Morecambe (A) League Cup

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baffles me why anyone with the slightest knowledge of football would expect footballers of lower league / non league standard to try and adopt the teachings of the Pep Guardiola’s of this world by playing out from the keeper 🤷‍♂️

Who in the right mind would see even some Premier League players on tv struggling with the concept and say “we’ll give that a go”

Best to keep to basics:

442 formation most games

put players in their best position

clear your defence early

pass and move

work their defence

play for your shirt 

BUILD A TEAM 

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He didn't say that surely?

That's very worrying.

Wow, he actually did!  I thought he was known for pissing his players off by working them too hard?!  It was a pretty desperate performance which could only be excused by the team still getting used to a new way of playing, but to call it excellent is just wrong.

Does he think that because there weren't any fans in the ground no one saw it?

Don't expect him to slag players off but call it as it is, the fans aren't stupid.  We didn't have a shot on target til the daisy cutter in the 87th minute.

Whilst I agree with the manager/head coach when he says that it will take time, I cannot understand for the life of me how anyone could describe that performance as ‘Excellent’.

Personally I would describe it as toothless, inept, lacking any sort of creativity ..... etc etc.
We managed one shot on goal, and even that was a weak effort. There was Piergianni’s header just over the bar but other than that there was precious little action in the Morecambe penalty area.

Far too much time spent passing the ball along the back line producing absolutely nothing.

Being allowed time is one thing, and every manager should be allowed time, but if he’s holding that performance up as an example of what he considers excellent then I fear we could be in for a long, depressing season. Another one!!!

I’m the first to acknowledge that managers and supporters see different things in a game, but that performance was very poor in my eyes.

Come on Harry we need a LOT more than that!!

2 minutes ago, Luis Enrique said:

I’ve no idea whether any of the managers / head coaches we’ve had in the past couple of years are any good or not.

The people signing and picking the players aren’t up to it. Without sorting that out, no one has a 

3 minutes ago, Luis Enrique said:

I’ve no idea whether any of the managers / head coaches we’ve had in the past couple of years are any good or not.

The people signing and picking the players aren’t up to it. Without sorting that out, no one has a chance.

True 👍

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No manager worth his salt (well maybe Mourinho would) is going to get stuck into players publicly a week into the season.

I know you like to check which way the wind is blowing before giving your opinion eyresy but I don't think anyone is expecting him to be getting stuck in to them.  Just for him to to call a poor performance what it was and not try to kid the fans.  There are plenty of ways of doing that without criticising individual players.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

I know you like to check which way the wind is blowing before giving your opinion eyresy but I don't think anyone is expecting him to be getting stuck in to them.  Just for him to to call a poor performance what it was and not try to kid the fans.  There are plenty of ways of doing that without criticising individual players.

Scoring cheap brownie points with fans is easy. There doesn't seem to be much recognition from fans that this a new team a week into the season very low on league experience in some areas, just the same old 'We are Oldham, we should be beating X" rhetoric.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Scoring cheap brownie points with fans is easy. There doesn't seem to be much recognition from fans that this a new team a week into the season very low on league experience in some areas, just the same old 'We are Oldham, we should be beating X" rhetoric.

There are definitely mitigating circumstances, the team needs time to gel, some players need to acclimatise to League football. I understand that, but would you yourself describe last nights performance as ‘excellent’?

1 minute ago, Gary1906 said:

There are definitely mitigating circumstances, the team needs time to gel, some players need to acclimatise to League football. I understand that, but would you yourself describe last nights performance as ‘excellent’?

Didn't see it. I certainly wasn't surprised by the result though.

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He's towing the Mo line that's obvious.

Like Scholes he won't stand it for for long and will walk IMO.

The new imported youth team coach will disastrously step in and only by other clubs going to the wall will we avoid  relegation.

2 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Until I watched Kewell’s post match interview I would not have believed anyone would have thought of yesterday’s performance as anything other than very poor. 😮

4 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I've seen hundreds of Latics matches and for 80 minutes it was as dire as it can get.

I was once told by a once great manager of our club that 'you can't bullshit the fans' and Kewell should really take heed of this, of course he doesn't have to dig out the whole team after 2 powder puff goal less borefests but he could of just admitted it was poor and there is plenty to work on.

Having said that he must realise you can't polish a turd and be wondering where the fuck he goes from here, oh well big six pointer on Saturday against last season perennial whipping boys to look forward to.

8 hours ago, steveecky said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that if these players are the best of what came in on trial, then the real problem is that, as a club, we are not attracting the right quality of player. Most L2 clubs would have a big turnover of players each season, but whether our reputation or our budget constrains us - it seems our managers are hampered by the narrow choices they have. 

The players brought in on trial were from Mo's agent mates. The choice is therefore very limited. Mo and HK discuss them and Hk agrees with Mo about which players get signed.

Archived