Now former MD Karl Evans

47 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Have you just tried to use my comment about Natalie (Passed from a life president of the club at Southport) To show that she did a good job???

Just used it to illustrate how folks have preconceived ideas about somebody they don't know or how they will turn out. Did she?

48 minutes ago, singe said:

So what did she achieve? 

No idea, don't follow the everyday ins and outs of the club hierarchy like you, got better things to do in life. That wasn't the point though as you well know.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Just used it to illustrate how folks have preconceived ideas about somebody they don't know or how they will turn out. Did she?

No idea, don't follow the everyday ins and outs of the club hierarchy like you, got better things to do in life. That wasn't the point though as you well know.

So why is your default position to defend the  club? 

I don't follow the ins and outs, just post when the club changes staff. which has ended up being very often, and why I started the staff thread on it.

But even then, the CEO/MD is not a behind the scenes job, much of their work should be public facing or public consequences. 

And you know very well the output. But you choose deflection. Must not criticise. 

15 minutes ago, singe said:

So why is your default position to defend the  club? 

I don't follow the ins and outs, just post when the club changes staff. which has ended up being very often, and why I started the staff thread on it.

But even then, the CEO/MD is not a behind the scenes job, much of their work should be public facing or public consequences. 

And you know very well the output. But you choose deflection. Must not criticise. 

Just how is my previous post defending the club? It presents a valid alternative that we know little or nothing of the new incumbent but you had to pipe up with your two penn'orth. 

By all means criticise away but have some balance with it-something you seem to struggle with as others have pointed out. It is no coincidence that your posting output has increased this week with the recent changes, a change which has little or no relevance to the majority of supporters. Can you name many other football MD's?

Didn't see much of you last week when new signings were being made and the team won.

My default position is not to always defend the club. It is to present an alternative to the constant negative spin you and half a dozen or so others constantly present on here. Emphasis on constant.

Know idea what you mean by choosing deflection.

Finally I will add that it is a damn shame that another poster today on another thread feels he has to almost apologise for being seen as a scab for buying season tickets for the club he loves. Much of this ends up at your and others door for your postings on here. Terrible.

51 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Just how is my previous post defending the club? It presents a valid alternative that we know little or nothing of the new incumbent but you had to pipe up with your two penn'orth. 

By all means criticise away but have some balance with it-something you seem to struggle with as others have pointed out. It is no coincidence that your posting output has increased this week with the recent changes, a change which has little or no relevance to the majority of supporters. Can you name many other football MD's?

Didn't see much of you last week when new signings were being made and the team won.

My default position is not to always defend the club. It is to present an alternative to the constant negative spin you and half a dozen or so others constantly present on here. Emphasis on constant.

Know idea what you mean by choosing deflection.

Finally I will add that it is a damn shame that another poster today on another thread feels he has to almost apologise for being seen as a scab for buying season tickets for the club he loves. Much of this ends up at your and others door for your postings on here. Terrible.

You know the rules Whittles.  If you aren’t attacking the regime, you’re defending it.  The moral bastions of OWTB will soon let you know.

This used to be a good place to have a laugh and talk about Latics.  Yes, most of it was about us being shit but different opinions were welcomed.  Hopefully, we will get back to that one day and some of the respected posters who have taken a hiatus will stop just being lurkers.

Sadly, a growing group want it to be an echo chamber full of confirmation bias.  They appear on virtually every thread attacking those with a slightly positive view, or in your case, a neutral view.  I get that people don’t agree with lags and a number of others but their opinions are just as valid.

I get it.  The regime sucks.  No argument at all from me.  Every thread doesn’t need to disappear down the same fucking rabbit hole though.

12 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

You know the rules Whittles.  If you aren’t attacking the regime, you’re defending it.  The moral bastions of OWTB will soon let you know.

This used to be a good place to have a laugh and talk about Latics.  Yes, most of it was about us being shit but different opinions were welcomed.  Hopefully, we will get back to that one day and some of the respected posters who have taken a hiatus will stop just being lurkers.

