their team in 2020 honestly be accused of being spoilt, a glory hunter or anything other than loyal.

Their is a difference between loyalty and obedience and people aren't prepared to have the piss taken out of them.

26 minutes ago, Lags said:

Not really. Owners come and go. I doubt this owner will be here long. 

Lets hope so the sooner he's gone the better then we can all get back to being on the same page.

3 hours ago, Whitts said:

Everyone wants them to invest more money

That's not it. I just want them to operate professionally and responsibly. To stop pissing money up the wall and pissing people off in the process. Yes, some investment needed but their decision to buy a business that needs it, like pretty much every business does. 

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That's not it. I just want them to operate professionally and responsibly. To stop pissing money up the wall and pissing people off in the process. Yes, some investment needed but their decision to buy a business that needs it, like pretty much every business does. 

... he probably feels he is operating professionally though.... we just all dont agree with his business model.  We all have an opinion on the matter and we dont have to agree on them but I personally do not feel fans staying away is the answer. I think that will be be the end of the club. His recruitment so far this year would suggest he may have listened and that he recognises that his policy of bringing in lots of foreign players has not worked. 

As for the question posed why I still go, its simple; Oldham is my home town club which was introduced to me by my dad 50 years ago.  I no longer live in the area but still travel the 2 hours to attend with my ageing dad because it is what we have done as a family through all the ups and downs and various owners.  I could go to city or utd but why would I,when I was brought up watching and supporting Latics.

4 minutes ago, Whitts said:

... he probably feels he is operating professionally though.... we just all dont agree with his business model.  We all have an opinion on the matter and we dont have to agree on them but I personally do not feel fans staying away is the answer. I think that will be be the end of the club. His recruitment so far this year would suggest he may have listened and that he recognises that his policy of bringing in lots of foreign players has not worked. 

As for the question posed why I still go, its simple; Oldham is my home town club which was introduced to me by my dad 50 years ago.  I no longer live in the area but still travel the 2 hours to attend with my ageing dad because it is what we have done as a family through all the ups and downs and various owners.  I could go to city or utd but why would I,when I was brought up watching and supporting Latics.

I respect why you, and others, still go. In your case it's [rightly] a lot more about supporting your Dad and links than supporting the owner.

2 minutes ago, singe said:

I respect why you, and others, still go. In your case it's [rightly] a lot more about supporting your Dad and links than supporting the owner.

singe, it's never been about supporting the owner, just the team but family is a factor as you have said.  Also, if the owner does not need ST sales, as some have indicated, the stay aways will not change anything as he must have more money than sense.  Perhaps a well supported club may encourage potential new owners to invest in the club because it has potential to grow .....food for thought

5 minutes ago, Whitts said:

singe, it's never been about supporting the owner, just the team but family is a factor as you have said.  Also, if the owner does not need ST sales, as some have indicated, the stay aways will not change anything as he must have more money than sense.  Perhaps a well supported club may encourage potential new owners to invest in the club because it has potential to grow .....food for thought

The club has substantially more potential for support than at present Whitts, the 40% or so supporters who are currently undecided about renewing STs given the club's indifference towards them, the 25% of the 2018/19 season ticket holders who did not renew last season due to reasons very similar to this year's lot and maybe try and grow some support amongst the community in which the club lives and operates, all of this would be a start! 

One of the reasons for PTB demonstration v Orient was i suspect to show any media that there are still fans at Latics who do give a shit about how the club is being run and that they care about the club enough to show up and vent their frustrations rather than choose to vote with their feet. 

That said, i agree with Singe, i think many are battle weary after the TTA and now AL and many have chosen to just give up and no longer attend which would never show in any media that there is interest in the club and how it operates. I think if the owner left, no matter what or who for, there would be a major upturn in interest from current or recently lapsed fans             

16 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Surely the rationality of buying a pint of beer depends on whether it’s your first of the evening or tenth. 

You are right, there would be a rational idea behind your scenario painted. That goes out the window supporting a football club, hell who'd choose Oldham if it didn't?

8 hours ago, Lags said:

You're sounding more and more like a quisling with every post Lags - it's not a great read if I'm honest, you used to put forward a decent perspective, but something's changed.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

You're sounding more and more like a quisling with every post Lags - it's not a great read if I'm honest, you used to put forward a decent perspective, but something's changed.

Sorry to disappoint, I guess that's due to having a different view point. That's OK with me. I've asked a few posters a direct question to tell everyone what has gone on between the club / Al and the OEC / North Stand operators and what are these differences in policies that's caused the impasse?. I find it odd that no one answers yet concludes it's Al / clubs fault. It may well prove to be the case but with no knowledge how can that be a safe assessment?. If that makes me as labelled, so be it. For me it's just balance. 

Archived