2 days to go - how do you rate our squad?

The starting 11 could well be enough for this league, although I do think a lot of people (mainly on Twitter) were getting a bit carried away with the Lincoln game. We scored two very good goals and showed some decent passing BUT Lincoln were all over us for much of the second half and had they been more ruthless would have bagged more than the one. I also think that league games will be far more physical and we don’t look a strong side.

Add to that the complete lack of depth - couple of injuries or suspensions and we are fucked.

hope for top half - expecting to struggle and IF we are lucky with injuries think we will have enough to stay up - just.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing in our favour, is the fact that most clubs at this level will be operating om the bear bones of small squads like us. If Wheater stays we should be ok at the back. Midfield looks light weight, but attacking wise we should have a big goal threat, with 5 or 6 of them capable of scoring from long range. Pidge and Jombati are a threat at corners.

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm just working out how we've managed to put out the shittest squad we've ever assembled in our celebratory 125th anniversary year, thanks for the present Abdallah.

a) Not many buying season tickets

b) Covid 19 effect

c) Poor recent management

d) Poor leadership

e) Closing your best stand

f) Moving out of the Chaddy end

.............................pick any or feel free to add to the list.

Thought the reasons we don't sign the best players, or those on long(er) contracts or high(er) wages are simple?

Being skint and having to cut the cloth according to what budget we do have?

Football is a business at the end of the day (unless you were Bury)!

I think that the majority of teams in League 2 will have similar quality squads, maybe with the exception of Salford and Bolton who appear to have been investing in better known players from League 1/ League 2. 

The squad HK has to work with does have potential and many of the players have skills but how we do will ultimately be determined by how motivated the players are, how they relate to each other and the manager and how organised and committed they are during all games. 

I wish them all well as long as they give 100% for the shirt. Hopefully HK is capable of getting a tune out of this squad and AL&Mo will leave him to manage on the field activities.     

For me we are missing three ugly players down the spine of the team CF, CM and CB. Players who will drag us through games. He will fight for every header and kick people around the park. If you look at the last few sides who have been promoted over the last few years they had that. 

Obviously still missing impact players to come off the bench etc also but seems abit worrying 2 days before the start of the season the squad isn’t half finished if woods, wheater and hamer are leaving, as rumours suggest. 

Just now, adamoafc said:

For me we are missing three ugly players down the spine of the team CF, CM and CB. Players who will drag us through games. Who will fight for every header and kick people around the park. If you look at the last few sides who have been promoted over the last few years they had that. 

Obviously still missing impact players to come off the bench etc also but seems abit worrying 2 days before the start of the season the squad isn’t half finished if woods, wheater and hamer are leaving, as rumours suggest. 

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

For me we are missing three ugly players down the spine of the team CF, CM and CB. Players who will drag us through games. He will fight for every header and kick people around the park. If you look at the last few sides who have been promoted over the last few years they had that. 

Yeah, when you take a step a back we have no quality spine to the side , and no standout leaders.

In retrospect I think I got a bit giddy that the signings just weren’t #frenchlads. 

4 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Looking at other teams actual squads I don't think we are in as bad a place as some would have us believe . Although I agree I would like Wheater  to stay  along with a hard man midfielder and a lump up front .

Yep it baffles me how City Liverpool Arsenal United Etc etc get away without having a couple of lumps in their sides 

16 hours ago, adamoafc said:

I don't think good looks matter that much in a football team.😄

1 minute ago, Crusoe said:

As I said on the squad thread, that squad looks thin and weak.

Presumably Hamer and Wheater are off as they’ve not been given new numbers. And a 2 and 7 still to come in.

You never know, Wheater and Hamer could have kept 31 and 34 to give the illusion we have a squad with depth 

4 hours ago, Crusoe said:

As I said on the squad thread, that squad looks thin and weak.

Presumably Hamer and Wheater are off as they’ve not been given new numbers. And a 2 and 7 still to come in.

Wheater's used 31 every season since he turned pro at Middlesbrough. Hamer's been 34 every season for us, including when he's been first-choice. 

Wouldn't read anything into it. 

44 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Wheater's used 31 every season since he turned pro at Middlesbrough. Hamer's been 34 every season for us, including when he's been first-choice. 

Wouldn't read anything into it. 

I didn’t know that about Wheater. Good to know. Thanks. 

Archived