Macc Gone

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if they'd have been more viable had the EFL not bent the rules to relegate them

Wound up over less than two weeks of Pogba's salary.  Given the amount of money in the game, it's crazy this is happening.

Let's not forget either that Bolton have just promised to pay just £3.5m of a £10m bill over a year.  They'll get to the rest some other time, promise...

It is essential that EFL look at reforms

It is essential in the meantime, all fans of all clubs rally around the FSA sustain the game campaign. New article today on how we as individual fans can help. I logged my support of it and sent it onto Jim McMahon several weeks ago......come to think of it no response yet oh Jim......hmmm

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/time-for-action-sustain-the-game/

Your Trust supports this initiative and is on the list of supporter organisations.

Your acting Trust Chair has been actively contributing to this campaign and hopefully, the new Trust board will embrace its 5 key principles.

There are weekly updates on the Trust website and on the pinned Trust page above

Cheers 

33 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Wonder if they'd have been more viable had the EFL not bent the rules to relegate them

Wound up over less than two weeks of Pogba's salary.  Given the amount of money in the game, it's crazy this is happening.

Let's not forget either that Bolton have just promised to pay just £3.5m of a £10m bill over a year.  They'll get to the rest some other time, promise...

I think its more the amount of time they've owed it for rather than the amount. I haven't enough fingers to count how many times we've been in court for similar sums but always paid off in the time frame allotted

Very sad. 

Bury gone

Macc gone. 

I think the football landscape is changing.  It’s now far more prevalent  to take a non league side and grow them-  Salford/Harrogate/Fleetwood than it is to fund ailing traditional league clubs. . . . like us. 😩

I think EFL membership will look very different in the coming years. 

28 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Meanwhile Sky Sports have spent the last hour talking about Gareth Bale returning to Tottenham. Just about sums up the modern game doesn't it.

Villa have just paid £20m for Arsenals back up goalie. The article about Macc cant even be seen on the BBC website. The whole game is lopsided, and stinks. I wouldn't be surprised without reform if there are not 10-20 more teams, including us,following suit in the next 10 years as more clubs throw money trying to keep up with those at the top, and it is not sustainable. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Very sad. 

Bury gone

Macc gone. 

I think the football landscape is changing.  It’s now far more prevalent  to take a non league side and grow them-  Salford/Harrogate/Fleetwood than it is to fund ailing traditional league clubs. . . . like us. 😩

I think EFL membership will look very different in the coming years. 

Aa clubs like Salford Harrogate and Fleetwood won't be able to sustain it and drop out like Rushden and Diamonds.

It's an EFL mess.

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Aa clubs like Salford Harrogate and Fleetwood won't be able to sustain it and drop out like Rushden and Diamonds.

It's an EFL mess.

Indeed. Without the fan base to grow further a lot of the non traditional league clubs hit a ceiling sooner rather than later. What happened to Fylde to see their rise end? 

47 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's an EFL mess.

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Indeed. Without the fan base to grow further a lot of the non traditional league clubs hit a ceiling sooner rather than later. What happened to Fylde to see their rise end? 

Both completely moot to my point. 

Never mind. 

Very sad, in particular for the poor Macc supporters, and given their history: 

"The beginnings of the club can be traced in part to the 8th Cheshire Rifle Volunteers who played their first match in 1873. The Olympic Cricket Club also played football in Macclesfield, and in October 1876 the two organisations amalgamated to form Macclesfield Football Club. Initially, alternate rugby and football matches were played but gradually football became the main game with the eleven aside format fully adopted for the 1879-90 season. In 1891 they moved to the Moss Rose."

Sadly, I don't think Macc will be the last club to disappear!  

1 hour ago, youngen said:

Villa have just paid £20m for Arsenals back up goalie. The article about Macc cant even be seen on the BBC website. The whole game is lopsided, and stinks. I wouldn't be surprised without reform if there are not 10-20 more teams, including us,following suit in the next 10 years as more clubs throw money trying to keep up with those at the top, and it is not sustainable. 

That (in bold) is shocking. I'm sick of the amount of airtime the BBC, supposedly a national broadcaster funded by all of us, gives to the lower leagues compared to its sycophantic devotion to the Premier League.

When I logged onto the EFL live scores on the BBC website last night - about 8.15pm - they hadn't even bothered to update several scores for the 7.45pm kick-offs, including ours. If you clicked on our match, you briefly saw the 1-0 scoreline before it reverted to the KO time. Pathetic. Still, they've got to fund Lineker's £1.3m and Shearer's £450k somehow.

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I wasn't replying to your point!! 

And seems very relevant anyway. Isn't the point that the top table is getting to be more and more a closed shop? Traditional smaller clubs are financially hamstrung and rising like we did thirty years ago is an increasingly remote possibility. 

While newer small clubs just don't have the resources, including fanbase, to rise much further than, say, mud League One. 

2 hours ago, youngen said:

38 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That (in bold) is shocking. I'm sick of the amount of airtime the BBC, supposedly a national broadcaster funded by all of us, gives to the lower leagues compared to its sycophantic devotion to the Premier League.

When I logged onto the EFL live scores on the BBC website last night - about 8.15pm - they hadn't even bothered to update several scores for the 7.45pm kick-offs, including ours. If you clicked on our match, you briefly saw the 1-0 scoreline before it reverted to the KO time. Pathetic. Still, they've got to fund Lineker's £1.3m and Shearer's £450k somehow.

Not true. It’s there on the front page - it’s even linked by kowenicki earlier in this thread ffs. 

48 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And seems very relevant anyway. Isn't the point that the top table is getting to be more and more a closed shop? Traditional smaller clubs are financially hamstrung and rising like we did thirty years ago is an increasingly remote possibility. 

While newer small clubs just don't have the resources, including fanbase, to rise much further than, say, mud League One. 

Absolutely. 

Which is why the landscape/EFL membership is changing. If you have a few quid would you rather invest in a league one/two steady club where even if you do go up you’ll come back straight back down. 

Or a club in the conference north, where you can three/four/five promotions. Ok you still reach top of league one and stop but you have a lot more fun at a similar cost to a league club standing still.

It’s a no brainier. 

24 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Burton Albion, Wycombe Wanderers and one of A.F.C. Wimbledon and MK Dons giving the lie to that?

Not really no. The only one that possibly did break the ceiling was Wigan. FA Cup and a decade (?) in the PL

Southend also given a bit more time to pay the tax man just short of £500,000. If they can't pay it now, they aren't going to be able to pay in a months time.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Still, they've got to fund Lineker's £1.3m and Shearer's £450k somehow.

It's £1.75m. for Lineker and £490,000 for Shearer, plus all the other ridiculous salaries. They have plenty of sports presenters who can do Lineker's job for much less. Why they they think he's so great I don't know. He earns more from outside the BBC.

Archived