Morecambe (A) League Cup

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Ok so because we are crap we need to launch it to 2 lumps . ..remind me ..., why are we 19th in the bottom league 

Partly because we spend too much time pratting about playing pointless passes between the goalkeeper and the back four. We create nothing from it and quite often lose possession either through a misplaced pass or poor control. We need to get the ball forward much more quickly and play in the opponents half. Get the ball in their box. Something might happen!! One things for sure, nothing is going to happen on the halfway line or in our half. Get it forward!!! 

21 minutes ago, Luis Enrique said:

This thread seems to be 50% complaining our only tactic is launching long balls up to short forwards who can’t win it and 50% complaining we shouldn’t try to play out from the back and should launch it instead. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Because both tactics are both right and wrong. It's knowing when and when not to play them. And you have to have players who are capable of thinking and knowing when and which tactic to use. It ain't rocket science.

There were quite a few things that didn't seem right tonight.  Obviously the goal itself was poorly defended and set up by ourselves, but having Fage and Badan as our wide midfielders wasn't going to give Dearnley and McAleny much help.  Neither really did much to threaten their full backs.  Badan didn't look like a bad player but nor did look in his natural position.

Playing out from the back takes a certain quality of players to be able to do it, even then it takes time for a team to be able to do it with cohesion.  Unless Kewell knows something we don't, he's not in a job which allows you the time to develop a style of play like that.

Garrity and Whelan just seemed to move it sideways all night.  Hamer didn't look convincing at all, Jombati I like but he's a bit of a scary player to have there.  CBJ and Piergianni looked pretty underwhelming to be honest.  Lawlor...meh.

At least Grant and DKD offered more of an attacking threat, albeit limited.

I don't understand how it took so long for Rowe to come on.  He must still be carrying some sort of knock as that game was crying out for a player like him. 

I know there's clearly things that have gone on behind the scenes with Wheater, but with the descent we've had over the last few years I still don't understand why the hierarchy seems so hellbent on marginalising experienced and talented players.  Yes wages are something to consider, but more often than not the players on these wages are valuable enough to the team to be worth them.

Even if we build a decent squad with a decent manager/head coach I have no faith that the hierarchy won't meddle with things and mess them up.

Dearnley is a winger, McAuley is a 10, Grant is a 10 (I think, who knows). Badan a left back ? Jombati a full back? Hamer and DKD raffle winners. 

Our only proper striker played 8 mins, and our club captain didn’t make the match day squad. 

We have more left backs than centre midfield players. 

Dylan Fage who is now playing 10 ? 

Hard to see where we are going wrong, but what the fuck is going on ? This can’t be Kewell but then you look at his previous record and it bloody could be! 

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Dearnley is a winger, McAuley is a 10, Grant is a 10 (I think, who knows). Badan a left back ? Jombati a full back? Hamer and DKD raffle winners. 

Our only proper striker played 8 mins, and our club captain didn’t make the match day squad. 

We have more left backs than centre midfield players. 

Dylan Fage who is now playing 10 ? 

Hard to see where we are going wrong, but what the fuck is going on ? This can’t be Kewell but then you look at his previous record and it bloody could be! 

I disagree on Dearnley. I don’t think he’s a winger at all. Neil Adams was a winger. Rick Holden was a winger. I see Dearnley as an inside forward. Someone to support - and run off - the main striker. Should be Rowe and Dearnley up front in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I disagree on Dearnley. I don’t think he’s a winger at all. Neil Adams was a winger. Rick Holden was a winger. I see Dearnley as an inside forward. Someone to support - and run off - the main striker. Should be Rowe and Dearnley up front in my opinion.

Completely agree on a 442. But a 433 he should be on the right, Rowe middle, take your pick for the left. McAleny behind Rowe. Whelan and Garrity CM. 

Id personally have grant on the left, as it’s him or DKD. 

We look very lightweight throughout tonight and I believe  we are going to get to bullied against some of the bigger sides in this league, All well and good winning the possession battle but counts for nothing if we come off losing.I know (radio interview) Dino wanted to toughen us up and get some big lads in but we  will never know , not sure if tippy tappy football will get us out of this league just to lightweight..

1 hour ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Of course it so ...so don’t cut the grass flood the pitch and and launch it......I am sure you will be able to recommend some lumps who would relish it😀

Well the alternative beautiful football from the back to one lightweight up front is working wonderfully well isn't it?

I’ve come to the conclusion that if these players are the best of what came in on trial, then the real problem is that, as a club, we are not attracting the right quality of player. Most L2 clubs would have a big turnover of players each season, but whether our reputation or our budget constrains us - it seems our managers are hampered by the narrow choices they have. 

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't care what formation or what tactics you play this crop of players isnt good enough period.

This.  Recruitment again extremely questionable - 5 full backs but only 2 centre backs (with Wheater frozen out), 2 very similar centre midfielders (with McCann binned off), DKD/McAleny/Dearnley/Grant very similar style players.

Kewell - on the showing so far he's just another one in a long list of coaches that seem to focus on winning the passing but with little threat on offer.

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Kewell - on the showing so far he's just another one in a long list of coaches that seem to focus on winning the passing but with little threat on offer.

Kewell came here with a poor managerial record. He had an unsuccessful season at Crawley followed by a failed 14 game stint at Notts County. After two years away from the English game he is handed the poison chalice that is Manage/Head Coach of League 2 Oldham. The question is how did he get the job? The answer is that he has a longstanding friendship with Abdallah.

Meanwhile Selim Benachour quietly goes about his business with the Youth team...

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Whether the players are good enough or not is debatable, but the team structure is one of the most dysfunctional I've ever seen. 

Who's to blame for that?

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Kewell came here with a poor managerial record. He had an unsuccessful season at Crawley followed by a failed 14 game stint at Notts County. After two years away from the English game he is handed the poison chalice that is Manage/Head Coach of League 2 Oldham. The question is how did he get the job? The answer is that he has a longstanding friendship with Abdallah.

Meanwhile Selim Benachour quietly goes about his business with the Youth team...

He did about as well as could be expected with Crawley. 14 games is no time to class anyone as a failure especially at a basket case club like Notts were.

43 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He did about as well as could be expected with Crawley. 14 games is no time to class anyone as a failure especially at a basket case club like Notts were.

The question is though, how long is enough time when the players turn out performances like they did against Orient and Morecambe?

How long does it need before it becomes clear that a manager simply doesn’t have what it takes?

Ultimately the responsibility lies with the manager (though we all know that he is hampered by the owners and their approach).

On the evidence so far, and I know it is only now two games, it doesn’t look promising. I haven’t written him off just yet but I’ll ask the question again...

How long is enough time?

Just now, TheBigDog said:

The question is though, how long is enough time when the players turn out performances like they did against Orient and Morecambe?

How long does it need before it becomes clear that a manager simply doesn’t have what it takes?

Ultimately the responsibility lies with the manager (though we all know that he is hampered by the owners and their approach).

On the evidence so far, and I know it is only now two games, it doesn’t look promising. I haven’t written him off just yet but I’ll ask the question again...

How long is enough time?

I hadn't written him off, till I heard him say last nights showing was excellent.

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

How long is enough time?

He's Head Coach not Manager. In that scenario you are relying on those doing the recruitment.

Archived