Stevenage (A)

16 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Ffs the club is on its knees and people are worried what away strip we are playing in only at Latics hi. 

No ...it is a more significant issue ...it is about club / fan communication  and the profile of the club 

it is our 125 year anniversary shirt and if we only wear it 3 times it is ridiculous...

If football fans see us playing in red or in black in an away game they will not bat an eyelid. On the other hand if they saw us playing in red at home they would wonder why and find out it is our 125th anniversary....a missed opprtunity to promote the club

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oafc 123 said:

The problem is furlough only pays a maximum of £2000 a month, which I'm guessing is a lot less than his basic salary.  

If I had a contract saying I was on x amount a week. I'd expect to be paid that.

Not in the event of a worldwide pandemic. I don't even get 2 grand a month if I do double my hours! For a player who's played the majority of his career in the upper leagues on good money and is still on good money now, its disrespecting the whole country where millions are either out of a job or takin pay cuts and goin to food banks to live, or jus plain dying from the disease. And he's cryin about 2 months of his wages bein cracked down. Everyone has an agreed pay packet, doesn't mean we can argue when it gets dropped due to the whole world virtually going in to shut down

9 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

No ...it is a more significant issue ...it is about club / fan communication  and the profile of the club 

it is our 125 year anniversary shirt and if we only wear it 3 times it is ridiculous...

If football fans see us playing in red or in black in an away game they will not bat an eyelid. On the other hand if they saw us playing in red at home they would wonder why and find out it is our 125th anniversary....a missed opprtunity to promote the club

Magister is back.

48 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Not in the event of a worldwide pandemic. I don't even get 2 grand a month if I do double my hours! For a player who's played the majority of his career in the upper leagues on good money and is still on good money now, its disrespecting the whole country where millions are either out of a job or takin pay cuts and goin to food banks to live, or jus plain dying from the disease. And he's cryin about 2 months of his wages bein cracked down. Everyone has an agreed pay packet, doesn't mean we can argue when it gets dropped due to the whole world virtually going in to shut down

Sorry but your talking complete bollocks tonight, who in there right mind is going to settle for 2k a month when they are contracted to get around 20k, you telling me you'd find a 90% pay cut acceptable. 

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Your wage is irrelevant to what he gets paid.  Its ok saying he should be happy getting whatever he can from the government, but he's still contracted by the club to be paid a certain amount each week.   

The problem is Wheater will probably leave Latics then take Latics to a tribunal, when it would of been probably much cheaper just to pay the remainder of his wage. 

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Sorry but your talking complete bollocks tonight, who in there right mind is going to settle for 2k a month when they are contracted to get around 20k, you telling me you'd find a 90% pay cut acceptable. 

Don’t forget, the “around 20k “ is for training and playing football, entertains the crowds.  The pandemic lockdown put most people sitting at home doing nothing. So why would a footballer be worth more sitting on his arse at home then anyone else?

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Don’t forget, the “around 20k “ is for training and playing football, entertains the crowds.  The pandemic lockdown put most people sitting at home doing nothing. So why would a footballer be worth more sitting on his arse at home then anyone else?

How many players at Latics will have a basic wage of more than 2K a month.  4? 5? It wouldn't cost the club that much.

1 hour ago, oafc 123 said:

How many players at Latics will have a basic wage of more than 2K a month.  4? 5? It wouldn't cost the club that much.

4 or 5 earn over 2k a month? All the first team will earn more than that bar the youth players...

So... the morning after a mediocre (at best) performance at Stevenage which ended with a fortunate 3-0 defeat - fortunate in that, if it wasn’t for Lawlor, it could have been far worse - it got me thinking...

We had a fairly decent pre-season results-wise with victories against higher league opposition in Lincoln and Forest. The much maligned #frenchlads had all but been replaced.

Due to Covid-19 restrictions we got little opportunity to see the players on trial in action and so when there was a flurry of signings with said trialists becoming the new #nonleaguelads we, as fans, had to believe that the new guys had impressed in both training and match conditions and were worthy of their contracts.