Sadly, a growing group want it to be an echo chamber full of confirmation bias.  They appear on virtually every thread attacking those with a slightly positive view, or in your case, a neutral view.  I get that people don’t agree with lags and a number of others but their opinions are just as valid.

I get it.  The regime sucks.  No argument at all from me.  Every thread doesn’t need to disappear down the same fucking rabbit hole though.

Spot on

21 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

A little bit unfair that, I would say most of us are open minded enough to accept both sides of the argument although we have our own take on it. Personally I would rather have a face to face discussion over a pint it is easier to gauge a person's stance. Social media has no emotions. 

35 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

In all honestly what is there to have a laugh about.  Everybody is entitled to their opinion.  I actually find it refreshing to hear an alternative point of view.  But you have to understand why most of us are all bitter miserable cunts.   

41 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Absolutely spot on. 

What I find a particular highlight is most people’s absolute inability to see it from another perspective to their own. It begs the question - why come on a message board if you don’t want a different opinion to your own.

If you offer anything slightly positive or that doesn’t fit the popular narrative your either shot down or seen as an AL sympathiser. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Absolutely spot on. 

What I find a particular highlight is most people’s absolute inability to see it from another perspective to their own. It begs the question - why come on a message board if you don’t want a different opinion to your own.

If you offer anything slightly positive or that doesn’t fit the popular narrative your either shot down or seen as an AL sympathiser. 

Or you are taking the reply too personally. Sometimes it's better to read the response with a neutral stance. 

14 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Or you are taking the reply too personally. Sometimes it's better to read the response with a neutral stance. 

Not at all mate. It’s only a message board. 😂 Agree about having a pint. It’s much easier to have a natter in the pub- it’s difficult to get context with text talk. 

11 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Which is exactly the point in my post above.

Look again at Singe’s response to the vanilla post by Whittles where he is accusing him of “always defending the club”, even when he wasn’t.  This type of cognitive bias is triggered on virtually every thread at some point by a number of posters.  People remember usernames and invariably attack the poster, not the post.

The motive seems to be to stifle alternative opinion and like I said, everyone’s views are valid.  It just gets a bit boring when every thread ends up the same way.

Anyway, here’s to some football and 3 points tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Which is exactly the point in my post above.

Look again at Singe’s response to the vanilla post by Whittles where he is accusing him of “always defending the club”, even when he wasn’t.  This type of cognitive bias is triggered on virtually every thread at some point by a number of posters.  People remember usernames and invariably attack the poster, not the post.

The motive seems to be to stifle alternative opinion and like I said, everyone’s views are valid.  It just gets a bit boring when every thread ends up the same way.

Anyway, here’s to some football and 3 points tomorrow.

Yes, look again.

"No idea, don't follow the everyday ins and outs of the club hierarchy like you, got better things to do in life"

Nothing vanilla about that.

What has she achieved? It was a fair question and open, an invite to give an opinion, in reponse to the assertion that she was not given a fair chance. PErfectly reasonable.

Rebuffed with a childish insult thrown in,

I do miss the ablity to discuss.

Anyway,I know the rules: if were not defending the club, we must be atttacking it.

15 minutes ago, singe said:

Yes, look again.

"No idea, don't follow the everyday ins and outs of the club hierarchy like you, got better things to do in life"

Nothing vanilla about that.

What has she achieved? It was a fair question and open, an invite to give an opinion, in reponse to the assertion that she was not given a fair chance. PErfectly reasonable.

Rebuffed with a childish insult thrown in,

I do miss the ablity to discuss.

Anyway,I know the rules: if were not defending the club, we must be atttacking it.

Fuck me mate, you’re way better than that reply, especially your final sentence.

