Morecambe (A) League Cup

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

The players brought in on trial were from Mo's agent mates. The choice is therefore very limited. Mo and HK discuss them and Hk agrees with Mo about which players get signed.

Don't think there were many agents when big Joe brought in some gems.

They have too much say now and its certainly not working for us.

The danger sign was as owner who was an agent himself which has led to this IMO.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don't think there were many agents when big Joe brought in some gems.

They have too much say now and its certainly not working for us.

The danger sign was as owner who was an agent himself which has led to this IMO.

World's changed but there are good and bad agents just like there are good and bad sporting directors

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

World's changed but there are good and bad agents just like there are good and bad sporting directors

The football world has changed for the worst for lower division clubs since the inception the greedy league. 

Then again I'm a dinosaur and have to accept this is evolution.

I'm just glad I lived in a world before the parasites took hold.

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The football world has changed for the worst for lower division clubs since the inception the greedy league. 

Then again I'm a dinosaur and have to accept this is evolution.

I'm just glad I lived in a world before the parasites took hold.

Yep. The greedy league, Bosman, transfer windows and the inability to sign loan players outside the windows, has had a very detrimental effect on L1 & 2 clubs.

43 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Yep. The greedy league, Bosman, transfer windows and the inability to sign loan players outside the windows, has had a very detrimental effect on L1 & 2 clubs.

All true but it's impossible to put up any sort of argument against Bosman. 

38 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Presume that won't apply from 2021, given the UK is no longer signed up to EU freedom of movement

Doubt it. Some changes on free movement, but clubs still have to play nice with their European counterparts. Plus if the ethical angle means anything, if it’s not right for clubs to hold player registrations and demand fees after contracts expire then that would remain true regardless of Brexit.

https://footyanalyst.com/bosman-ruling-brexit-and-the-impact-on-football/

21 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Doubt it. Some changes on free movement, but clubs still have to play nice with their European counterparts. Plus if the ethical angle means anything, if it’s not right for clubs to hold player registrations and demand fees after contracts expire then that would remain true regardless of Brexit.

https://footyanalyst.com/bosman-ruling-brexit-and-the-impact-on-football/

Sort of my point, any continuation will be largely voluntary.

I can definitely see the EFL getting pushed towards putting a restriction back on the number of non-UK players in matchday squads for example.  The Premier League less so.

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Eh? Bosman and freedom of movement are entirely different things. 

Read the link Crusoe posted.

The Bosman ruling is based on the EU freedom of movement of workers.

There are other reasons the Premier League may choose to apply parts of it in the UK in future, but it's no longer mandatory

39 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Sort of my point, any continuation will be largely voluntary.

I can definitely see the EFL getting pushed towards putting a restriction back on the number of non-UK players in matchday squads for example.  The Premier League less so.

Still think it’s unlikely. Look at where the power is: PL clubs (and their European counterparts). Freedom of movement is in their interest more than not (for signings). They’ll apply enough pressure to keep in it place. Where is the demand for it to be revoked coming from?

Plus, like I said, there’s an ethical angle. I have issues with clubs holding players to ransom at the end of a contract. It’s not a good look.

8 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

There are other reasons the Premier League may choose to apply parts of it in the UK in future, but it's no longer mandatory

The main issue of the Bosman ruling was to enable players to move without a transfer fee at the end of their contract. No way is that changing. 

11 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Also: while the European ruling may no longer apply, the concept is baked into UEFA rules. Could see competition rules that require clubs to adhere – not through national law, but membership rules. Don’t want to comply? Fine, you’re not eligible for the big money European tournaments.

I think that the PL clubs, who shout the loudest, have the money and the media attention, will set the agenda. And I’m not sure how binning Bosman is in their interest. 

I could certainly see more squad rules and nationality restrictions from the FA (with reluctant PL support), but that’s about work permits not contracts.

21 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Im afraid it is mandatory the Bosman ruling will not be changing. 

15 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Also: while the European ruling may no longer apply, the concept is baked into UEFA rules. Could see competition rules that require clubs to adhere – not through national law, but membership rules. Don’t want to comply? Fine, you’re not eligible for the big money European tournaments.

I think that the PL clubs, who shout the loudest, have the money and the media attention, will set the agenda. And I’m not sure how binning Bosman is in their interest. 

I could certainly see more squad rules and nationality restrictions from the FA (with reluctant PL support), but that’s about work permits not contracts.

Again, only to a point.

Turkey, Russia, Ukraine are all in UEFA, and all their leagues have restrictions in the number of foreigners on the pitch or in the squad.  Their teams are still in the Champions League, last I checked.

Given the current atmosphere, I can definitely see the next time England fail badly at an international tournament (2021 probably), there will be cries that this is due to too many foreigners at the top clubs, and the pressure will start from there.  I think the EFL would bring the restrictions in before the PL though.

I agree the issue with contracts and transfer fees is more complicated, largely because FIFA have their own rules on this which were amended (largely due to Bosman), and these won't change after Brexit.

43 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Educate myself Hmmm Ive had worse.

The premier attracts the top talent from Europe and if thats the case I imagine they will want to fall into line with what Uefa want you give the examples of Russia Ukraine and Turkey none of which attracts the level of top talent the premier league does. As all those articles say by putting restrictions in place they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Which ofcourse would be in the spirit of Brexit so that might happen :lol:

My opinion on the match is that we were trying to do the right thing but aren't quite composed enough to get it right. We are a player light in the middle.

Morecambe commentators also mentioned they were 'lucky to have matched us'.

Not picking your best CB is never gona help either.

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

My opinion on the match is that we were trying to do the right thing but aren't quite composed enough to get it right. We are a player light in the middle.

Morecambe commentators also mentioned they were 'lucky to have matched us'.

Not picking your best CB is never gona help either.

Morecambe have conceded 12 goals in their 2 games since. I wonder where we went wrong?

Lack of composure in the lines then panicking and launching it at heads instead of in behind. I honest believe we are only two players away from being a good team. Recent transfer rumours give me a bit of hope that HK's thinking is aligned w mine. Not sure whether that's a good thing, but we need to get moving pretty sharpish.

Archived