Surely Kewell and his assistant Maybury, having had time to assess the relative merits of the new boys, had believed they were up to the demands of league two football?

I think many were cautiously optimistic that maybe this change in recruitment policy, backed up by the return of Piergianni, Dearnley and Borthwick-Jackson, could signal a change in fortunes. The result in the first competitive game against Carlisle seemed to augur well for the coming season. 

However, many rightly had doubts given the farcical situation with Wheater and to a lesser extent Rowe as well as the clear lack of league experience running through the team.

However... since then performances and results have plummeted with the team looking lightweight and lacking in technique, confidence and desire to compete. 

It may be deemed harsh to judge individuals after so few games but there are too many who currently look out of their depth in competitive games. 

Garrity, Keillor-Dunn, Badan,  Grant And McEleny all look off the pace and standard required for this league. 

Jameson, Barnett, Blackwood are left on the bench so it’s difficult to judge whether they have the quality.

Hamer and Borthwick-Jackson have been poor.

Harsh? Maybe. And maybe the players brought in were the best that a club in our financial position could realistically afford.

What is patently obvious after yesterday’s result -  and even Kewell has stated to the press that we were ‘terrible’ - is that we are at a new low in our downward spiral.

If Abdallah continues to cling on, then the best we can hope for is that somehow we bring in some quality and experience before the transfer window closes.

And the worst? It doesn’t bear thinking about...

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So... the morning after a mediocre (at best) performance at Stevenage which ended with a fortunate 3-0 defeat - fortunate in that, if it wasn’t for Lawlor, it could have been far worse - it got me thinking...

We had a fairly decent pre-season results-wise with victories against higher league opposition in Lincoln and Forest. The much maligned #frenchlads had all but been replaced.

Due to Covid-19 restrictions we got little opportunity to see the players on trial in action and so when there was a flurry of signings with said trialists becoming the new #nonleaguelads we, as fans, had to believe that the new guys had impressed in both training and match conditions and were worthy of their contracts.

Surely Kewell and his assistant Maybury, having had time to assess the relative merits of the new boys, had believed they were up to the demands of league two football?

I think many were cautiously optimistic that maybe this change in recruitment policy, backed up by the return of Piergianni, Dearnley and Borthwick-Jackson, could signal a change in fortunes. The result in the first competitive game against Carlisle seemed to augur well fro the coming season. 

However, many rightly had doubts given the farcical situation with Wheater and to a lesser extent Rowe as well as the clear lack of league experience running through the team.

However... since then performances and results have plummeted with the team looking lightweight and lacking in technique, confidence and desire to compete. 

It may be deemed harsh to judge individuals after so few games but there are too many who currently look out of their depth in competitive games. 

Garrity, Keillor-Dunn, Badan,  Grant And McEleny all look off the pace and standard required for this league. 

Jameson, Barnett, Blackwood are left on the bench so it’s difficult to judge whether they have the quality.

Harsh? Maybe. And maybe the players brought in were the best that a club in our financial position could realistically afford.

What is patently obvious after yesterday’s result -  and even Kewell has stated to the press that we were ‘terrible’ - is that we are at a new low in our downward spiral.

If Abdallah continues to cling on, then the best we can hope for is that somehow we bring in some quality and experience before the transfer window closes.

Mediocre: “of average quality, not very good”

we were so far below average you’d need a space rocket to get anywhere near.

I completely agree with the rest of your assessment though 

33 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think many were cautiously optimistic that maybe this change in recruitment policy, backed up by the return of Piergianni, Dearnley and Borthwick-Jackson, could signal a change in fortunes. The result in the first competitive game against Carlisle seemed to augur well fro the coming season. 

What pisses me off more than anything- AL is just standing back and watching it happen. We are skint because of covid and yet he can afford to turn down bids for the club? 

His ego is obviously more important than the club, and I hope it ruins him financially because that’s what his contempt for the club deserves. 