You asked him for an opinion about Natalie and he replied (probably like 99% of us would) with, “no idea”.  Where did he defend the club in that one sentence in reply to you?  “Nowhere”, is the answer despite your accusation and subsequent admonishment for “deflecting and not actively criticising”!  That seems to be telling him what opinions he should be expressing?!!

So the last part of his sentence is a teeny bit passive aggressive but it’s hardly a childish insult.

Some pre first game of the season emotion overspilling on here last night me thinks fellas 

The OWTB forum is about sharing our differing opinions on matters involving our Club 

Being honest,  I have read some viewpoints n thought ‘how many moons orbit your planet ffs’ but generally its like watching a game with your mates then laughing at someone sat next to you who watches a total different game to you 🤷‍♂️

Football stirs the caveman within all of us at times and the ‘mods’ ban or suspend abusive posters so we can continue to air our thoughts in a reasonable environment 

Just dont expect everyone to agree with what you post

1 hour ago, underdog said:

Trust update today

We have been at Boundary Park for a meeting with Karl, the new CEO at Latics…

A lot of “we discussed this” with “we agreed it needed improving” and not a lot of substance - BBC interview and North Stand the most prominent examples 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

A lot of “we discussed this” with “we agreed it needed improving” and not a lot of substance - BBC interview and North Stand the most prominent examples 

He's barely been there a week, hardly likely to be making big commitments. 

Was more bothered that his experiences may lead to after dinner bookings. Doubt whether Bury and Macc fans think it's all just a series of jolly anecdotes. 

11 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

TBF, Trust AGM is next week, so there might be a change of personnel at the Trust end. 

It's planting the seeds as well as engagement with supporters organisations, listening first hand. 

PTB lads I think are in today as well.

Its good that he has in one week, met both supporter organisations. 

Its a start rather than being fobbed off.

Trust update today

We have been at Boundary Park for a meeting with Karl, the new CEO at Latics…

It is good that he met with Trust Oldham but it’s all a bit underwhelming unfortunately- let’s hope that the next meeting has more substance.

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It is good that he met with Trust Oldham but it’s all a bit underwhelming unfortunately- let’s hope that the next meeting has more substance.

We get it. We did not want to go in with "we demand kinda attitude".  Especially the Trust personnel who went in, might not be around after next week's AGM and the tone had been set.

Its a tentative step, getting the MOU signed off and the first meeting booked in is the key step. Getting the club to commit to regular meetings with set agenda should help with the transparency and openness on key items like finances.

Getting the feel good factor back,  pride in our club, better fan engagement.....well the CEO has a task on his hands

We did discuss the events that happened at Bury Football Club, especially in light of the sad developments at Macclesfield Town. There’s no doubt there’s a good after dinner talk in this at some point in the future.

As an aside, what an absolutely ridiculous thing to write. He watched the groundwork laid for a similar club to us going to the wall. The red flags are all over the place at Latics and the Trust should be absolutely shitting themselves about the same happening to us. The events and stories are not entertainment and, though I accept it may just be unfortunate phrasing, the levity insinuated is really worrying and symptomatic of why so many fans have so little faith in the Trust however well meaning those involved are.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

He's barely been there a week, hardly likely to be making big commitments. 

I’ve worked with a few CEO’s in my time. The best ones get up to speed very quickly, especially if they are properly briefed. A week is long enough for him to grasp the main issues within the club and to form an opinion and a plan of action. 

We get it. We did not want to go in with "we demand kinda attitude".  Especially the Trust personnel who went in, might not be around after next week's AGM and the tone had been set.

Its a tentative step, getting the MOU signed off and the first meeting booked in is the key step. Getting the club to commit to regular meetings with set agenda should help with the transparency and openness on key items like finances.

Getting the feel good factor back,  pride in our club, better fan engagement.....well the CEO has a task on his hands

I respect you and the work you do. 

But hasn’t the trust attempted to be the nice guy to many times and failed ? It’s time to actually change stance and pressure apposed to be told what you (the trust) want to hear and nothing actually happening. 

Archived