15 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Well you either have too much money to care about people or your a dole dosser. People who actually work hard for a living like me, keeping life long injured kids alive, and get a pittance for it, find it sickening that 90% of the country is struggling financially because companies can't afford to pay the contracted wages and then we have a footballer who is crying because he 'only' gets 2 grand a month for a couple month for sitting at home on his arse and when he does actually work its only 3 hours a day running round a field. The argument is oh well they get paid well because the club earns money of their backs, well the club isn't earning money off their backs at the minute are they. Any owner IN THE RIGHT MIND wouldn't pay someone 20 grand a month contracted or not, when the country is on its arse and the club as a business isn't bringing any money in whatsoever. Let's pay all our players full wage over lockdoen shall we and bankrupt the club? Jus because you think he deserves his contracted wage

12 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Well you either have too much money to care about people or your a dole dosser. People who actually work hard for a living like me, keeping life long injured kids alive, and get a pittance for it, find it sickening that 90% of the country is struggling financially because companies can't afford to pay the contracted wages and then we have a footballer who is crying because he 'only' gets 2 grand a month for a couple month for sitting at home on his arse and when he does actually work its only 3 hours a day running round a field. The argument is oh well they get paid well because the club earns money of their backs, well the club isn't earning money off their backs at the minute are they. Any owner IN THE RIGHT MIND wouldn't pay someone 20 grand a month contracted or not, when the country is on its arse and the club as a business isn't bringing any money in whatsoever. Let's pay all our players full wage over lockdoen shall we and bankrupt the club? Jus because you think he deserves his contracted wage

First of all - it’s not his fault he gets the wages he does nor any other footballers it’s the world we live in.

It stinks that bankers get what they get and that it’s always the front line made redundant but that’s capitalism

and “dole dosser” is not only lumping all into one basket it is a fucking disgraceful demeaning and frankly uneducated comment.

there are many people for whom “signing on” is soul destroying and dignity crushing and there but for the grace of god don’t think it can never happen to you and you may need a bit of help - I did and I hated it before I was lucky enough to get back on my feet. I paid my whole life in to the system and if some superiority complexed being like you called me a dole dosser then I’d probably end up in one of those 5 star cushy cells people like you think prison is!

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Whelan covered every played of grass trying to do the work of others who were shirking responsibility, only 21yo with no previous  league experience he's been the one shining light in these last 3 games. 

He desperately needs a McCann alongside him asap.

In the spell before half time he was after the ball all the time. Picking it up off defenders and moving it forwards. Second half I didn't see that much from him. 

HK seems to be blaming Rowe. Saying, when Dearnley was ruled out, Rowe knew what to do. I hope he wasn't thinking that Rowe was to do what Dearnley was expected to do, because they are completely different kind of players. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

In the spell before half time he was after the ball all the time. Picking it up off defenders and moving it forwards. Second half I didn't see that much from him. 

HK seems to be blaming Rowe. Saying, when Dearnley was ruled out, Rowe knew what to do. I hope he wasn't thinking that Rowe was to do what Dearnley was expected to do, because they are completely different kind of players. 

Must have been expecting Rowe to develop extra pace and grow about 3ft to handle the hoof ball

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

First of all - it’s not his fault he gets the wages he does nor any other footballers it’s the world we live in.

It stinks that bankers get what they get and that it’s always the front line made redundant but that’s capitalism

and “dole dosser” is not only lumping all into one basket it is a fucking disgraceful demeaning and frankly uneducated comment.

there are many people for whom “signing on” is soul destroying and dignity crushing and there but for the grace of god don’t think it can never happen to you and you may need a bit of help - I did and I hated it before I was lucky enough to get back on my feet. I paid my whole life in to the system and if some superiority complexed being like you called me a dole dosser then I’d probably end up in one of those 5 star cushy cells people like you think prison is!

No its not his fault that he's on a good wage. But its his fault that he feels he deserves to be treated differently to every other joe blogs in the country. People are losing houses, losing jobs, not eating, and he's kicking off because he doesn't feel he should have to do what everyone else had to do during lockdown. And dole dosser is quite a harsh word. But if like you, if you fell on hard times n clawed your way out, then you wouldn't be happy seein a snotty footballer with cash in the hip screamin about having to do the same as everyone else after you've gone through hel just to survive on the dole. So if someone thinks he's right then yes, they either have never worried about money in their life or they're not affected by this because they're on the dole so don't give a shit what everyone else is going through. If they fell on hard luck and theyre on the dole then they would appreciate the pain that everyone is going though or went through and wouldnt stick up for someone who is tryin to grab money when everyone else is struggling

1 minute ago, Chris15Arm said:

No its not his fault that he's on a good wage. But its his fault that he feels he deserves to be treated differently to every other joe blogs in the country. People are losing houses, losing jobs, not eating, and he's kicking off because he doesn't feel he should have to do what everyone else had to do during lockdown. And dole dosser is quite a harsh word. But if like you, if you fell on hard times n clawed your way out, then you wouldn't be happy seein a snotty footballer with cash in the hip screamin about having to do the same as everyone else after you've gone through hel just to survive on the dole. So if someone thinks he's right then yes, they either have never worried about money in their life or they're not affected by this because they're on the dole so don't give a shit what everyone else is going through. If they fell on hard luck and theyre on the dole then they would appreciate the pain that everyone is going though or went through and wouldnt stick up for someone who is tryin to grab money when everyone else is struggling

Let's keep it simple, he earns say 5 k a week, that's 20k a month. He will have outgoing Bill's of say 8k a month. How does he pay these Bill's? He said himself he accepted furlough. The rest is speculation, the rumour is he was offered the top up then it was pulled. He isnt to blame for wanting to provide for himself and his family.

1 minute ago, Chris15Arm said:

We don’t know Wheater’s situation, he presumably has financial commitments that he made in line with the salary he was anticipating, just like anyone else. Unless someone knows different.

And unless I missed it, we don’t know what agreements were reached with the owner.

Calling anyone out without understanding any of this feels off to me.

3 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

bullshit - you made a generalised insult and got called out on it. You see people at the job centre and assume they are dossers.

I met many people at the job centre including someone who presented as what you may call a “scrote” he was an engineer - unemployed after he got hooked on alcohol after losing his mum. Lovely articulate man who I still speak to and who is now in a management position. People like you make me sick and if you get paid a pittance for looking after kids and don’t like it get another job you angel of mercy- bet you want us to clap you doing your job too 

1 minute ago, Luis Enrique said:

We don’t know Wheater’s situation, he presumably has financial commitments that he made in line with the salary he was anticipating, just like anyone else. Unless someone knows different.

And unless I missed it, we don’t know what agreements were reached with the owner.

Calling anyone out without understanding any of this feels off to me.

I'll call people out when they think footballers are entitled to more than the rest of us. People who have lost their lives to this virus, people have lost their homes and jobs, people can't afford their bills because of furlough, yet people on here say its OK to demand full pay when he's earnt millions in his career? That's off. I apologise for causing offence to anyone but wheater shud b missing bills like the rest of the hard workin folk that have been furloughed or worse lost a member of their family. But its OK for a footballer to demand a top up because he can't pay his Mercedes payments

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

bullshit - you made a generalised insult and got called out on it. You see people at the job centre and assume they are dossers.

I met many people at the job centre including someone who presented as what you may call a “scrote” he was an engineer - unemployed after he got hooked on alcohol after losing his mum. Lovely articulate man who I still speak to and who is now in a management position. People like you make me sick and if you get paid a pittance for looking after kids and don’t like it get another job you angel of mercy- bet you want us to clap you doing your job too 

and would that articulate bloke be happy with someone cryin about losing a couple months wages when his world has fallen apart? Has he got hundreds of people backing him up and going to his boss saying sort his job out? No he hasn't. So like I said people who genuinely can't help signing on wouldnt be happy seeing footballers whinging about money

Archived